HAD GBS and now UTERINE CANCER

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2011 at 10:45 am

Hi Everyone,

In 1998, I was diagnosed with GBS, was paralyzed briefly (facial paralysis lasted longer) and had 10 plasmapheresis treatment. I still have residual weakness and paralysis, just a bit. It took about a little more than five years before everything felt almost normal (99%).

Last year, I was diagnosed with uterine cancer and had surgery called TAH+BSO. The incision is bikini style. It’s been over a year since my surgery and I’m still having pain in the pelvic area. My doctor could not find anything wrong, I wonder if GBS has kicked in, since the nerve ending (or beginning?) is in the pelvic area. It’s a very uncomfortable feeling. It feels like as if someone if trying to pull or push down the pelvic area really hard. Sometimes, it feels like as if I’m carrying a heavy load, more so after I lift something heavy. But I also find, that even if I didn’t lift anything heavy, I still get this feeling from time to time. I never had a child, so I can’t compare the feeling being pregnant. Sometimes, I also get this burning sensation (more so on the left side of my pelvic area) which is quite intense and it stays for few days.

These sensations/pain that I am having now is quite similar to when I had GBS, but in the legs (especially in my left leg) and face. I remember having pain and weakness and burning sensation even if I was idle. I am wondering if anyone of you has similar experience, kindly share or if any doctor is reading this, can you please tell me what to do. Thank you.:confused:

• Anonymous
      October 14, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I’m probably not much help but I too just was diagnosed with uterine cancer. I had GBS in 2002, not a complete recovery but have dealt with residuals for 9 years and was getting along fine. In Aug. I had a hysterectomy. Within 2 weeks I was back in surgery with a bowel obstruction. Am trying to recover from the resulting weakness, which has really taken a toll on me. Trying to get healthcare people to understand GBS has been a nightmare for me. After second surgery the physical therapists showed up and insisted I learn to get up out of a low chair to get my strength back. It took a complete meltdown before they got the message. I am presently in rehab due to go home next week. My incision and abdoman are not giving me any pain. I was very worried about surgery causing recurrence of GBS. I really don’t know how I am going to be able to deal with chemo and radiation. I wish you the best and hope you find answers to your questions.