Growing pains or CIDP?

• Anonymous
      February 15, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I know I said I was taking a break but I need advice…

Emily has been complaining of pains in her hips, front of her thighs, & calves. Sometimes she will scream because the pain is so intense. It even wakes her up in the middle of the night.

We were on our way to her neuro appointment today when the brake lights went out of my car – so we had to drive back home & reschedule for next week. (my husband is fixing the problem now…hopefully!)

She doesn’t seem to have any other CIDP symptoms & her eye seems to be ok.

It’s just so difficult to know!

Every time she has any pains it takes me back to before she was diagnosed when I was so desperate for answers. I knew something was wrong but I just kept getting told it was “growing pains”. Now whenever someone suggests growing pains I just shut down & don’t want to hear it.

Does anyone remember having growing pains or have kids who have had them? What were they like? Emily says it feels like her legs are going to explode. Can anyone relate CIDP symptoms to that?

Thanks.
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      February 15, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I remember having pain in my legs and calves at night when I was a child, and it would be quite painful. It was like a deep ache. My mom would tell me to drink more milk. My husband (6’8″) had a lot of these too. 🙂 Sounds to me like it could be growing pains.

• Anonymous
      February 15, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Thank you.

I would REALLY like to believe that. I’m just super paranoid!

It’s so difficult to figure out what is going on when I’m not the one experiencing the pains.

When all of this first started Emily would complain of “strawberries” and “nuts”. I had no idea what she was talking about. It was the people on this forum that told me what they really were.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      February 15, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Kelly,

I am a mom too (2 and 4) so I can relate. I am very paranoid too. My son has had some medical issues, and I have to be hypervigilant. Good luck!

Jessica

• Anonymous
      February 15, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Kelly,
      As a child, I had terrible pains in the legs. My mom and family all said they were growing pains. Mom always gave me alcohol rubs and It did sooth them.
      Hope it is nothing more serious with Emily.
      Good luck
      Shirley

• February 15, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Hi Kelly,
      We get those predominantly in the hamstring area, occassionally in the calves. There has been a 3 inch growth spurt in the last 2 months. Growing pains or cidp? Who knows!

• Anonymous
      February 15, 2010 at 7:46 pm

[QUOTE=Emily’s_mom]I know I said I was taking a break but I need advice…

Emily has been complaining of pains in her hips, front of her thighs, & calves. Sometimes she will scream because the pain is so intense. It even wakes her up in the middle of the night.

We were on our way to her neuro appointment today when the brake lights went out of my car – so we had to drive back home & reschedule for next week. (my husband is fixing the problem now…hopefully!)

She doesn’t seem to have any other CIDP symptoms & her eye seems to be ok.

It’s just so difficult to know!

Every time she has any pains it takes me back to before she was diagnosed when I was so desperate for answers. I knew something was wrong but I just kept getting told it was “growing pains”. Now whenever someone suggests growing pains I just shut down & don’t want to hear it.

Does anyone remember having growing pains or have kids who have had them? What were they like? Emily says it feels like her legs are going to explode. Can anyone relate CIDP symptoms to that?

Thanks.
      Kelly[/QUOTE]
      Hi Emily’s MOm

Growing pains ? No. Dont talk the medic who told you that again. See another one. They are just too eager to be dismissive.

Good luck

John

• Anonymous
      February 15, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Hi Kelly,

Poor Emily.

Oh yes…I have been having pains in my legs. There’s one spot in my calf that feels like an intense stabbing shooting pain – it is that painful. I can’t do anything when it happens (can’t walk, move, anything – except yell from the pain)…I have to wait for it to subside – luckily it goes within a few minutes, though I can have it happen several times a day. I am also having a lot of stiffness in my legs, hips, knees – my muscles feel contracted all of the time. I seem to be having more pain, even though some of my other CIDP stuff has subsided. I thought (with me anyway) it may have had something to do with the fact that I have been doing more physically (because I can now) and my nerves/muscles were complaining!

It’s not growing pains with me – I’m 50. I can remember having leg pains sometimes at night as a child – but they were not as painful as what I experience now.

Kazza

• Anonymous
      February 15, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Thanks all!

Emily seems to be feeling better for now. She gets better after Motrin. (which then causes her to have a stomach ache) All I’ve read about growing pains seems to fit but I just don’t know. Of course I’m going to worry myself to death over this.

She checks out fine with the neuro tests that I do. I have her stand on her tip toes, walk on her heels, jump 10 times on each foot, sit down & stand up real quick.

She hasn’t been doing anything physical that is out of the ordinary. I’ve been thinking it might have to do with the cold temperatures too. She started with the pains last week but was well enough to go sledding on Saturday.

John – I was told she had growing pains 4 years ago before she was diagnosed with GBS. She presented with pain in her legs, feet & arms. I took her to the dr multiple times over a 3 month period & the pediatrician couldn’t think of anything else that could have been causing the pains.

Now if a dr just wanted to dismiss her pain I would probably smack them up side the head..or at least seriously imagine doing it! LOL!

Thanks again all! I think I’m going to just keep an eye on it. She gets her IVIG treatment on Thursday so I guess if she feels better by this weekend then I will know it was CIDP. I just hate the guessing.

Kelly (taking everything Dawn says with a grain of salt!)

• Anonymous
      February 15, 2010 at 11:56 pm

I am not sure if would help her but it helps me.

I use a warm rice bag when my legs and feet are hurting me.

It helps me with the pain so I thought I would share.

Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Kelly,

Has Emily had a growing spurt lately? The only time my daughter complained of growing pains was when she went through a significant growth spurt. If not, then maybe it does need further consideration.

However, my daughter never screamed or cried from that, so I would definitely discuss it with her doctor. Do you keep a journal/record? I find it helps me a great deal when I go see my doctor. Just a suggestion …

I’m glad the motrin is helping. I hope Emily gets relief! Heat helps me, so Rhonda’s suggestion might help.

• Anonymous
      February 17, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Rhonda – Thanks for the advice on the rice bag. I think I’m going to try it.

Linda Martin – Emily’s body is pretty much constantly changing. I can see her body shape is changing but I don’t know if she’s actually grown in height.

I do keep a journal & a binder for Emily. I have records of every blood tests, infusion, etc. I also write down on a calendar any day she has pains or just doesn’t feel well.

We have noticed, with Emily, that pain seems to be more intense for her. It doesn’t surprise me that she was crying from the pain at all. Skinning her knee just about kills her. I mean, of course it hurts, but it seems to hurt her more than the average kid. We think that is related to her CIDP. Emily is a very unusual CIDP’er after all.

Thanks for the suggestions. Her legs seem to be better today but now she’s dealing with a terrible stomach ache from the Motrin. I’m really thinking she has Leaky Gut. We just might be doing the pig worm eggs soon if nothing else works.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      February 17, 2010 at 7:13 pm

What a great mom you are Kelly – full marks !

• Anonymous
      February 17, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Why thank you John. I just do what I can & try my best.

Kelly