Griffith on TV

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2007 at 1:38 am

Andy Griffith was just on The Insider tonight speaking alittle about GBS and showing he has residuals also. He used a wheelchair to go down the airport hallways and a cane to help him walk from the wheelchair to the car. He also stated he has pain. Just thought I would share it.

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2007 at 8:21 am

Didn’t know he had GBS.

I really like him as an actor. He always reminded me of my dad, they have the same look and build.

He used to perform in a bar on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, in the 1960’s.

Lori

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2007 at 2:41 pm

Thank you for the heads up. I see that The Insider is on here this evening on CBS at 7:30 PM so maybe that is the same one you seen.

In 1983 Andy Griffith was stricken with Guillain-Barre Syndrome, couldn’t walk for 7 months but he recovered after rehabilitation.

In 1986 he produced and starred in the very successful TV series “Matlock”.

When I got GBS in 2005 the staff of the hospital told me about him and I knew he had gotten better. That information gave me hope. After arriving home and finding this forum I noticed he was an Honorary Member of the Board. I am glad he got this appearance on The Insider to spread the word about GBS. I also was glad they gave him the time to mention the residuals and the pain and that he is also dependant on a wheelchair to keep some independence in his life. Most Doctors don’t know about the residuals and pain. They just tell you that you will get better! We know you [B]G[/B]et [B]B[/B]etter [B]S[/B]lowly and there are residuals like the fatigue. 😀

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2007 at 10:08 pm

I remember several years ago, maybe 10 years, we were talking about Andy on here and he said he made a complete recovery. Well, it went on to say he was just paralized from the knees down, and oh yeah, he was in the hospital for only 3 days. In my opinion he didn’t have GBS long enough to even get a taste as what it is like to have a bad dose of GBS. They like to put these kind of people in front of us and show that well…Andy Griffith had it and he made a complete recovery. It made people think now that if they hear of someone with GBS they can remember Ole Andy and his COMPLETE recovery and expect others with GBS to do the same. If he can’t walk and has pain I would say that is not 100 % recovery now…would you ? The reason I am bringing this up now as I remember at that time it made alot of us mad for him saying that. 3 days in the hospital………………………..
      Later folks,
      Drummer

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2007 at 11:44 pm

As an oldtimer as well, I remember that discussion. Not only did he have a very mild case (I think he had to wear AFOs briefly), but didn’t he refuse to talk about it for a long time, & didn’t want to be any kind of spokesperson?

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2007 at 2:41 pm

Just keep in mind-actors have good publicists-his was doing a bang up job until Andy was actually caught using the wheelchair and cain in public.;)

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2007 at 4:55 pm

It reminded of of FDR & his making sure he was never photographed in a wheelchair… It would have definitely hurt his chances of being relected for president if people had know how disabled he really was. I also remember Terri Garr going on a late night talk show a few years ago, talking about her MS & even showing an AFO she had to use. Apparently being ill or disabled means a kiss of death in the entertainment business.

I will cut Andy Griffith some slack on this one, all those years (since Matlock, anyways), he may have had more residuals than he wanted either the public or his employers to know. I sure hope things are a little better now; imagine Christopher Reeves making that remake of Rear Window in his condition, what an effort that must have taken! I still think he was a wonderful role model, even if it did take 24 people to take care of him around the clock. He never gave up trying to help with spinal cord injuries, right up until the end…

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2007 at 6:53 pm

that’s too bad in that I thought he was a lucky one without residuals. 🙁