Green Tea May Help Prevent AutoImmune Disease

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2007 at 12:01 pm

http://www.brightsurf.com/news/headlines/30064/Green_tea_may_help_prevent_autoimmune_diseases.html

Green tea may help prevent autoimmune diseases
      April 20, 2007 – Green tea may help protect against autoimmune disease, Medical College of Georgia researchers say.

Researchers studied an animal model for type I diabetes and primary Sjogren’s Syndrome, which damages the glands that produce tears and saliva.

They found significantly less salivary gland damage in a group treated with green tea extract, suggesting a reduction of the Sjogren’s symptom commonly referred to as dry mouth. Dry mouth can also be caused by certain drugs, radiation and other diseases.

Approximately 30 percent of elderly Americans suffer from degrees of dry mouth, says Dr. Stephen Hsu, a researcher in the MCG School of Dentistry and lead investigator on the study. Only 5 percent of the elderly in China, where green tea is widely consumed, suffer from the problem.

“Since it is an autoimmune disease, Sjogren’s Syndrome causes the body to attack itself and produce extra antibodies that mistakenly target the salivary and lacrimal glands,” he says.

There is no cure or prevention for Sjogren’s Syndrome.

Researchers studied the salivary glands of the water-consuming group and a green tea extract-consuming group to look for inflammation and the number of lymphocytes, a type of white blood cells that gather at sites of inflammation to fend off foreign cells.

The group treated with green tea had significantly fewer lymphocytes, Dr. Hsu says. Their blood also showed lower levels of autoantibodies, protein weapons produced when the immune system attacks itself, he says.

Researchers already know that one component of green tea – EGCG – helps suppress inflammation, according to Dr. Hsu.

“So, we suspected that green tea would suppress the inflammatory response of this disease. Those treated with the green tea extract beginning at three weeks, showed significantly less damage to those glands over time.”

These results, published in a recent issue of Autoimmunity, reinforced findings of a 2005 study showing a similar phenomenon in a Petrie dish, Dr. Hsu says.

Researchers also suspect that the EGCG in green tea can turn on the body’s defense system against TNF-alpha – a group of proteins and molecules involved in systemic inflammation.

TNF-alpha, which is produced by white blood cells, can reach out to target and kill cells.

“The salivary gland cells treated with EGCG had much fewer signs of cell death caused by TNF-alpha,” Dr. Hsu says. “We don’t yet know exactly how EGCG makes that happen. That will require further study. In some ways, this study gives us more questions than answers.”

Further study could help determine green tea’s protective role in other autoimmune diseases, including lupus, psoriasis, scleroderma and rheumatoid arthritis, he says.

Medical College of Georgia

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2007 at 3:08 pm

Hello,

Our dr. just told us last week to give our 3 year old green tea. Have you ever tried to give a 3 year old green tea? Unless it’s mixed with chocolate, he is not going to take it. lol

He must have read that article.

Lori

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2007 at 3:18 pm

Lori:
      Hi, after reading your post about giving your 3 year old green tea, I fell off my chair, I laughed so loud.

Years ago, when my son was 7, all he would eat were bologna sandwiches. For one year. Every day for lunch. Bologna sandwiches. Nothing else.
      Was healthy as a horse. HIs teacher one day called me and said “Listen, you are not doing him any favor by letting him have his way and giving him bologna sandwiches every day”. You need to get him to eat other stuff.

She was right, I never should have done it. But it was easier than fighting with him.

Oh the stuff we look back on.
      Melody

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2007 at 3:51 pm

Hey Melody did you hear about Type A diabetics getting Chemo immune system reboots and never needing treatment again? Saw it on the mainstream news the other day. Just mentioned it since you said you had diabetic neuropathy.

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2007 at 4:11 pm

I saw that in the news too. It gave me great hope that one day there may be a cure for cidp. My brother is a diabetic too.

Lori

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2007 at 6:54 pm

[QUOTE=Dells mom]Hello,

Our dr. just told us last week to give our 3 year old green tea. Have you ever tried to give a 3 year old green tea? Unless it’s mixed with chocolate, he is not going to take it. lol

He must have read that article.

Lori[/QUOTE]

Well, there’s always green tea ice cream. Not as good as chocolate ice cream, but it is still ice cream.

There’s even green tea flavoured Pocky sticks, but I think that you would probably have to eat dozens of those to equal one small cup of tea. Try the ice cream if you can find it (best bet is in a Japanese store if you have one).

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2007 at 7:20 pm

Neat idea about the ice cream. He loves ice cream but got suspicous when we started putting pills in it. We switched off with pudding and ice cream.

Thanks,
      Lori

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 10:26 am

I wouldn’t pin much hopes of Green Tea helping in CIDP. I average 96 tea bags a week (for years) of Green Tea and haven’t noticed anything as far as it helping this disease i’ve had for almost 11 years now.

I will say that i believe Green Tea is great for oxidation and anti aging as i even rub the used Tea bags all over my face and arms to protect from the sun. Most say that i look 33 instead of 43 so maybe that has helped along with genetics??

The only thing that helps for me is low carbs and fish oil and tumeric but i’m not cured. Anyway our genes are different so maybe what works for one will not for another and visaversa.

Good Luck !! Ericc…..

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 11:55 am

Please be aware that green tea does contain a caffeine-like substance. I personally get a buzz just like drinking a cup of coffee.

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 12:43 pm

Wow, Ericc, if I could look 10 years younger by drinking all that tea, I’ll put it in the bathwater, lol. I am 40 and have been using moisturizer for many, many years and wonder if I would look different if I had not started it so long ago.

I see friends that I went to school with and I think I look pretty good, compared to some, but I have never smoked and I think that is one of the major keys.

I would love to buy everything organic but my husband would have to get a 2nd job. I can’t believe how much organic food costs but I do understand why it’s so expensive. Keeping all the bugs off naturally must be very expensive.

When I have a cup of tea in the evening, I am wide awake at 10:00 p.m.

Lori

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 2:04 pm

[QUOTE=Dells mom]

I see friends that I went to school with and I think I look pretty good, compared to some, but I have never smoked and I think that is one of the major keys.

I would love to buy everything organic but my husband would have to get a 2nd job. I can’t believe how much organic food costs but I do understand why it’s so expensive. Keeping all the bugs off naturally must be very expensive.

When I have a cup of tea in the evening, I am wide awake at 10:00 p.m.

Lori[/QUOTE]Lori…..Yeap i’ve never smoked and rarely drank when i was young as i always played competitive sports. I also was bodybuilder in my twenties back in the 1980’s.

I never purchase organic although i’m sure its healthier. There are lots of Centenarians (100 year old) that have not eaten that way (organic) their entire lives….but if you can afford it then go for it.

I hear ya about tea at nite as if i drink any past 7 p.m. or 8 p.m. at nite i’ll wake up at 2 a.m. or 3 a.m. and urinate at nite and that tires me the next day (not healthy).

I always have TWO tea bags per glass and drink it from morning to nite so thats why i drink so much. I usually get the generic Kroger brand at 48 tea bags per box at about $2.80 a box. I just purchased Tumeric this morning so i’ll experiment with this and see what happens. I read alot of the ALS sites and they were mentioning studies with mice with Kennedy’s disease and how Tumeric vastly improved their motor neurons….. but again i take everything with a grain of salt.

What ever happened to those pushing Mannatech as the cure-all several years back??

Good luck !! Ericc……

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 5:30 pm

Here’s me!!!! I’ll be 60 on November 4th.

[IMG]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/melodylubart/00005.jpg[/IMG]

And here’s a picture of me and my hubby. He’s the one undergoing IVIG and who they think MIGHT have CIDP. Looks pretty good. He lost over 75 lbs. Bless him

[IMG]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/melodylubart/AlanandMelodyatwarwick.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 6:31 pm

Melody,

I think you look great. I was laughing with a guy at the store the other day. He’s my dad’s age. We were talking about getting older and I told him, “well, if you stop getting older, it’s because you’re DEAD.”

I guess I would be alot more vain if I didn’t have a sick child to worry about. I need to dye my hair right now but keep putting that off. My husband loves me just the way I am so I am very lucky.

Lori

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 7:54 pm

Green tea …..

marge is better than butter, then back to butter again, margerine, butter, margerine, butter. :confused:

Dont drink coffee, bad for skin, too much caffine etc etc, then researches found that drinking abot 2 cups a day warded off cancer – exactly how did they come to that conclusion?

Same with alcohol, dont drink period, especially when preggie. But red wine – 1 or 2 glasses a day is good for your heart. And whisky, I heard that having some whisky every evening is good for something or other.
      In some countries many mothers and preggie ladies drink Guiness to help their milk …… isnt that alcohol? a glass of sherry while pregnant is supposed to fortify something in the fetus according to some research somewhere a couple of years ago (not in the USA though). Still alcohol is dangerous for the baby, so dont drink ANY.

Dont get me wrong, its good to have people doing research, but every few years it changes again …… O woe is me, what to believe?

[I]*Disclaimer : some statements above have been pulled from the far recesses of my mind, so may not be entirely factual. 😀 [/I]

[I]Everything in moderation? or no?[/I]

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 8:48 pm

Doesn’t wine, or any kind of alcohol make neuropathy worse???

I’m afraid to even have a glass of wine. I’m going to a wedding in June and they’ll have champagne toasts and wine on the table.

I’ll have water. I DO NOT WANT TO AGGRAVATE MY diabetic neuropathy!!!

Melody

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 8:56 pm

Right on Melody…………You look terrific at 60 and i can only hope to look as well as you at the same age…..When i was a kid back in the 70’s my 60 y/o Granny (and Gramps) back then had gray hair and was always sick and ill with every infirmary known to mankind …LOL…

Infact i’m having my two-bag Green Tea drink right now with all the Green Polyphenols in it.

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 9:20 pm

The day you see me with gray hair is the day I give up. I still put on make-up every day. Today I got out my summer wardrobe. All pretty gauze skirts with nice blouses.

I didnt lose over 75 lbs to start wearing black again. Oh no, I may be pushing 60 but in my disco loving heart, I’m 20.

Anybody for a HUSTLE!!!!!! Oh, I just put a photo of my husband and me taken last summer at a reunion of all my cousins. God, I can’t believe we are all in our 60s and 70’s.

We are getting OLD……. Blah!!!
      Do you even remember the Hustle??? I watch Dancing with the Stars every week and I am so jealous. Those gals are great.

melody

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 9:21 pm

Melody,

I think it is recommended that you dont drink with a neuropathy, and doubly so if you are on meds. I was just being silly, because I laugh so often when watching the news about the ‘latest’ studies, contradicting the one before the one before the one before that one.
      Having said that, I do drink wine, G&T and others on occasion, however It often doesnt make me feel very well. I know of quite a few others 😉 on the forum who enjoy the ‘odd’ drink here and there.

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 9:29 pm

Hi Alison:

I have had only one BAD BOUT OF NEUROPATHY!!! Recently I went to my podiatrist to have my feet done. He was doing his thing and then he took out this vibrating tool and did my nails. I nearly jumped out of the chair. Now I had no problems before I went in that chair. Then he took the vibrating tool (kind of like a sanding tool) and he did the bottom of my feet.

Well, when I got home, I wanted to kill someone. My feet were on fire, they were pins and needles, they were buzzing. I could not believe it. I also had a sample of what my husband has been going through for 18 years. I now knew his horrible experience.

Thankfully the next day all that buzzing and burning quieted down.

I will never, and I mean never, have a vibrating ANYTHING on my feet, ever again. Horrible!!!

melody

• Anonymous
      April 22, 2007 at 1:59 pm

Wow Melody looking good there.

The alcohol thing has been discussed before and occasional drinking of liquor etc is not supposed to be able to hurt our neuropathy. David Bod had chimed in and then alot of others did regarding their cocktail consumption.
      But who knows? Like Alison said yesterday’s knowledge is today’s garbage.

Time for me to drink some beer and watch the playoffs 🙂

Oh yeah Im 33 but can still pass for 24 or younger 🙂

• Anonymous
      April 22, 2007 at 3:12 pm

Wow, you are 33 but look 24 or younger.

What do you eat?? Or drink? or wash your face with????? lol

melody

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2007 at 7:57 pm

[QUOTE=grawplyr]

Time for me to drink some beer and watch the playoffs 🙂

[/QUOTE]
      Maybe i should give up Green Tea and start drinking some cold one’s….LOL….

Grawplyr…..i was reading that story on Science Daily and although I drink a ton of Green Tea and it hasn’t helped improve my CIDP i didn’t think that it may have kept it from spreading as i had this going on 11 years and while it bothers my feet and ankles bad as i can still work and not have to go on disability and it does not affect anywhere else in my body.

So just wanted to say thanks for posting news about possible nutrients to help. I just stay away from the Mannatech spammers….

later !

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2007 at 12:55 am

[QUOTE=MelodyL]Wow, you are 33 but look 24 or younger.

What do you eat?? Or drink? or wash your face with????? lol

melody[/QUOTE]
      I have a baby face. Its alot worse if I shave.
      I just started using Jojoba oil and shea butter on my face and it helped me out.

You shouldve seen me when I was 18 and people thought I was 15 😆

[quote=ERICC]Maybe i should give up Green Tea and start drinking some cold one’s….LOL….

Grawplyr…..i was reading that story on Science Daily and although I drink a ton of Green Tea and it hasn’t helped improve my CIDP i didn’t think that it may have kept it from spreading as i had this going on 11 years and while it bothers my feet and ankles bad as i can still work and not have to go on disability and it does not affect anywhere else in my body.

So just wanted to say thanks for posting news about possible nutrients to help. I just stay away from the Mannatech spammers….

later !
      [/quote]

🙂 @ the spammers
      Every once in a while I see some autoimmune news and try to post it if I remember. I never did drink that beer though. I just finished IVIG and now I have a cold courtesy of my toddler so Im not trying to mix drugs and booze. I haven’t been able to work the past few years so anything to help moderate my problems is great for me. I’m feeling the best I have in about 3 years now so maybe Im in for a turn around.