Good News!

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2007 at 11:24 am

As you all know my FIL was in the hospital, well he cam eback and he is doing so much better. He wants to get up and excercise, he wants to spend time with us, like something clicked and he realized I have to deal with this and get better. He reminds us when he needs to excersice. This is so different to when he was at home before he went to the hospital.

Also the OT came yesterday and said that he can get a walker!!! this is such good news for us, he is dying to walk, and once he starts walkign I think we will be a lot stress free. so today i will get him a walker and we will practice a bit tonight. I have to hide it tough, becasue he will try to do it himself I know he will. this morning he slid off the bed, because he forgot to put the brake on the wheelchair before he transfered. But he didnt get hurt, he was just mad!!
      The only thing I dont like is that they start reducing the number of hours of help we can get, as he gets better, I wish he could keep the hours. because he is ghetting better, but we are all at work, and MIL cannot look after him alone. I asked Bayada to review him again and see if he can get more hours.
      anyway, sorry for rambling…..

• August 28, 2007 at 4:50 pm

that is wonderful to hear! Give him a high five for me! And a big hug for you for doing such a great job in a difficult situation.

Good News

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2007 at 3:01 pm

Well I finally got some good news. My insurance will cover everything that my Doctor wrote on the letter in regards to my disability. So that means GBS,Asthma,Rhumatoid Arthritas, And some other things I don’t know how to spell will be covered and the meds to treat them for 2 years. HUGE LOAD off of my shoulders. That plus being ALIVE and getting my social security on the first application gives me alot of gratatude. The 4 weeks in the CCU unit with the Vent for 13 days and 104.5 fever , double pneumonia and paralized from the neck down , I was on the door step but there is some reason I’m still here and I’m sure HE will reveal it to me when the time comes. I’m so glad to be able to post something positive. All of the bad and negative things posted are informative but everyone must keep faith , even when things are getting worse there will be a turning poing when things start improving. EVERYONE PLEASE KEEP HANGING IN THERE!
      Tim:)

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2007 at 3:47 pm

Tim, congrats I am so happy for you, what a huge relief 🙂

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2007 at 3:48 pm

Congratulations!

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2007 at 3:54 pm

That is Great News Tim!!!!!!!:)

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2007 at 3:55 pm

Yay, Yay, YAY!!!! That is absolutley wonderful news Tim 😀 . I think its the news you needed to hear.

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2007 at 10:06 pm

Hi Tim – What great news! We’re all pulling for you, and you’re right. positive feedback is very important! Good luck and good health!

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2007 at 10:07 pm

Great news Tim 🙂

Sue

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2007 at 10:19 pm

High fives!!! Glad to hear your news!!!

Leanne

• Anonymous
      April 13, 2007 at 6:11 am

Congrads Tim sure is nice to hear your good news. Its always nice hearing something positive and good. Yah

good news

• Anonymous
      April 9, 2007 at 8:21 pm

Hello To All,
      I Have Not Been Here Since Jan./o7 I Just Wanted to Share W/everyone That I Just Went Back To Work Light Duty Working 4-6 Hours A Day Depending On How I Feel. I Stopped Using The 4 Point Cane About A Month Ago And I Have Not Had Any Falls. (gbs Affected My Balance, Coordination, And Stability) I Still Get The Burning Sensation In My Left Leg And Bottom Of My Foot From Time To Time Of Which My Neurologists Tells Me Thats Great News Because The Mylin Sheathing Is Regrowing, I Do Not Take The Gabapentin As Often As I Use To Anymore. It Does Feel Great Getting Out The House Again On My Own.

So To Everyone Whose Still 100% Or So That Is Still Impacted By Gbs I Will Continue To Pray For You.

Good Luck To All And May Good Bless You And Your Family.

• Anonymous
      April 9, 2007 at 9:43 pm

Wonderful news, and I hope you continue to do well. Please remember not to overdo things as we often pay for overdoing it. Well done on working again, it really helps to feel as though we have accomplished something.

I wanted to ask where you were from, if you dont mind as you have spelled your user name differently. dont feel you have to answer.

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2007 at 7:01 am

Congratulation being able to return to work. Much success in your continued recovery. Continue to be attentive to your needs for rest. Take care and be well.

• April 10, 2007 at 1:35 pm

I am so happy that your life is returning back to normal. Keep up the good work and good luck! Dawn;)

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2007 at 4:14 pm

[B][COLOR=”SeaGreen”]stay the course…..one foot in front of the other…..you will eventually get there.[/COLOR][/B]

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2007 at 1:26 am

Hey Dawn,

I Just Wanted T Sat Thank You For The Reply.
      May God Bless You And Your Family.

Good news!

• Anonymous
      March 21, 2007 at 2:36 pm

Well…after 2 1/2 years (when I was diagnosed with GBS) things are looking up a little.

I applied for social security disability in Sept of 2006. I kept trying to return to work, but couldn’t. Finally, after I swallowed my pride, I applied for benefits.

I was given all the horror stories about being denied benefits, and was mentally prepared for the worst.

Well…I was approved the first time through, and got my back pay at the beginning of this month, and will get my regular monthly checks beginning April 3rd.

My 3 year-old daughter has also received her back pay, and will get her monthly benefits on the same day as I do.

Everyone I dealt with at Social Security was professional and VERY helpful.

I was never sent to any other Doctors (I had all my medical info in order the day I applied), or was made to jump through any other hoops. I had to visit my local Soc Sec office twice…the first time when I applied, and the second time to drop off birth certs for my daughter and I.

It isn’t a lot of money, but after 2 1/2 years making it on my wife’s income it seems like a million dollars.

So…if you are struggling now, and aren’t sure if you can get benefits YOU HAVE EARNED and worked for…apply. Do it. It doesn’t mean you will be disabled forever, but we have earned our social security. It isn’t welfare, it isn’t charity, this is the money we have worked for and paid into the system. It isn’t “SSI”…it is SSD, for workers who have become disabled.

It will help, and it also lets me know I am still contributing to my family’s care and upkeep.

• Anonymous
      March 21, 2007 at 3:37 pm

[B]Congratulations Sean on getting SS the first time around. My husband was lucky in that he also got SS the first time around too. They will eventually send you to a Dr of their choice, probably after a year to see if you are still disabled according to their guidelines. 🙂 .[/B]

• Anonymous
      March 21, 2007 at 4:19 pm

Sean,
      Congratualtions! Applying for SSD can be overwhelming especially when you are sick. They usually need so many copies of documents and records that it pushes a lot of people away. Fortunately, they seemed to treat you as if you were a human being. We always have to keep trying.

• Anonymous
      March 21, 2007 at 10:50 pm

Like Brandy said they will ask you to see their doctor some day. I received a letter after I got SSD in CA which said they would have me see their doctor in 5 years. That was 2 1/2 years ago. I’m sure there are people here that have been required to see an SSD doctor, maybe they can tell us how long it was before SSD contacted them. I would be interested in that. Still congratulations I know how good that feels.
      John

• Anonymous
      March 21, 2007 at 11:30 pm

sean that is great news!!!! i’m sooo glad it went well for you. keep in touch.:)

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2007 at 6:58 am

Congrats Sean, what a relief. I am glad to hear that things are looking up for you and your family. Take care.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2007 at 8:01 am

Congratulations to Sean and his daughter. Good work Sean you are amoung the few that I have heard of that get approval the first time. Good job of getting all your ducks in a row.

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2007 at 10:42 am

[QUOTE=Jerimy]Congrats Sean, what a relief. I am glad to hear that things are looking up for you and your family. Take care.

Jerimy[/QUOTE]

Hey Jerimy,

I am a Michigander too…I was born near Flint, and lived there until I was out of high school (went to Kearsley).

As I type this I am wearing a MICHIGAN t-shirt and ball cap.

GO BLUE!

Thanks for the kind words. It has had it’s rough patches, but we did okay, it is just a little less of a load now.

I have to say their HAVE been some good things out of the GBS…I have been able to be home with my daughter and see things most dads never get to see. She has never been in daycare, other than the 10 days I was hospitalized with GBS.

So, all in all, I TRY to look on this as a challenge, not a tragedy.

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2007 at 12:48 pm

Congrats Sean, what a load off your mind it must be. 🙂

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2007 at 3:47 pm

Nate was approved within 5 mos of me applying for him. He had no problems with all the info I provided them as well as his doc providing all they needed.
      He is on SSD also as he doesn’t qualify for SSI. You actually get more anyway on SSD.
      They told him he will be on SSD as long as he is still disabled.
      I figure probably close to another year for him.

Good news from here also. Today Nate was able to get in and out of his own car for the first time in 15 mos.
      We always take our Explorer because its seats are level with his hips but it needs a new alternator so we can’t drive it.
      So we took Nate’s car, a 93 Toyota Camry.
      We got to PT and he took a breath, grabbed the door and the side of the car and stood up.
      He gave me a surprised look and I gave him one too. Then we both smiled.
      His legs are getting a little stronger than either of us thought.
      Trudy, Natesmom
      Nate GBS 1-6-06
      Discharged from Hospital 9-30-06

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2007 at 4:28 pm

Hey Sean, nice to hear your from here and your a Michigan fan too, I knew I liked you :p. You have a great attitude and getting the extra time with your daughter certainly is a bonus that you wouldn’t of had otherwise. My ex-gf was from Lapeer so I spent alot of time out that way for about 3 years. Take care and if I can ever do anything, email or PM me. Take care and Go Blue.

Jerimy

[quote=sean85746]Hey Jerimy,

I am a Michigander too…I was born near Flint, and lived there until I was out of high school (went to Kearsley).

As I type this I am wearing a MICHIGAN t-shirt and ball cap.

GO BLUE!

Thanks for the kind words. It has had it’s rough patches, but we did okay, it is just a little less of a load now.

I have to say their HAVE been some good things out of the GBS…I have been able to be home with my daughter and see things most dads never get to see. She has never been in daycare, other than the 10 days I was hospitalized with GBS.

So, all in all, I TRY to look on this as a challenge, not a tragedy.[/quote]

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2007 at 6:39 pm

[QUOTE=Natesmom]Nate was approved within 5 mos of me applying for him. He had no problems with all the info I provided them as well as his doc providing all they needed.
      He is on SSD also as he doesn’t qualify for SSI. You actually get more anyway on SSD.
      They told him he will be on SSD as long as he is still disabled.
      I figure probably close to another year for him.

Good news from here also. Today Nate was able to get in and out of his own car for the first time in 15 mos.
      We always take our Explorer because its seats are level with his hips but it needs a new alternator so we can’t drive it.
      So we took Nate’s car, a 93 Toyota Camry.
      We got to PT and he took a breath, grabbed the door and the side of the car and stood up.
      He gave me a surprised look and I gave him one too. Then we both smiled.
      His legs are getting a little stronger than either of us thought.
      Trudy, Natesmom
      Nate GBS 1-6-06
      Discharged from Hospital 9-30-06[/QUOTE]

I am glad to hear that,

I was pretty much able to walk (with a cane or walker) from the day I was released from the hospital…but I can still only walk 100ft or so before my legs want to stop on me.

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2007 at 6:40 pm

[QUOTE=Jerimy]Hey Sean, nice to hear your from here and your a Michigan fan too, I knew I liked you :p. You have a great attitude and getting the extra time with your daughter certainly is a bonus that you wouldn’t of had otherwise. My ex-gf was from Lapeer so I spent alot of time out that way for about 3 years. Take care and if I can ever do anything, email or PM me. Take care and Go Blue.

Jerimy[/QUOTE]

You too man. I am always around, and my yahoo messenger handle is:

sean85746

So, you can always feel free to PM me…that goes for anyone who needs to chat or if anyone is feeling down or cruddy…just let me know you are from gbsfi.

• Anonymous
      March 23, 2007 at 10:31 am

Sean,

Just poking in to say hi to you Michiganer’s… I was born in Grand Rapids. Have many relatives up that way I have never met. Maybe some day I will get back ‘home’. Meanwhile, I remain an Okie 😮

P.S. I almost forgot – CONGRATULATIONS! This is very good news!

• Anonymous
      March 23, 2007 at 1:22 pm

Congrats Sean I’m really glad for you. GO BLUE!!!

• Anonymous
      March 23, 2007 at 2:21 pm

congratulations!!!, I wasn’t that lucky, in my case the ss wouldn’t cover for half of what we needed to survive.:rolleyes:

simon.

• Anonymous
      March 24, 2007 at 8:22 am

That is great news Sean. Congratulations!

I live in the Netherlands, so things may be a little different her, but I will have to go for a medical examination for my disibality status in a week. Although I asked and got support on this forum which helped tremendously, I am still a bit nervous about it. But your post makes me feel more confidant. Thanks!