good bye from gene

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2008 at 9:28 pm

dear gbsfi friends,

it is with great disappointment that i inform you i will not be able to visit this site any longer. i have leukemia & only weeks to live. please forgive me for no longer answering my pms, emails, & posts to these threads. never give up. never give in. good luck, gene

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2008 at 10:24 pm

Dear Gene –

I’m very sorry to read this.

I am at a loss for words. I just don’t know what to say. You’ve been such a support for everyone here. I hope that your last days are full of love and comfort.

HUGS,
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2008 at 10:28 pm

It was with a great amount of shock and tears that I read your post. I am so very sorry that now you have to face this new crisis, your family as well. Although we have never met, I remember you as one of the “old-timers” on the original sight when I joined back in 2002. You were/are always so ready and willing to help out almost everyone who posted; even long after your recovery from GBS. How we teased you about your lack of capital letters & your short, to the point posts. But I am so sorry that I never got to meet the man Gene in person.

As another old-timer I must say that one thing you kept posting was that you saw the most improvement after 26 months. How much that inspired me & kept me going through the first two years of battling a severe case of CIDP, when I saw no improvement. Ironically it was at the 26 month mark that I also began to see the most improvements. But thank you for keeping me going for that long, when I thought the world had ended for me. You have always been such an inspiration to all of us over the years, for that I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I am not very good at expressing myself sometimes. I can’t begin to tell you how much you have meant to all of us & how much your posts will be missed. May God bless you & make the coming weeks as comfortable as possible. You are a great man & I am proud to have known you, even if it was not in person.
      Blessings, Pam

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2008 at 10:33 pm

Dear family,
      I’m not expecting Gene to come back and read replies, but perhaps his family may check for replies from Gene’s family here.

When I read what Gene wrote tears came to my eyes and my thoughts were “God be with you Gene”. I wish we had been able to meet.

Gene was our forum member who always helped someone find a well informed doctor.

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2008 at 10:59 pm

How tragic to lose such a great support. Gene, even though you may never read this, it is important for each and every one of us to put down in words what you have meant to each of us. You were a support, a wealth of knowledge, and an inspiration to so many of us who have struggled over the years with GBS/CIDP. Your yellow banner announcing your post was always a welcome site when I browsed through the forums. I knwo I will personally miss hearing from you and like Pam, wish I could have had a chance to get to know you better and in person.

I wish you peace, comfort and God speed on this new journey in your life. May you find comfort and love with family and friends.

Go in peace, Gene.

With love and respect….

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2008 at 11:53 pm

Oh Gene . . . how I am going to miss you, my “brother”. You are an inspiration, a hero to me. I, too, wish you comfort and peace. I’ll be looking for you on the other side.

with the greatest of respect and love, Judi

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2008 at 11:58 pm

How I will miss those words …… “Take care. Be well”. I cannot comment further, it is just too upsetting and I cannot think straight. For so many years Gene has just always been here and I cant think of it being any other way.

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 2:18 am

Oh Gene!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are such a saint. I, like the others, am speechless. The world will miss a great human. So helpful and selfless.
      I always thought you were employed by the makers of Neurontin…:):)
      How courageous you are….hopefully, we will see you on the other side.
      Thanks for being you, what a treat for anyone associated with you.
      Godspeed,

Perry

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 6:04 am

Gene,
      I am so sorry to hear about the leukemia and I’m sorry we won’t be hearing from you anymore. You have been a constant inspiration to me and I still “hear” your voice saying “rest” everytime I overdo things. Never think you didn’t make an impact in your life – I will remember you always.

Julie

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 7:55 am

Hi Gene
      I don’t think I’ve ever replied to your posts before, but never too late to start. I must say I have read many and you invariably have been a great support and inspiration to many on this forum.
      Probably all of us have wondered what it would be like to be facing our last days, but none of us has actually been there and known for sure what it is like. All I can say is that we will all be praying for you and wishing you strength and courage to enjoy this great gift of life for as long as possible.
      Andrew

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 9:07 am

Oh Gene,

I don’t even know what to say. I had thought recently that I had not seen so many posts from you, and maybe this is why. I have to say, you pretty much gave me sanity the first months through my diagnosis. My physician always answered “I don’t know” and you always gave me an answer that I was indeed normal with what was going on. I always looked for the yellow TEAM flag:) I hope you will come back once more to read what other’s have written to you. Things happen for a reason Gene, and we sometimes don’t know what that reason is. Many people on this site relied on the very helpful information that you provided to guide them through one more day. I was one of those people and I thank you and will say a prayer for you….Take care, Gabrielle

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 10:04 am

Gene –
      This is not good-bye. It is just so-long. Your words will be here for all to read over and over again and continue to give hope and encouragement to many new members yet to come for a long long while. We didn’t meet on this good earth, but we will meet in a better place.

Peace be with you.

Alma

GBS-MFv 1993 and 2004

• April 30, 2008 at 10:08 am

Gene,
      I am sorry to read your news, your physical presence will be missed, but your words will forever be remembered. I pray that you will be comfortable and find peace.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 10:23 am

Gene, my friend:

I am so sorry to hear about your turn of bad fortune. I want you to know that you will be sorely missed. You have been such a stalwart on this site. You are one of the bedrocks which this GBS community is founded upon.

Please know that you have helped so many people here. Our debt to you is unpayable. Your life has been a life well lived.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Lee

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 11:07 am

Hi Everybody:

I have met Gene and what a wonderful person – his wife Phyl is just as nice. I feel absolutely sick inside. Gene has been wonderful support to me and it is just hard to grab when something like this happens……oh it’s so sad…it’s difficult to keep the tears from flowing.

I’m sure you will miss his posts as he has been a tremendous support on the GBS Forum.

Just know we are ALL thinking of you buddy……love ya!

Hugs, Marion (Myrt)

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 11:24 am

Hello Family,
      I just wanted to say a little more. Does anyone know of a way that our posts could be sent to Gene’s wife and family? I wish there was a way that our foundation could honor Gene. Maybe we all can by keeping his words alive “Take care Be well” in our posts in memory of Gene. I almost met Gene last December, but my plans had to be canceled.

The angels are with you, Take care Gene, Be Well now in heaven.

Jesus Gentle Shepard Hear Me
      Bless our Friend Gene Tonight

Through the Dark Days be Thou Near Him
      Bring Him Home One Mornings Light.

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 1:09 pm

Gene this saddens my heart. Your input on this board has been invaluble to me as well as others. My prayers are with you and your family. Hope to meet you in the ressurection when we all have healed bodies. (and young ones I might add) no illness or sorrow. May God ease your pain and sorrow.

Joseph

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Gene,
      Thank you, thank you for being here for all of us, for being you, for giving us the help and words of encouragement we all needed. I just met you recently on the forums and felt like I lost a very good friend when I read your post. You have been an angel to a lot of people and will continue to do so when you are living in Gods house.
      Prayers for you and your loved ones.
      You will be deeply missed
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 2:06 pm

There isnt anything I can say that others havent already said.

I am saddened.

God bless you, Gene.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 2:46 pm

Dearest Gene:

It is with a heavy heart that I bid you adieu.

It has been MY honor to have benefited from your many words of wisdom,
      strength and hope.

Thank you for sharing your goodness with all of us who have come to know
      and love you.

God only takes the BEST….. prayers for the journey continue….

“Take care and Be Well”.

Heaven will be a welcoming place with YOU there – send us rainbows!!

Love and prayers…………MaureenBoz

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 4:55 pm

Dear Gene:

Sorry that you’ve had such tough breaks… I wish and hope you know that you have helped a great many people on this site, myself included… And perhaps, that is the greatest measure, is what others think of you and your deeds…
      Take care of yourself as best you can, and may God guide you on your journey, as you are never alone…
      Thanks

Dean

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 5:40 pm

I just wanted to say it feels like I am in a bad dream. It can’t be our Gene with all the answers to everything who has been a good friend to everyone. We will miss you.
      You should be seated at the right hand of the father Our lord as you are a Saint on Earth and you will be in Heaven.

I will never never forget you.

Sue

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 5:59 pm

Gene,

I feel like I have been punched in the stomach. I wanted you to know that you have always given me strength with your posts and comments. Your such a great person, it is not fair that this has happened to you. I will never forget you Gene, thanks for being so much support for me and for being such a great friend. I will never forget you buddy, your in my thoughts and prayers.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 7:48 pm

🙁 Dearest Gene,
      Just like the others I too am so saddened to
      hear of your news. Your posts have always
      been supportive and helpful and I truly appreciate
      the man that you are. I hope and pray that you
      will be surrounded by family and friends who can
      be there for you, as you have been there for so
      many of us. “Take Care” dear Gene, and please
      know you helped many people in your life.

Love Always,

Joyce Mayeda-Wong

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 8:22 pm

Gene,
      You are a week away from your two year anniversary of being on this site and helping others. And now you tell us that you are close to graduating from this Earth School. We are sad, because you have made an impression on all of us. If this is all an illusion as some esoteric schools teach us, then you are off on a wonderful adventure. Whatever is over there on the Other Side, you will go loaded with good deed points for all your help on this site. I have read that the way to know whether your lessons are over – if you are still here, then they aren’t. You must have completed your graduate work and will soon be advancing onward and upward. Namaste.

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Gene, I am so sorry to hear your news. You have encouraged many of us and we are sad. Sending prayers your way. May God bless you.

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 10:09 pm

[B]My Dearest Sweet Friend,

It has been my greatest pleasure having you as my friend. I will always fondly remember all of our talks about our home town and some of the same people that we know together in high school. My heart is heavy with pain.
      I want you to know you will always have a place in my heart and my memories
      You are a very special person who has helped so many people over the last 6-7 years or more since we are on this web site, there is a special place for you in God’s home.

May the Peace Of God surround you, may he wrap you in his arms with comfort and love.[/B]

My Love To Phyllis and may she find comfort in God’s love.

So it is with a broken heart that I say goodbye to you my dearest friend.

Ti Amo Gene

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2008 at 2:11 am

Gene, you have touched so many, many lives and helped so many people. I wish for this time to be one filled with love and peace and no pain. There is a better place waiting; it is just that we will miss you.
      WithHope

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2008 at 6:00 am

Gene,

I hope you get a chance to visit the forums one last time so you leave this world knowing that you have had a profound effect on so many people.

I have read so many posts of yours, you have been a constant on this site since i joined and i cant imagine this site without your customary “take care be well” … just a few words that carried so much meaning. I only wish there were some parting words that i could say that would mean as much.

I am crying here on the other side of the world, but it is not for you i cry but for us that will sorely miss you. This site will not be the same without you.

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2008 at 12:07 pm

To Gene,

My life was enriched knowing you. I’ll never forget when we met in San Diego and we got to know each other. One of the pluses in my post GBS part of life. Forever a true friend.
      Marc

• May 1, 2008 at 12:11 pm

I am in tears! I am so sorry this has happened. My prayers will be with you and your family Gene. I dont know what else to say, my heart hurts for you.

Thank you for all your advice and help. You truly are an inspiration. God Bless you and may you have peace in this moment.

Lori

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Gene: You have clearly helped many of us with your information and presence. This is so sudden and shocking-I wish you the greatest joy on the greatest adventure you are taking just a little sooner than the rest of us. Be at peace. Jeff

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2008 at 1:21 pm

Dear Gene,

I can’t say how sad I am right now after reading your post. Three years ago, when my fiancee Ben was in critical care with GBS, and I didn’t think he’d make it, I came on this sight looking for answers, and you were always here to help. You never let me get my hopes up too much during that critical time, but instead, you gave it to me straight and told me what to expect, and you helped me to know what to ask of his doctors and nurses in the hospital. You made it possible for me to be able to deal with the worst situation I’ve ever been through in my life.

Now, as you and your family are going through this critical time in your life, I hope you’re able to find comfort in God’s love, and I truly hope you know how much your GBS family loves you and will miss you. It has been such a blessing and a gift from God to have known you, and I will never forget the special man named Gene whom I was lucky to have known for three years and two months.

Thank you again for everything you’ve brought to this forum and our family.

Love always,

Shannon

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Dear Gene, Rest my Freind. Enjoy Your time with Your Family and Your Best Friend Phyllis. Thank You for being here for Us, I will miss your strength and wisdom. Know You will have no pain on the Other Side, You have earned it My Friend. You and Your Family are in My Prayers and Thoughts.

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Good bye to you Gene… but not for long as we will meet someday. There is deep sadness in my heart for your family and us (your other family).

May God Bless You

Your friend forever

• Anonymous
      May 2, 2008 at 12:40 am

[B][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3]Gene I am so sorry to hear this, I just lost another one of my relatives on the 16th of april. A cousin who had pancreatic cancer this made 7 relatives I lost since Dec 23, my grandmother passed away in 1980 she had a juvenile form of Leukemia. She only lived for 2 wks after she was diagnosed with it. You are in my thoughts ![/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

• Anonymous
      May 2, 2008 at 7:19 am

Gene,

Like everyone else who has been on this board for years and years, it will be hard not to read your posts….
      You have been an inspiration to so many people and a truly caring knowledgeable person.
      Know that you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers as you go on this journey.
      I will miss you.

Pep

• Anonymous
      May 2, 2008 at 10:25 am

Gene,
      May you find peace and happiness during your final days. Please know that you will be greatly missed for all your knowledge, patience, and kind words. You provided assistance to so many over the time that you were with us and for that we are truly grateful.

• Anonymous
      May 2, 2008 at 4:07 pm

I first found this website in 9/06 when my daughter was diagnosised with GBS and Gene was the first person to respond to my first question. He was honest, straight forward and extremely knowledgable. Since then, whenever I saw a post by Gene, I always knew that it was information that I could trust and understand.

Gene has been an angel to those he has assisted and will continue to be.

• Anonymous
      May 2, 2008 at 9:56 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][COLOR=”DarkOrchid”]It saddens my heart to read this about Gene

Gene, May angels hold you tightly during this difficult time and always. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers

ellen (summer)[/COLOR][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      May 3, 2008 at 2:24 am

Hey buddy,

I’m sorry to hear that things are not going so well for you.

I hope that the last few times on this earth are filled with conversations with the important people in your life and that you are able tell everyone of them that you love them and that you get to hear the same.

May the Creator give you peace and grace.

Dion

• Anonymous
      May 3, 2008 at 4:47 pm

Oh Gene,

My heart aches over your news. I’m so sorry this is happening to you.

Thank you for giving so much of yourself to every one of us you have helped.
      I hope you will go on the rest of your journey, knowing that you have made a difference in the lives of many people.

May angels will watch over you, and gently ease you from this world. I will never forget you.

With love, Suzanne

• Anonymous
      May 5, 2008 at 12:16 am

[SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua]To Gene and his family,
      Thank you for sharing your life with us and for traveling this journey with each of us. My heart is with you as you are eternally connected to everyone you touched.
      Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
      Linda
      [/FONT][/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2008 at 11:07 am

Gene,
      You are in my thoughts and prayers.
      I has been good knowing you and thank you so much for your support and help.

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2008 at 2:25 pm

To Gene and family

Im not good at expressing my feeling in english …Im so sorry what you are

going through .

You are in our prayers .

God Bless you and your family .

Maria

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2008 at 9:04 am

Gene and Family,

I’ve always been insipred and more educated when I read your posts.

I will borrow words from one of your posts; take care, and be well. I’ll never forget that. And yes, I do get alot of rest now, and feel better for it. Thank you.

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2008 at 11:55 pm

Dear Gene and Family,
      I’ve been away for a while and was saddened to get you last posting. I know you will probably not see this post, but hopefully one of you family can pass it one to you.
      You and your family will be in my prayers each day. I know you said “good by” by it really is “I’ll see you later”. You have been a help to so many who have come to the forum seek answers. Now it is our turn to help you and your family through prayer during your final journey. “Vaya con Dios”, my friend.

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2008 at 5:11 am

Dear Gene & Family

After lot of days I visited this site and my eyes were fixed on subject of this thread. For a while I did not understand what I am “seeing”. Very shaking I opened the thread and knew the meaning of it.

It is very shocking for me to read the post. I read your sentence “i have leukemia & only weeks to live” and lost myself a while. It remembers my mother’s last 10/15 days condition last year.

In our culture, the person who is at the end of his life and no chances of recovery at all, we consider him/her like God.

What else to say. I will always cherish that you are one of the members, who welcomed me first on this forum in June 2005. I will always remember your words “Take Care B Well”

Good Bye

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2008 at 7:52 pm

This is a picture I found on the forum. Not sure which person is Gene but maybe somebody can tell me.

[img]http://home.cogeco.ca/~mashby/Monique/pictures.index/2di1%2007-02%20theatre%20formal%20gene%20phyl%20eil%20walt%20418w.JPG[/img]

Sue

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2008 at 10:25 pm

My heart goes out to all the members of this forum that have lost a very precious member of our TEAM. What a great TEAM member and TEAM leader. If anyone can think who was patient and very active and full of short posts and good answers it was GENE…..so sad for us and my heavy heart goes out to your familly and friends, Gene, they are loosing a GEM!

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2008 at 9:03 am

I am so sorry to hear about your illness and not posting anymore. I have not been on here long but I have read back on many of your posts and they have helped me greatly. My prayers are with you and your family in this very difficult time. It is never good bye though it is just see you later. Take care.
      My thoughts and prayers are with you!
      Jody

• Anonymous
      May 15, 2008 at 9:59 am

[QUOTE=suewatters1]This is a picture I found on the forum. Not sure which person is Gene but maybe somebody can tell me.

[img]http://home.cogeco.ca/~mashby/Monique/pictures.index/2di1%2007-02%20theatre%20formal%20gene%20phyl%20eil%20walt%20418w.JPG[/img]

Sue[/QUOTE]

[B]Gene is the man all the way on the left.[/B]

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2008 at 12:51 pm

🙁 oh my I have been gone for a long while, but feel I must add my thoughts of the wonderful man Gene, who always had time to answer my posts, and give encouragement. You will be missed.

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2008 at 11:54 pm

What do we say. I never had the pleasure of meeting you in person but since 2003 you have become like family to me. I just can’t believe I am reading this. It seems like every day we are losing someone that is precious to us. You are an amazing man and your family should be proud of the help you have given to each of us. As my tears flow I wish you God’s many Blessings and know that I will get the chance to shake your hand some day and tell you thank you for helping me thru those difficult times. “Take care, Be Well” my friend.

• Anonymous
      May 28, 2008 at 1:33 pm

I’ve been travelling since April 24th….and just saw this thread……
      Gene will surely be missed.

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2008 at 10:12 am

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”2″]Farewell for now Dear Friend.
      There are no words to express how much your presence will be missed, nor how heavy our hearts are.
      Thank you for everything.
      Hope to see you on the ‘Other Side’
      Veronica[/SIZE][/FONT]

• May 30, 2008 at 1:31 pm

Dear Gene,
      I just can’t believe this terrible news. You and I started chatting many years ago and the help and advice you gave me has got me to where I am today. I remember the laughs we had about us not being able to walk on the sands, it was you who got me onto the neurontin, which turned my life around.
      Your work on this forum has been outstanding, so many of us turned to you in our time of need.

You will always remain in my heart Gene, god bless you and Phyllis and all your family, I pray that God will give you all strength and courage in the coming weeks.

Till we meet again, your friend

Suzy

• Anonymous
      May 31, 2008 at 9:17 am

Oh this is just too sad. Thank you Gene, for sharing many years of wisdom and kindness with us all. You will be sorely missed.

kat

• Anonymous
      June 3, 2008 at 10:19 pm

Gene, I’m glad I met and know you. I will be in San Diego in 6 days and I will try to call you.

Over the years this GBSFI forum has existed, you have been the steward; the welcome host; nearly always the first to reply with up-to-date medical treatment; straight forward honest opinions to caregivers; and questions for them to ask the nurses and doctors.

This forum went down because of hackers after about four years. There was so much information from Gene, Lee, Marc, and others that was lost – more information lost than most doctors will ever learn, and that’s the truth. We all made post that educated the GBS members, but Gene was always the leader.

Sometimes we wonder why God chose us for the challenges of such a disease as GBS. If it was to help others with this catastrophic illness, then Gene will certainly be 1st in line…In fact, Gene will be first in line regardless. I hope you answer the phone next week my friend.

[COLOR=”Blue”]I just read on another thread that Gene passed away last Monday, 5/26. My heart is filled with sadness…we all have lost a brother.[/COLOR]

Jethro

P.S. In the photo, Gene is 1st from the left. His wife Phyllis is next to him.

• September 4, 2008 at 6:22 pm

Im with out words, you are so wonderful man and so full of inspire for us all here, I miss you alot. Love and hugs from Iceland

• September 9, 2008 at 9:41 am

To Gene’s Family and his GBS/CIDP Family,

I pray Aaron’s blessing for us all in the loss of our brother:

Numbers 6:24-26
      24 ” ‘ “The LORD bless you
      and keep you;
      25 the LORD make his face shine on you
      and be gracious to you;
      26 the LORD turn his face toward you
      and give you peace.” ‘

Gary