Good and surprising news

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2007 at 12:40 am

I went to the Hospital today to get nate and he gave me some surprising, fantastic news.
      Last night they took his catheter out and 4 hrs later, he needed to go.
      They got him a urinal to see if he could go without being catheterized, and he did!
      It looks like being catheterized for 9 days gave his bladder a rest and let it contract down to a more normal size cause he has to go now anywhere between 2 and 4 hrs, round the clock since then.
      I was so surprised and soooooo glad too. The less invasion into his bladder, the better. Less chance of more infection.
      You wouldn’t think being excited about such a normal bodily function was normal but hey after being so sick from infection, I’m exstatic!
      His kidneys and his head still hurt but they’re both getting less each day or so.
      He is very tired though and does not feel like eating anything.
      He does at least drink protein shakes and they have lots of vitamins in them.
      Losing weight is ok for him but not feeling well isn’t good.
      I’m glad to have him back home but its de ja vue to a year ago when I got him home after 9 1/2 mos in the hospital.
      I’m a bit nervous but also really tired too.
      Hopefully he will feel better over the next week so he can enjoy being best man for his bud Arnie on the 22nd.
      Trudy, natesmom

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2007 at 7:37 am

Trudy,

That is wonderful news! I remember so well the day you brought him home for the first time, gosh it doesnt seem like a year ago. We take our normal bodily functions for granted, and its only whey they are taken away do we realize how precious they are – send Nate our love and best wishes!

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2007 at 8:58 am

that’s wonderful news!. i’m so happy for you and nate. my prayers are with you as always.
      love,
      deb

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2007 at 9:10 am

Oh Trudy ~ what wonderful news! Thanks for the great reminder to be thankful for all the wonderus things our bodies do for us 🙂 I will continue to remember you all in my prayer thoughts and will say an extra one for Nate for the wedding. Keep looking forward! Congratulation hugs all around 😉

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2007 at 9:40 am

what wonderful news!!! keep going (((((NATE))) you are in our prayers!!:)

• September 14, 2007 at 10:39 am

Great News, I am so happy for your family!

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2007 at 12:08 pm

I was worried about him last night and I kept going in to make sure he was ok.
      He fell asleep earlier than usual but he is still very tired.
      He slept pretty well for the first time in awhile and I’m glad he did. I think he needs to sleep a lot to try to get back what he lost from his kidney infection.
      It seems to have taken a lot of strength from him.
      He walked yesterday at the hospital for about 10 minutes, then came back and fell asleep. He took 3 naps waiting for the discharge papers.
      We’re going to the doctor this morning, then to walmart for prescrips then home.
      Just doing that should make him really tired.
      I’m glad to have him back home and our doggies are too.
      Trudy, natesmom

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2007 at 2:46 pm

Trudy ~ 2 weeks before Christmas 2006 I got severe food poisoning. It took such a tole on my body. I was mostly in bed for 3 months and actually didn’t feel good until June (good is a relative term!). I lost alot of strength and the residuals really flared. And since then, I’ve been in prep for my daughter’s Oct. wedding. I suspect that by Nov. I’ll be “down for the count” until spring:eek:

Try not to keep waiting for “the other shoe” to drop. Just know that it may take Nate a long time to get back to where he was. And don’t give up ~ that’s the most important thing!!

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2007 at 11:32 pm

Trudy,

I’m so glad to hear that Nate’s doing better! I’ve been so concerned for him, and you’ve both been in my prayers. I don’t know if you want to go here yet, or if this is even a good medication for kids, but Ben takes Provigil for excessive sleepiness and it’s helped us so much! We’ve actually been able to live a very normal life for the past three weeks that he’s been on it! If his sleepiness continues, you might want to read up on it if you haven’t already done so and perhaps talk to his doctor about it. Again, I don’t know if it’s safe for children or not, but since he’s in school, it might help a great deal.

I really hope he continues to improve and get stronger everyday!

Love,

Shannon