Go Dad!!

• Anonymous
      May 19, 2007 at 8:50 pm

Hi gang!! Missed ya! I just got back from Kamloops and my dad had his first spoonfuls of mashed potatoes and gravy. First solids he’s eaten in 9 months! YAHOOO!! He is still unable to move much but his swallow seems to be coming back and he is able to handle a few spoonfuls of pureed food. he is also able to move his little finger on his right hand too! Nothing else yet, still at only able to move his head and shrug his shoulders but heck – it’s only been 9 months and he is in good spirits. He is still on the tracheotomy but with luck that will be gon in another month or so as well. At least he is OUT of ICU! YAY! Rock on Dad!

• Anonymous
      May 19, 2007 at 10:13 pm

Hi Erin,

Another “rock on” to Dad from me. This is wonderful news.

• Anonymous
      May 19, 2007 at 11:48 pm

Erin That is Great News!! Give your Dad a BIG HUG for me!:) Take care.

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2007 at 12:40 am

Thanks guys!! Here is a link to a picture of the nurse helping him eat his first ‘Real” food in almost a year!

[url]http://www.runupto2010.com/piks/dadmay2007.jpg[/url]

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2007 at 5:07 am

that is fantastic news … thanks for sharing the pic.

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2007 at 6:47 am

That’s awesome news Erin – only way from here is UP!!!

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2007 at 11:34 am

Wow, what a wonderful picture! In celebration of your dad’s accomplishment, I think I will go to KFC for lunch and have some mashed potatoes and gravy. Cheers to dad!!!

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2007 at 10:57 pm

Erin,

Been out of town since Thursday …….I am so glad for you! Your mom must be absolutely thrilled and I know this has lifted your spirits just a little ๐Ÿ˜€ .

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2007 at 10:09 am

Hi, Alison! Missed you! Oh absolutely! My dad’s spirits are high right now too. It’s a nice change. We are all aware that we need to enjoy the triumphs so we don’t feel so bad during the battles. the price of fuel up here is ridiculous right now (currently about $4.75 USD a gallon) so I am unable to go and see him, but I did get the nurse to hold a portable phone up for him and was able to talk with him for about 5 mins. He is still really really hard to understand but it was good simply to hear his voice. I guess they have a plug or something they put in his tracheotomy so he can talk. Gotta go to work now…

Luv & hugs

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2007 at 11:28 am

My goodness Erin, with all the other problems, now you have to deal with the gas price as well! Its really such a pity that you are so far from him, but keep up the phone calls even if its just so that he can hear you say you miss and love him, I know that means the world to him. Thinking of you, and call [I]anytime. ๐Ÿ™‚ [/I]

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2007 at 9:35 pm

Erin,

Thanks for sharing the good news about your father’s first “real” meal! You are so right – we need to celebrate the “little” victories.

What Ali said about calling your father, since you can’t drive there as often is great advice. His world is very small right now, so his contact with you is even more important to him.

Please give him my best wishes for continued recovery.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      May 23, 2007 at 11:33 am

What great news! Please tell your dad that his GBS Family is cheering him on ๐Ÿ˜€ Phoning him is great but also send a funny card once a week. There’s nothing like mail from a loved one and the cards can be taped to the wall where he can see them and remember he is loved.