GBS from surgery?

• Anonymous
      April 6, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I have a friend who is a GBS survivor. She is wondering if anyone has some statistics on the chances of getting GBS a second time as a result of having surgery. Any input would be appreciated.

May this day find you well and improving……..will spring happen this year in Pennsylvania? 😀

• Anonymous
      April 6, 2011 at 8:40 pm

[SIZE=”2″]Hello.
      I had a triple bi-pass with no problems. Make sure everyone knows you have had GBS and that they know what GBS is. They did change one drug before they put me to sleep. Blessingsl(Lakoda)[/SIZE]

• April 6, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Heya Tom

From what I hear getting GBS twice is pretty rare. Cold comfort for those who do.

I hear you on wanting Spring to get started, this Winter SUCKED!! However, I saw a robin yesterday, usually a pretty good sign

Peace brother:D

• Anonymous
      April 11, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Well, it’s not only a question of getting GBS a second time. And, folks here have reported it happened to them.

It’s a question of getting GBS after surgery.

The internet is not much help on this subject. The NIH says, “[I]Occasionally, surgery or vaccinations will trigger the syndrome.[/I]

Well, people occasionally get struck by lighting, or injured in an automobile accident or flooded out in Fargo N.D.

For myself, I consider the chances extremely remote. For the one it happens to, that’s no consolation. I would not avoid surgery for that risk alone. Heck, you can undergo surgery and…… you fill in the blank!

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Hi Tom ,

I have had CIDP and Transverse Mylitis for 10 almost 11 years now . I have had several “high risk ” surgeries since then and never had problems with getting it back as result from the surgery . However anytime your body is put under “stress” from any procedure your friend may see more residuals than normal . I have always let my surgeons now that I have it so they are aware of any issues that could arise during surgery. That way there are no surprises 🙂 Lots of rest after it is a huge must have !
      I hope your friend does great with her surgery and best of luck !!
      Kimberly

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Tom,

I believe that my knee surgery triggered my onset. 8 days after elective surgery I was paralyzed to the chest within 48 hours.

Take the rest of the day off,

Rob