GBS/CIDP Following a Medical Procedure

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I realize now that an earlier question I posed could not be answered realistically. The issue really is -does an affliction of GBS or CIDP sometimes follow a a hospitalization for any reason. For example one person I have met and talked to over the years was diagnosed with CIDP after giving birth in a hospital more than twenty years ago. She still has some the problems associated with CIDP periodically. Have others been similarly aflicted following a hospital stay? If so, what are some posible reasons for this occurring?
      Steve

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I started getting the symdoms of GBS one week after minor knee surgery in Dec of 2009. It took one mont for symdoms to be acute enough to get me to a neurologist. No other cause has been determined by my doctors, but they also will not state that the surgery did cause it. I have heard that less then 5% of people with GBS get it after surgery. I di do a little on line research and fount this article
      Neurology. 1985 Oct;35(10):1473-5.

Guillain-Barré syndrome after epidural anesthesia: direct nerve root damage may trigger disease.
      Steiner I, Argov Z, Cahan C, Abramsky O.

Abstract
      Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) appeared in four patients 1 to 2 weeks after epidural anesthesia. In all patients, clinical diagnosis was confirmed by CSF findings and nerve conduction velocity studies. Although epidural anesthesia has not been listed as an antecedent event in GBS, evidence for the relationship has been previously reported. Interaction between the anesthetic agents and peripheral nervous system myelin or local trauma to roots may initiate a cascade of immunologic events that result in the demyelinating neuropathy

• Anonymous
      January 31, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Thanks much Harry. I did look up your reference. Very interesting! Steve

• Anonymous
      February 8, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Another school of thought is that some viruses look like the nerve endings and your system attacks the nerves thinking they are the virus. It actually has a name but I can`t remember what it is.
      Using that theory my doctors think that I did pick up such a virus at the hospital where I had a brain tumour removed. I got GBS a week later.
      Some of the doctors that talked to me in the hospital don`t have a clue how I got it.

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2011 at 12:59 am

I had 3 c-sections, a hysterectomy, etc. My point being- multiple surgeries. Could have my symptoms began following a surgery? Yes. Also, I developed a severe staff infection following the hysterectomy. Who knows?