GBS causing or changing into vasculitis

• Anonymous
      February 24, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Need help from a medical point of view. I was diagnosed with GBS in 2005 and has been recovering since. Trying to cope with this and my daily living has put a huge burden on my shoulders where to the point I thought the GBS moved out of my legs and arms and into my trunk. Multiple organs started to fail and the doctors were treating each organ with something different. Went to a rheumatoligist and he advised I have vasculitis which is affecting the organs. Can GBS manifest into vasculitis? Can vasculitis be a secondary cause of the GBS? or could I have had both GBS and vasculitis at the same time and the stress trigger one or the other?
      I now added a psychiatrist to the group of doctors I visit monthly.
      This thing is worse than a death sentence. I’m only 47 and have the same problems as a 74 year old.

• Anonymous
      February 24, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I was recently looking into this myself because I have a history of vascular migraines and I was wondering if I have a vascular component. It seems as though vasculitis can be secondary to autoimmune disorders. You can do some googling. How did they diagnose you with vasculitis? I think that there is a strong connection that they are related.

• Anonymous
      February 24, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Eeeks, so sorry you are struggling. My gp believes these are related. I had vascular and joint episodes before GBS. I am headed to a rheumotologist, also, to see if there is a specific autoimmune diagnosis. Right now I am in remission, thankfully. My issues seem to be confined to connective tissue, however, not organs. In addition to seeing my gp, I work with a doctor who specializes in nutrition. He has gotten me to examine my stress levels by figuring out what effects my body. Through elimination diets and food challenges, we were able to determine three major type IV food allergies. At the time I got GBS, I was eating all three foods, had mono and had gone on a trip at significantly higher altitudes than where I live. He believes that people feel stressed when their bodies are sick, not that stress causes disease. Several drugs are available for autoimmune disorders, which I would definitely take if I continue to have problems. I will be seeing him in two weeks to see if he has any new advice. I hope this info provides you with some thought starters to get healthy again.

• Anonymous
      February 25, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Thanks for responding. Jessica and Luv2sail, I am being diagnosed with vasculitis by a rhuematologist that I wanted to see for joint aches and pains. I thought it was fibermyalgia, but he is informing me that it is vasculitis. I now need to explore if this is a secondary result of my GBS. There are many types of vasculitis and I have not been informed what type mine is.
      I thought I was having another GBS attack, or the GBS was finally leaving my body, but all I know is that I got the same tingling sensation on my chest and back that I had in my feet and hands and then they went away. Most numbness in my hands and feet went away with this onset- like it moved from my extremities to my trunk for 3 weeks and then disappeared. I do 6 month blood work and in June it showed I had multiple organ problems. Check up with cardiologist showed okay, pulmonalogist showed decreased lung capacity, urologist showed very low testosterone and endocronogist showed signs of pre-diabetic. Now comes physchiastrist showing signs of anxiety and depression. It seems the rhuemetologist is the person to see for this problem.
      PCP feels I need to get rid of all the stress I can, which might have been a contributing factor recovering from GBS.