GBS and hot tubs

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2007 at 9:38 pm

Is it safe to go in a hot tub? 3 months post GBS. Wondering about the extreme heat.:)

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2007 at 10:08 pm

Linda

Cut and past the following url’s, they may be helpful.

gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=509&highlight=tubs

gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1755&highlight=tubs

gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1907&highlight=tubs

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2007 at 5:58 am

Linda I would be careful with the heat and extreme fatigue, it can come on very suddenly. If you do decide to try it please make sure you have someone with you the entire time in case you get too weak to get yourself out of the tub.

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2007 at 6:41 am

Thank you so much. I’m staying at a 5 star hotel next week (free room) and didn’t even think about the hot tub until yesterday. I think I’ll just enjoy the pool!

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2007 at 9:24 am

Linda,

Maybe if you can control the temp in the rooms hot tub it would be fun to have a warm tub:p – with lots of bubbles. I know that I cant take a hot tub or very hot bath because after a few minutes I do get very dizzy, quite weak and feel like passing out.

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2007 at 9:46 am

I have a hot tub at home. I have used it almost daily before and after GBS. The theraputic value of the warm bubbly water is on eof the things that really helps. Enjoy!!

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2007 at 4:46 pm

I too have a small tub at home and I have used it for the pain
      associated with the GBS. But… pay attention to the warnings you see here
      and do what turns out best for you. For me it was helpful.

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2007 at 5:18 am

[QUOTE=LindaG]Thank you so much. I’m staying at a 5 star hotel next week (free room) and didn’t even think about the hot tub until yesterday. I think I’ll just enjoy the pool![/QUOTE]

Hey Linda you should ask if they will give you a complimentary massage! Why not, it’s 5-stars, they probably have it… you probably need it… :p

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2007 at 12:04 pm

Linda becareful. Depending on how your GBS effected your body can be different from the way it effected mine but, I was told in rehab not to go into hot water for two reason. I have alot of inflamation with my GBS and hot water is bad for swelling. The pool were I go is 84 degrees and if I stayed still to chat I got chilled. I had to keep moving at an aerobic pace to stay warm. That was exhausting with the GBS and could have set me back. They gave me a special pass to go into the rehab pool (94) degrees and at first that felt too warm but I did very well in that pool and probably stayed too long just to enjoy the freedom of movement by just floating around. But felt it when I had to come out. Wet noodles for legs! Gravity pushing down slowed me down quit a bit. I would come home and sleep! Hot tub was 104 degrees and it was hard to get in and I could not get used to the heat. Slowly got in and quickly had to get out. I could not breath, I was shaking and vibrating, dizzy and could hardly walk, set off a panic. I can not take hot showers yet either. So be very careful like the others say! Enjoy that trip!

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2007 at 10:34 pm

For about 3 months post GBS I couldn’t stand a bath. My feet/hands would vibrate and really hurt. My neuro told me that the heat increased the nerve conduction (reved up the nerves). Cold also bothers me(can’t hold cold glass of ice water). Now I love the bath again and the pain doesn’t increase but I still vibrate more. If your sensory is involved use caution you don’t burn. But enjoy when you can! Dr. Shawn

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2007 at 3:12 pm

[QUOTE=Dr. Shawn]For about 3 months post GBS I couldn’t stand a bath. My feet/hands would vibrate and really hurt. My neuro told me that the heat increased the nerve conduction (reved up the nerves). Cold also bothers me(can’t hold cold glass of ice water). Now I love the bath again and the pain doesn’t increase but I still vibrate more. If your sensory is involved use caution you don’t burn. But enjoy when you can! Dr. Shawn[/QUOTE]

I had GBS in 1995 and also had problems with taking a shower. Any kind of very hot or very cold water was very painful. Including swimming, etc. It continued to be a problem until I started on Lyrica about 3-4 months ago, it has made a [U]very[/U] big difference in the pain levels from water.
      As for the hot tub, as others have said, I would use caution. I too have heard that jacuzzis/hot tubs and GBS don’t mix very well. Also be careful if you happen to have high blood pressure.
      Bill

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2007 at 7:56 am

Thanks everybody for the great input. I “cautiously” put my foot in for a couple of minutes and it got a little tingly so I pulled it out! Stayed in the heated pool which was great. Did take a minute for my breathing to level out so I pretty much stayed on the steps, going in and out. (I was never ventilated but my breathing muscles were affected. I still have times when I can’t take a deep breath or talk too long.) The really ironic part was I went into the steam room and stayed for about 5 minutes with no side effects whatsoever; it was great.

I’m in Portsmouth, VA and we are having 90 degree weather with high humidity now but as soon as it gets in the 80s I’m going to start therapy in an indoor heated pool. I’m taking OT now but I get bored easily. (I’m a 59 year old kid!) I’m a water baby so I can’t wait for the temps to drop so I can pool it 3 times a week. Have a nice day.:)

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2007 at 10:36 pm

Hi,

We have had a nice hot tub/spa for years now. We have always put the temperature at 99 degrees so it feels nice and warm but you don’t suffer from the heat. Sometimes on cool nights we’ll put it up to 100 degrees. Any warmer and my feet will object.

If I go out when the ground is cold without slippers, and go into the hot tub, it takes me about 20 minutes to get my feet in the water. There I sit with my feet in the air slowly going up and down. That is a real burning feeling.

I love the relaxing tub feeling. It relaxes and calms my muscles. I didn’t tryout the tub for about 2 years after GBS because I couldn’t get to it. I have a bar to get into it and my husband helps me. Wouldn’t be without it.

Judy