GBS and diabetes

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2006 at 7:25 pm

Hi guys,

Haven’t posted here for some time–couple years or so. Was diagnosed as being in the early stages of diabetes a while back. Mentioned to the dr. that I had had GBS when the discussion turned to neuropathy. Asked if I would be able to tell the difference between my residuals and diabetes induced neuropathy. She said no. So I’m wondering about any other connections, complications, etc. that any fellow travelers have encountered. Thought I’d ask the real experts.

Best to all,
      Tom

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2006 at 1:44 pm

Hey Tom,
      I am also diabetic. Had my diabetes before coming down with GBS. Was on oral meds and had to go to insulin while in the hospital with my GBS. My Neuro thinks my neuropathy is a result of my diabetes, but my primary care Doc questions this since I had no problems before the GBS and my diabetes had always been under control, other than my stay in the hospital.
      I have not encountered any other problems associated with my diabetes and residuals.
      I have come to the conclusion that none of the doctors know enough about residuals to know anything for sure.
      Take care,
      Bonnie