GBS & continuing cancer treatment?

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2008 at 9:17 am

Does anyone have experience they can share regarding this?

My mother was diagnosed & treated for Leukemia this year. It went into remission and shortly thereafter she was struck by GBS. Her remaining treatments for leukemia were postponed.

After 2 1/2 months of recovering from GBS, she is now at home and using a walker.
      The Dr found some cancer cells in her spinal fluid recently and wants to resume treatments now. He says that he can’t predict what effect the treatments will have on the GBS.

She is going forward with treatments with an optimistic outlook, but if anyone could share their own experiences it would be appreciated.

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2008 at 12:58 pm

I have CIDP and was diagnosed with breast cancer last August. I call the chemo I got a small miracle as I went from a wheelchair to walking unassisted by the end of it. I still have residual weakness and balance issues but I am definetly
      doing better than when I started treatment. I’m sure we are probably getting different chemos but while I was getting my chemo they kept up the treatments for my CIDP as well. My oncologist and neurologist communicated and each approved the others treatment as I discontinued some medications. I hope it works as well for your Mom. Take Care.

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2008 at 11:50 am

Thanks. It would be great if the meds she gets during her chemo actually help her recover from GBS too. Actually I read that the Methotrexate she is receiving is sometimes used to treat GBS, so… hopefully all will go really well for her.

• June 12, 2008 at 7:08 pm

Hi Melissa,
      Does your mother have cidp or gbs? Methotrexate, or any steroids are not used with gbs, only cidp. YOu might want to check with the doc. Good luck.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2008 at 6:51 am

I hope the meds work for your Mom. I was taking methotrexate before I was diagnosed with breast cancer but I have CIDP. As Dawn said they don’t usually prescribe steroids or chemo drugs for GBS because its a one time episode. Take Care,