Gastric Bypass anyone?

• Anonymous
      March 1, 2008 at 6:43 pm

Just an FYI of my mom’s status-so to make a long story short:
      GBS Aug 2005
      IVIG treated, but paralyzed neck to toes and ventilated with a trach.
      Was in ICU, vent weaning unit and rehab hospital for a year.
      Currently, it’s been 2 years and 5 months and the GBS has receeded to her hands and feet and she walks with a walker. She uses a cane around the house, but when we go to Walmart or something she takes advantage of their motorized skooters because of her endurance. She still has her trach because before GBS she was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. No doctor wants to take out the trach until they feel the apnea will be “cured” or until it’s in a more manageable level that acccomanies weight loss.

[B]My question is whether or not anyone has had experience with gastric bypass AFTER GBS. We are in the process of going forward with the surgery, but I am VERY interested in any information that you could pass along.[/B]

My mom has always been short and squatty 🙂 When she was in rehab (working with physical therapy 5 days a week) and on a restrictive 1200 calorie diet she lost 57 pounds (that’s over a period of a year). Now that she has been home, real world foods, real world temptations, no accountability for exercising, etc., she has gained back the weight and because of the GBS she is already limited as to what she can do. I almost feel as if her progress has not just plateaued, but decreased a bit. The doctors feel she can benefit from weight loss through gastric bypass that will in turn make it easier for her to move.

She realizes this is a lifestyle change if she goes through with the surgery. [B]Does anyone have any GBS ammended menus or exercises that have benefited you in your slightly unambulatory state?[/B]

I doubt my mom’s the only fatty who’s had GBS! :p [B]What are the rest of the fatties doing to deal with their weight and GBS residuals?[/B]

I appreciate the information, advice and humor my mom and I have recieved over the last few years.
      steph

• Anonymous
      March 2, 2008 at 1:53 am

Hi Steph. Have you looked into other forms of surgery, less invasive, like lapband instead of gastric? Healing is a big problem with me, it takes 3 to 4 times longer to heal since gbs. My weight goes up and down all the time, it goes up with my relapses and trying to keep it down is really difficult due to lack of energy to exercise. Drs don’t have any ideas either. Strict calorie counting and maybe a diet dr would be more helpful. Take care.

• Anonymous
      March 2, 2008 at 9:26 pm

Gastric Bypass Surgery (2004) & Guillian-Barre Syndrome (2007)

Hi there, Steph!

I know you’re asking about gastric bypass [U]after[/U] GBS but I had the surgery before the syndrome and am learning how to live with both. Due to the surgery, my ability to absorb fat-soluable vitamins (A D, E and K) is compromised. Research what all those vitamins affect. I must take alot of those vitamins to compensate. Even then, I must have the levels checked occasionally. And, even with gastric bypass surgery I STILL have to monitor my intake of food since I can’t physically burn the calories (thanks to GBS). I tend to agree that the lap-band may be a better option simply because it’s less invasive, adjustable and it’s reversible, if necessary. The weight loss will still occur, just not as rapidly. Gastric bypass is “once and for all”. For some people, that’s more difficult to arrange life around than Guillain-Barre.

I know first-hand how hard weight loss can be. Ultimately, the surgical option is a very personal one. What works for one person doesn’t necessarily fit another. Please let me know what she chooses to do…I’m keeping a positive thought for you.

Carla

P.S. FYI, both surgeries can be done laparascopically. You might see if your mom is a candidate, if she chooses surgery.

• Anonymous
      March 2, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Steph,
      I just finished several of the newest books – one is called GOOD CALORIES BAD CALORIES. It was over 400 pages and is recommended by Dr Mehmet Oz who is on Oprah’s show alot. I have studied health for 35 years – it is my passion. The book said that restricting calories doesn’t work. What does work is eating protein and cutting out all carbohydrates. It is much like Atikin’s. I combined eating right for my bloodtype along with Atkins. I did no exercise and dropped 26 pounds in three months. The last month it has leveled off. I think if I exercised a little, I would have lost more. But it is cold in Pennsylvania and I stay in my room with the space heater. Not only did I lose 26 pounds but my face is unbelievable. I took a bus the other day and a woman told me I had beautiful skin. It was glowing. I do not think I shall ever use make up on it again. I had average skin to start but now it is so healthy looking. So it has to be working. The medical profession has been wrong telling us to cut back on fat. We need to cut the refined carbohydrates out of our diet. To lose wieght you need to onoy have 20 grams of carbs – and that could be a salad. The book I mentioned above explains why diets do not work. There have been many flawed studies that were published. JUst eat protein for a few months. It will not hurt you. If you are an O, it is easier in my opinion. Since October I have eaten chicken, steaks, hamburgers, salmon, tilapia, shrimp, tuna, and eggs. No bread, pizza, rice, pasta, etc. I have not eaten fruit. The book explains how people have stayed on this for years and are healthy. Unfortunately I listen to the AMA and ate pasta thinking it was healthier – wrong. Eating this way will help prevent heart disease, diabetes, etc. PLus my immune system is so much healthier. Let me know if you need any more info. I would try this before I would go under any anaesthesis. I had GBS twice and I learned my lesson. MIne was from stress both times, but I would want another year before I put any chemical into my body – even dental novocaine I would avoid.