Gardasil Linked to Nerve Disorder

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2009 at 11:05 am

Cervical Cancer Vaccine May Raise Risk of Guillain-Barre Syndrome
      http://www.webmd.com/cancer/cervical-cancer/news/20090430/gardasil-linked-to-nerve-disorder#

By Charlene Laino
      WebMD Health News
      Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

April 30, 2009 (Seattle) — Girls and women who receive the Gardasil vaccine to prevent cervical cancer may be at increased risk of a rare but serious disorder of the nervous system in the first few weeks after getting their shots, researchers report.

Overall, the vaccine does not raise the odds of developing Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS), a disorder of the peripheral nervous system, says Nizar Souayah, MD, of the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey in Newark.

“But there is clear evidence from our database of an increased incidence of Guillain-Barre syndrome in the first six weeks, especially the first two weeks, after vaccination,” he tells WebMD.

Still, the risk is extremely low: 26 in 10 million in the first two weeks and 30 in 10 million in the first six weeks after vaccination. That compares to 5 in 10 million odds in the general population, Souayah says.

In response to the study, a spokesperson for Merck, which makes Gardasil, notes that the CDC says that “the data do not currently suggest an association between Gardasil and GBS.”

The findings were presented at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Neurology.
      Guillain-Barre Syndrome and Vaccination

Guillain-Barre syndrome is a rare nervous system disorder in which the body’s immune system attacks part of the nervous system. This immune system malfunction is usually triggered by an infection, such as with flu virus, or other illness. Occasionally, surgery or vaccinations will trigger the syndrome.

The link between Guillain-Barre syndrome and vaccinations isn’t clear. But researchers say concerns emerged after an association was noticed during the 1976-1977 ” swine flu” season. Since then, “there is always a concern when any vaccine program is introduced,” says Ken Gorson, MD, a neurologist at Tufts University/St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center in Boston.

In January 2007, the CDC added Gardasil to its routine childhood immunization schedule. The CDC recommended Gardasil for all girls aged 11-12 and even for girls as young as 9, with catch-up doses for girls and women 13-26 who hadn’t been vaccinated earlier.

HPV is a sexually transmitted virus, with dozens of strains.

As of December 2008, more than 23 million doses of the vaccine were distributed, according to Souayah.
      Guillain-Barre Syndrome and Vaccination: Study Details

For the study, researchers examined data from the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), which is managed by the CDC and the FDA.

There were 53 cases of Guillain-Barre reported after HPV vaccination in the United States from 2006 to 2008. In nearly three-fourths of cases, the disorder developed within six weeks after vaccination. More than one-third of cases occurred in the first two weeks.

The fact that so many cases occurred in the first few weeks after vaccination strongly suggests that “some cases are caused by the vaccine,” Souayah says.

Merck spokeswoman Pamela Eisele points to the FDA and CDC statement on the safety of Gardasil: “The FDA and CDC have reviewed the reports of GBS that have been submitted to VAERS. To date, there is no evidence that Gardasil has increased the rate of GBS above that expected in the population.”

Gorson says much more study is needed before any conclusions regarding Gardasil and GBS can be made. Plus, the chance of developing Guillain-Barre syndrome, regardless of whether you’re vaccinated, is extremely low, he says.

“I would discourage women to look for the problem in the first six weeks after vaccination as it will just cause undue anxiety. Guillain-Barre syndrome is not subtle, with weakness, paralysis, balance problems, and numbness and tingling of the limbs developing in a rapidly progressing fashion. It won’t be missed,” Gorson tells WebMD.

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2009 at 11:58 am

I’m thinking that the Merck spokeswoman Pamela Eisele doesn’t have a child that she has to watch suffer with GBS/CIDP. Sometimes I wish I could take Emily to meet them & show them exactly what CIDP looks like in a young child.

To me if 5 out of every 10 million is normal & the total number of people (from 0-6 weeks) after vaccination is 56 out of a million people there is a HUGE increased risk. That’s more than 5 times the normal amount of people who get GBS each year! And these are young girls we are talking about!

I hope the FDA cleans up their vaccines & soon!

Kelly

• May 9, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Actually,
      There are a group of doctors trying to get this vaccine removed. I remember reading substantially higher numbers on the website started by these docs.
      DAwn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2009 at 6:47 pm

I even think 2 people getting a problem with this vaccine is still too many! My neighbors daughter had that vaccine a while back ago and she still isn’t right now because of it. I think that was a vaccine that got started way to early. My husband niece had the shot and right after she got it passed out, landed in the hospital and stayed there 5 days.
      I wouldn’t risk my childs health over that! No way!
      Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2009 at 11:07 pm

My daughter and I have been reading all the info available on this vacc, and we have come to the same conclusion-Not on your life will my baby girl get this vacc.

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2009 at 12:52 am

Sue………….
      How are you?? We have missed you……..

Per

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2009 at 1:02 am

Hi Perry. I have been of work since Feb 24 and will be going back to work sometime in June.
      I am on stress leave due to the bullying and harassment I endure every day due to the fact of my physical health problems which caused my stress breakdown. So right now I am going through a major major major depression where at times life feels hopeless.
      I also just found out I have low levels of Vitamin B12 so taking vitamins every day for that

How are you Perry?

Sue

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2009 at 2:33 am

Sue,

I am doing fine thank you. I am sooooooooooo sorry to hear that your fellow team members at your work made u quit. I remember you telling all of us about that harassment you received….I can’t believe the management let it get that far!!! good grief, hun……………please don’t let that ruin your life.
      They aren’t worth it……..ya kknow?? 🙂
      I will be praying for you.
      Your friend,
      Perry

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2009 at 9:25 am

Hi Perry I didn’t quit I am just taking sick leave till my unemployment runs out then I am going back to work sometimes in June. My last day of work I had like an out of body experience called Depersonalization and it happen again 2 weeks later. That is scary. You know what is going on around you but like you are watching everything from outside a window. The second time it happen I was driving when I noticed it and I couldn’t feel the steering wheel or the seat I was sitting in the car. It took a few hours to get out of that mode. I was told I got like that because I just couldn’t handle the stress and it was a way my body could handle it by detaching myself from my environment.

That is so weird and when you get out of it you get the shakes like you would when you get a major panic attack. So I hope when I go back to work I don’t into that depersonalization mode again. Those were the only 2 times it happen in my life.

Thanks for everything Perry

Sue

• May 11, 2009 at 11:05 am

thanks for the info…I had heard this in the commercial as a very quick blurb. There is no way in hell my daughter will take this. Oh and I did a recent search about warts in general because my son has one on his toe. I was surprised to find out that a wart of any kind means you have HPV. HE is not sexually active so how did this happen? They say that HPV is an STD, but if all warts of all kinds mean you have been exposed (or have the virus) to HPV then why is this not stated in their info? Did I miss something?

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2009 at 11:41 am

Sue,
      Is there any chance you can go on LTD?
      If yes, then look into that as well as Canada Pension Disability.

Keep your chin up,

Thinking about you
      Rhonda

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2009 at 11:52 am

Hi Rhonda we don’t have LTD where I work but we are negotiating for new contract I wish we could have that in the contract.
      I make around $2100 clear every month when I don’t have medical appointments plus our drug plan and dental plan is good so I would hate to lose that because it’s the company that pays for it.
      On disability I would make only about $999.00 a month I can’t live on that. I know I would qualify. I just got to stand up for myself when ever they ask me to do a job I can’t and not let it bother me if they yell at me or making feel like I am a useless person.

Thanks for your support

Sue

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Hi Sue! I know what you mean there. I am on disability and it stinks! The income you make really does not cover what a sick person should get. The bare essentials. If you can hold out as long as you can then I would go for it letting them know you have certain disabilities that keep you from doing certain things. For me! I had no choice but if I would have had the choice back then I would have kept on working. You really don’t make much on disability. Not much at all! My husband if it were not for his income I don’t know how we would have made it all these years for I sure can’t live on my income alone. But I feel for you. Hard working and being sick! I have trouble functioning in my own home half the time much less working a full time job. I even tried a part time job and was not successful!
      I was shocked as heck today for I actually got lucky and cleaned my whole house up. Probably because I have 40mgs of prednisone in me! LOL! Once the dose gets lowered I end up not being functional again!

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Hi Linda thanks for your reply
      I wish I had Prednisone I still got swelling in my hands and I know it would help my hearing and also give me the strength I need to keep fighting. But no DR wants to give me Prednisone they say it’s to dangerous. I know the risk.

I also know I need a new pill to help my depression some kind of chemical imbalance I see my Psychiatrist tomorrow morning and I am not leaving his office with out medication because right now my brain is not working right and that is all I can think about getting a new medication. I am tired of the BS. But I keep fighting and the thing is that most people on this forum are in worse shape then I am so I shouldn’t complain.
      Now all I need is to get the chemical imbalance in my brain fixed and deal with the bullies when I go back to work.

Thanks everyone

Sue

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Sue I am so sorry you have to go through that type of harassment, but look at the bright side at least your able to work.
      Now I only have GBS an I can’t wait till I’m well enough to do somthing like a casher’s job.
      I too draw disabilty an they say I make too much money to draw any other kinda assistance.
      But I’m allowed to make a 1000 a month with out it hurting my disabilty so ‘m waiting till my hands get better.
      Today some how I shut the car door on my index finger an It would of really hurt if it hadn’t been numb. LOL

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Yes Kerwin I am grateful I can still work.
      I can’t do lots of the jobs I use to do. that frustrates me and everybody else I work with.
      Today I got a new medication to try our for my depression. Also my new DR (shrink) is willing to write the note for work about what I can and cannot do when the time comes for me to go to work.

Sue

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2009 at 11:15 pm

I love it when the drug companies dismiss GBS like it was a mild inconvenience. And I really love it when they say it is so rare. I have news for them; when you are the one with it, it is not rare. There is no way in h___
      that my granddaughter will be taking this.

• Anonymous
      May 14, 2009 at 11:54 am

Hi Sue! I admre you dear! I really do! I too get depressed alot having to deal with the BS too. I know it’s frustrating having to work but I don’t work anymore and just simple task around my home gets hard to do causing me to feel like a failure in life! Don’t let those bullies at work get you down. Most of them are not sick yet like we are and don’t understand what the word means. I say What Comes Around Goes Around! One day your co workers are going to see illness sometime in their lifetime and then they too will see what you went through and wished they had been lighter on you.
      People in the work force that have no problems are very insensitive people and because they have never experienced what you are experiencing they just don’t understand the concept. When they get sick, then there eyes will open up and then they too will see the light that we have all these years.Disabled people get critized instead of praised. Anybody that sees a person with illness trying very hard should be commended. For doing what normal people do it takes us longer and our job is harder. You keep your head up high and praise yourself for what you can do! Because your body works 3 times harder than those others you work with. But you are trying and that is all that matters! Good luck with your doctor today! Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      May 14, 2009 at 12:32 pm

[QUOTE]Because your body works 3 times harder than those others you work with.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Linda is that true that are body work 3 times harder to get the job done? I didn’t know that
      I see people that are hurting but they are not exercising their rights but I do. Also they feel that pain is part of life especially as you get older.
      I went to my DR on Tuesday and it went well. I love my Psychiatrist I am taking Pristiq to try for 2 weeks to see if it helps my depression.

Thank Again

Sue

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2009 at 1:48 am

There is no way I would let my daughters take one of these vaccinations, even if I had to leave this USA to get away from it. I would think most all on these forums would not submit to this vaccination. I will continue to pray nothing goes wrong with the ones that do take it.
      Please God protect our little girls now and forever from such things as these that may bring them nothing but trouble and maybe death.

Drummer