Gamunex vs other IVIg

• Anonymous
      September 22, 2008 at 8:08 pm

I received the letter from the foundation with the FDA note on approval of Gamunex for treatment of CIDP.
      I was wondering if anyone knows the cost for this product vs other IVIg products.
      Thank you
      Kristin

• Anonymous
      September 22, 2008 at 8:22 pm

I did a Google search for “Gamunex IVIG cost” & this link came up:

[url]http://www.hopkins-hivguide.org/drug/miscellaneous/intravenous_immune_globulin.html[/url]

Here is the chart:

Gammagard SD Intravenous immune globulin (IVIG) Blood Diagnostics IV vial
      2.5, 5gm; 10gm $116.60/gm.

Gaminume N IVIG Bayer IV
      vial
      10% 5gm/10ml $101/g

Iveegam EN IVIG Biomed Plus INC IV
      vial
      5gm $102/gm

Gamunex IVIG Talecris IV
      vial
      1,2.5,5,10,20 gm $104.08/gm

Gammagard Liquid IVIG Baxter IV
      vial
      1,2.5,5,10,20 gm $129.60/gm

Carimune NF IVIG ZLB Behring IV
      vial
      1,3,6,12 gm $82.50/gm

Baygam IVIG Talecris IV
      vial
      2mL,10mL $145.65/10mL

Gamastan S/D IVIG Talecris IV
      vial
      2mL,10mL $145.65/10mL

*Prices represent cost per unit specified and are representative of “Average Wholesale Price” (AWP). AWP Prices were obtained and gathered by Lakshmi Vasist Pharm D using the Red Book, manufacturer’s information, and the McKesson database.

^Dosage is indicated in mg unless otherwise noted.
      USUAL ADULT DOSING

Hope that helps.
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      September 22, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Thanks for the info, I should have googled better.
      Kristin

• Anonymous
      September 22, 2008 at 10:52 pm

Kristen – No worries! I am a Google’ing pro. I’ve been doing it for a long time now.

Kelly

• September 22, 2008 at 11:35 pm

Kelly,
      I wonder if that is the price that lets say coram charges, wholesale to me? Otherwise, since last year it has doubled. When I called baxter direct last year around Christmas, it was $68 a gram, and coram charged me $128. I am going to check my next bill, because in theory it should mean that coram is chaarging $240 if their cost is $128. Yikes as Stacey would say. That $5million lifetime will evaporate soon at that rate.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 23, 2008 at 12:49 am

I’m thinking the price fluctuates. When Emily was first dx’d I had it priced at $99 a gram.

I think our home care companies get it at whole sale & then charge us extra for it.

I think Emily’s last benefits statements said it was $1860. She gets 20 grams so that would be…gotta use the calculator…$93 a gram.

Hmmm…maybe that chart isn’t right or maybe I’m just getting a good deal.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      September 23, 2008 at 6:12 am

I got Gamunex for my treatments and I was told it was $100. a gram and I was getting 25 grams a day for 5 days. I am from Canada so it doesn’t cost me a thing but the nurse let me know the price.
      Sue

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2008 at 8:22 pm

Gammagard charges $ 60,000.00 for 300 grams I need a month for six infusions. I was lucky to be able to change my insurance coverage to No Lifetime Limits-wow”’ Yes, very lucky. Then I found my pharmacy benefits would cover it in full.The company I order it from tacks on the price for home health care nurses and all supplies Fed X next day to my front door.Supposedly this is done as a free service (nurses wages) since their making a bundle in profits already. I come out better $$$ then when I went to the clinic.
      So someone is making double the cost…….
      At least with Medicare the price was negotiated and less than half before the last big shortage crisis April 2006. Remember paying $ 1,700 for 40 grams when it was $ 4,000. It certainly has gone way up in price.

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2008 at 7:58 pm

We receivedd the same FDA News about Gamunex. My husband is going in next week for another IVIG treatment. He requested Gamunex. Porter Hospital in Colorado called and said Talecris no longer makes Gamunex. It is after business hours, so I cannot get an answer from FDA nor Talecris Biotherapeutics until tomorrow. Does anyone else know if this is true?

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2008 at 8:07 pm

That is not true on there website they still have it listed.
      [url]http://www.talecris.com/us/talecris-us-products-overview.htm[/url]

Gamunex distributors
      [url]http://www.talecris.com/us/talecris-us-gamunex-distributors.htm[/url]

Press Release October 15 2008
      [url]http://www.talecris.com/Talecris-Helps-Patients-Receive-Gamunex-During-Lapses-in-Private-Insurance-Coverage.htm[/url]

Sue

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2008 at 8:51 pm

Most hospitals or infusion companies charge the patient at least twice to three times what they pay for a medication. The reasons include administration charges, mixing, stocking/shipping, quality assurance, the fact that reimbursement varies (some people cannot pay and some insurances contract to get a medicine at a low cost). For example, my insurance told me each time that I got IV IgG that the hospital charged about $16,000 dollars for it, but that they had contracted to supply it at $5000 and how lucky I was to have saved $11,000 by being insured with this company. Needless to say, I felt really mixed about all this.
      WithHope for a cure of these diseases

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2008 at 9:56 pm

Wooo! That is alot of money having to pay for these IVIG’s. Wow! Can’t even afford to be sick in peace can we? 😀 Too busy worrying about the bills! I sure hope my CIDP issue is not going to cost me this much money! Hope my insurance pays! Hugs