Gabepentin

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2009 at 9:23 am

Has anyone that has been taking gabepentin stopped taking it to see if you really need it . Tried taking advil or some other type aspirin instead, just curious:confused:

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2009 at 11:31 am

YES!!!:eek:

I hate taking pills…so I decided I would go off gabapentin.

NOT A GOOD CHOICE!!!! I found that yup I needed it and found myself crawling on my hands and knees to the pill bottle as I was in so much pain I couldn’t walk.

Rhonda

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Mudbear,

I’m not a big pill taker, but I take a low dose only at night to calm my feet so that I can sleep. I’ve tried a few times to go without a pill just top see if I really need it. Well, I do. I have very disrupted sleep and feet discomfort during those nights that I don’t take a pill.

I’ve read that, unlike a narcotic medication, gabapentin somehow blocks the brain from receiving or processing nerve stimuli, as opposed to a narcotic that simply suppresses the pain stimulus. However it works, gabapentin works for me.

BTW, I’ve noticed that some CIDP sufferers take big doses throughout the day (3,600 mg/day or more). Fortunately, gabapentin is completely safe. I’d say if it works for you, as it does me, then stick with it.

Take care.
      Paul

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Paul/Pablo.
      When you say: “I have very disrupted sleep and feet discomfort during those nights that I don’t take a pill.” what type of feet discomfort is it? The need to “calm my feet”.

And Rhonda:”….found myself crawling on my hands and knees to the pill bottle as I was in so much pain I couldn’t walk.” Again may I ask about the type of pain? I presume this must be nerve/neuropathic pain.

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2009 at 4:35 pm

I would never get a good nites sleep without my neurontin! Sometimes I need to take one during the day, but for all the residuals I deal with, I’m so grateful for good pain control.

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2009 at 6:07 pm

I did a few years back when I was in remission and did okay. But now that the nerve damage is back I need my Gabapentin! Can’t do without it~
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Kenspdn,

My feet pain is neuropathy. I feel needles, like a very sharp, hot, isolated pain that comes on strong, stays a few minutes, then recedes, only to return in a different place on my feet.
      Does this info help you, somehow? I’d like to know what you think about this.
      Paul

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2009 at 7:30 am

I take 600mg. 3 times a day. I to feel it somewhat when I miss a dose but I have taken tylenol at it seems like it helped.
      I never stopped taking it all together though.

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2009 at 7:54 am

I started out on 300 mgs 3 times a day and did okay at first. I never liked the wy it made me feel back then. But am now used to the side effects. I too get that burning on fire in my feet and hands. I am now taking 1800 mgs a day! And that seems to give me more relief! Since they uped the dosage my feet burning and hand burning has eased up alot. The dosage you are taking my be too low. Hugs
      Linda H