Free tax help

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2007 at 6:14 pm

Hey all,

I know this is the second financially-geared thread I’ve posted, but it’s about time for income tax preparation. And I recently found out just how much the agencies charge. It’s a crime! And most of us here really have to work to make ends meet comfortably (or at all!) thanks to GBS. So I thought maybe I could offer some free help if anyone needs it. Consider it a GBS-discount!

(For those wondering: I’m studying to be a CPA, did a few people’s taxes last year, and am in the middle of taking the Federal Income Tax class at my school.)

First off, most states and cities have people who will help you with your taxes for free. They’re not always the best, but it’s certainly better than a) paying an agency which is often a total ripoff, or b) trying to muddle through on your own if you find them confusing. So definitely definitely look into this option.

If you don’t qualify for help or just think they didn’t do a thorough enough job, please feel free to come to me with questions. I will do my best to answer them, though I am still learning so may not know of every potential loophole. I did a few friends’ taxes last year, with a good success rate of three out of three getting refunds.

The biggest thing I see is that a lot of people who itemize their deductions don’t include everything they could, and a lot of people who run a small business don’t know about a lot of things they can deduct. These are the biggest things that the tax software misses, I find.

Obviously I can’t help non-U.S. folks (sorry Theresa Anne!) but given how shockingly expensive I’ve discovered H&R Block to be, and given how much I personally have struggled with finances thanks to GBS, I want to offer whatever assistance I can.

Hope everyone is doing well and thriving in this new year,

Abby

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2007 at 8:46 am

Hii there –

I would just like to add that if you go to the irs.gov website, there is a list of free programs to efile with if your AGI is at or below 54,000.00 (?) give or take a few thousand I cant remember the exact number. :rolleyes: But it was around the low 50’s or below.

I have been doing my own taxes at home w/the software for about 6-7 years now-it walks you through everything. And yo are right about itemizing.