Forearm crutches

• March 1, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Has anyone had experience good or bad using either one or two forearm crutches? I see them sold at local Payless etc type of stores for less than fifty dollars each. I also see them under the original brand names, made is the US instead of the orient, but for three times as much! Any suggestions or input?
      Bob Shannon
      GBS Feb 7, 2010
      Home July 15, 2010

• Anonymous
      March 2, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I got my forearm crutches in July 2008, I got them from a pharmacy that also deals with medical equipment. Mine are Medline, they are made in china for medline industries in Il. There is a # on my crutches it is…..
      1-800-Medline. I Guess the other # here is product # MDS805161.

I still use my crutches ,because its the only way I can walk. I use both of them, but when I get my meals I will use one so I can carry stuff or sometimes I’ll just use my chair if i’m gonna be standing to long. I will only use 1 crutch in my own home. Safety reasons.

The only problem I have is sometimes I drop 1 at times when I go to set them down or pick them up.

Good Luck.

• Anonymous
      March 2, 2011 at 10:22 pm

When I used my fore arm crutches I was able to walk safely without the constant fear of falling. They offered me balance and kept me upright–I tended to wobble a lot. I usually used one but it depended on where I was.

I would go to a health supply store and practice walking with one or a pair adjusted to your height. This will give you an idea of what it would be like using them. I did before I decided to spent $ 180.00. I liked the thick rubber handle–don’t get one with plastic grip.

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I used forearm crutches and still do.They are very much needed for myself with severe foot drop;and when walking on unsteady ground.or when you need extra help.I have gone through 2 pairs that was purchased from a medical supply store.You may need a script if insurance pays.Good luck.

forearm crutches

• Anonymous
      November 24, 2009 at 5:53 pm

I was wondering if anyone is using forearm crutches. I have never used a single cane because I can’t tell which way I might tip when I wobble.

I have used trekking poles for balance and stability when feeling weak, and while they work, they are cumbersome, long, and require a flexed arm and poor hand and wrist position. Also the trekking poles will drop to the ground when you let go of the handles.

So, I’m thinking forearm crutches might be a smart idea. I have spoken to my physical therapist abt it, and they think it has merit.

If you have or do use forearm crutches, please share the pros and cons with me, as I am looking for some hints to feel more able and independent on my less able days.

thanks,
      Erin

• Anonymous
      November 24, 2009 at 11:54 pm

I really liked mine. Can be ordered in some wild colors or covered in decals.
      They gave me the best balance but took a while to get used too. I did hang my small handbag off one hand bar. When shopping I’d lean them up against a sale rack and on the floor they went.Would put them in shopping cart if available and hold on for dear life to cart handle.
      Make sure they’re the correct height for you.
      I then went to one on my left side as right side the worst shape.

Canes just couldn’t give me the balance I needed. It slow me down and I walked with more care but I kept tripping.More than once someone bumped into me and I fell anyway.

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2009 at 6:39 pm

You don’t mention if you already use any type of AFO’s. I started with cane and mobility suffered horribly. When I got braces I got my life back. With the braces I can walk with No assistance- once I take the braces off I must use cane when leaving the house. My Physical Therapist made the recomendations and I have actually upgraded twice to more suitable braces for my condition.
      Jim

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Hi Jim,
      I do not have any braces, though i notice I walk best in firm shoes like dansko clogs, hiking boots and I do pretty well in my ski boots too. My physical therapist has never suggested any kind of brace. I have paralysis in my left little toe, otherwise everything else seems to have some near normal range of motion and varying strength.
      I can be walking fine one moment then without warning to a funny little drunken dance trying to catch my suddenly lost balance.
      So, I’m trying to increase my stability.

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2009 at 10:59 am

I find i have more stabilty and can walk faster with the crutches. i use the cane around the house. the can be tricky like in public restrooms or going onto wet surfaces. I always find it difficult to find somwhere to put them. but most places will put them aside for you.(like resturants or grocery stores/when you use a cart.) I wear one afo on the leftside used to wear two.

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2009 at 11:05 am

Hi, Erin.

I’ve used crutches on and off for the past three years — the off was last year when I was in a wheelchair. I find them indispensible. My legs tend to have minds of their own; sometimes they’ll move in a fairly normal direction but often one or other will drag or wander to the side. Without the crutches I’d be on the floor.

I’ve never tried the under-the-armpit kind. I’ve tried using the open cuff forearm crutches but have too much trouble holding on to them when I have to release the handhold. So I use the semi-closed cuff — they’re harder to get in and out of in a hurry, particularly when I’m wearing a coat, but easier all round otherwise. And yes, I decorate mine, generally with stickers, and am looking forward to dragging out the garland and tinsel next month. 😀

Oh, yes, and I do have my left ankle splinted — if not, it tends to invert (turn under).

Keep fighting,

Deb
      London

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2009 at 11:46 pm

My son has always had to use the forearm crutches to walk (spina bifida), as he puts most of his weight on them, due to extremely weak legs. I tried them once I got upright again after almost 3 years, but found it was easier to walk with two canes. If you can support your weight & aren’t too worried about a hip or knee giving out on you, try using 2 canes. If you need to lean forward to walk & need the extra support, then I would try the crutches…

• Anonymous
      November 27, 2009 at 11:36 pm

I’ve been investigating, and I’m thinking closed cuff forearm crutches might be more convenient than canes, though haven’t tried either yet. I’m concerned abt the fact that if you let go of canes they fall to the ground. Also I have seen a brand called hurricanes that have adjusting feet that self level that makes sense to me.

It’s looking like my lung problems may be Sjogren’s syndrome and necrotizing sarcoid granulomatosis. Sjogren’s can effect vision, balance and extremity strength.

I’m looking to prepare the best I can to being as strong as I can as things continue to weaken.

thanks for sharing your experiences in this discussion.

Erin

• Anonymous
      November 28, 2009 at 1:34 pm

I use a walker with wheels, a seat, and a basket. I can walk as fast as I like, carry what I need and sit down when I get weak.
      I put a wheelchair lift on the back of my car this month. I bought a motorized chair last year but I will walk as long as I can.
      The walker is great for my breathing problems since I can sit down at any time.
      I used a cane for a while and still do if I do not need to go very far. I just don’t feel safe with it. Never tried the crutches.
      Just sharing my experience. (So far 😀 )
      Sue

• Anonymous
      November 28, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Thanks Sue and Pam, Deb, Jim, limekat and Jojo!

I guess I’m gonna have to find a way to try forearm crutches… without buying?

I live in a very rural local and just got back from a walk with my dog and the neighbor dog. I was wishing for my trekking poles but I had left them in the trunk of my car, which my daughter is borrowing for the holiday wkend. I wore my hiking boots which I have found give my a nice stiff walk, which I now find helpful. I had a good walk today. Weak on the uphill, and sweaty but really quite reasonable. I think the poles would have helped with my balance and climb, but still I did well.

My legs felt weak and a bit unsteady earlier today and I was exhausted from holiday overdo, so I took the day slow. I was able to pull it together and improve the messages to my legs and balance by spending a bit of time bouncing on my rebounding trampoline.

I have continued to find the rebounder excellent to increasing my balance and strength. It even makes a difference if I only am on it for 3 minutes a couple of times a day, gentle bouncing without having my feet leave the mat. I share this in case it make sense for others. I bought a rebounder without a handle, but I will buy the add-on handle if I find my balance diminish more.

• Anonymous
      November 28, 2009 at 6:49 pm

I wear AFOs and use open cuff forearm crutches whenever I leave my house. The crutches are very helpful for stability and also to signal to other people not to bump into me. Their only downside is on stairs. I prefer to hold the handrail, if there is one, and it is awkward to manage both crutches in the other hand.

• Anonymous
      November 29, 2009 at 4:10 am

Gary,

How do you manage when you need to use a hand while using the open cuff crutches — e.g., when reaching for your wallet (or in my case, my bus pass in my pocket)? With the closed cuff I can release the handgrip and the crutch stays with me. Thus far I haven’t found a way of keeping the open cuff from hitting the floor when I release the handgrip. Gravity and clumsiness work against me!

Do you shift one crutch to the other side as when on stairs or do you find a way of leaning the crutch against your side or what?

Cheers!

Deb
      London

• Anonymous
      November 30, 2009 at 3:40 am

😀 Hi iwas using both forearm crutches until a few months ago , using one now. I can go shopping now on my own because i can wheel the trolly and put my crutch in the trolly . When i was on both crutches i used to take a bag with me and hang the bag of groceries on my shoulder . I still worry that someone might bump into me and down id go , still have to crawl along the floor and pull myself up on a chair after ive done my core exercises . At home i dont use my crutch and i have fallen but i just get up anyway i can and have a laugh at myself. The frankenstein walk is nearly gone. gbs aug o8

• Anonymous
      November 30, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Deb,

Sometimes my open-cuff crutches crash to the floor just like you describe, but usually they stay with my arm. The cuff is too tight for my forearm to slide out, but my wrist can still fit through the opening. Fortunately, I am now much more stable and my balance is a lot better than it was a year ago. Back then, if I needed to slip off one of my crutches to use my hand, I had to lean myself against a wall or something so I wouldn’t fall over and then lean the crutch against something, too. On stairs, I just go very slowly and carefully. If I need to carry anything, I always take a backpack. Basically, I try to be mindful of my situation and to plan in advance: I’ll take my bus pass out of my wallet and put it in a convenient pocket so I don’t have to struggle with it when the bus arrives.

If the cuffs on my crutches were too loose, though, I don’t know how I’d adjust them. The steel is really springy. Maybe you could stick some padding in the opening to make it smaller?

Regards,
      Gary