forearm crutches, going for it!

• Anonymous
      February 1, 2010 at 6:41 am

ok, they have been ordered and should arrive tuesday.

A few weeks ago I had given in to the weakenss and imbalance of my body and decided for the first time in quite a while, that I needed to use my trekking poles to walk because I didn’t want to stay home. What a revelation!

Using the poles again, I found more effiency of movement, less swaying from side to side, and tipping, and more leg strength and stride length. The only 2 down sides were lower arm and wrist fatigue from holding the poles with my elbow bend, and what to do with the darn things when I needed to pick something up from a shelf in a store, or use my hands in any other way.

Later in the day, I headed off to my physical therapy appointment, and asked the therapist for input. My walking was evaluated with and without the poles. Low and behold, the therapist agreed that walking with assistance is a stronger pattern for me right now.

My physical therapist kindly reminded me of all the other activities I have done in my past prior to my Dx of cidp that build strength and balance like yoga, tia chi, swimming, skiing, running, biking, cross country skiing and snowshoeing. She lamented with me over the decrease in my activity list, due to the disease.

Then she suggested that using forearm crutches on a regular basis, not just when I’m feeling weaker, or tippier would be a good way to get back some stride length and balance by training my brain, and repatterning nerve and muscle areas in my periphery.

So, I am going to try the idea. This is a huge leap for me and means giving up pride to be seen as someone who always uses crutches. Not that I have ever thought anyone else using any kind of an assistive revise weaker than me… I’ve alway held a double standard for myself. I am taking this leap to get more freedom and strength in my life. I have other thing that I want to do besides sitting around cuz “I can’t”. It’s time for me to try a few more “I can’s!”

• Anonymous
      February 1, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Hi, Erin.

For Christmas I got a posh set of crutches — a lovely, shiny blue-green post with black cuffs and anatomically-designed handles. I need them for balance and to take part of the pressure off my legs (distributing weight), so I might as well have something I enjoy. I can still use a walking stick indoors in places I’m familiar with (as long as I’m not around a lot of people), but the crutches enable me to get out and do things I couldn’t do otherwise — like walking any distance.

Deb
      London

• Anonymous
      February 2, 2010 at 11:44 pm

My forearm crutches gave a safe feel of balance.Occasionally I’d use one. Now they come in different colors/websites that offer these.
      Using a cane didn’t help me with balance-more to slow me down to be more careful. I tripped more with a cane.
      My crutches had the arm cuffs so they didn’t fall down as easily when letting go off forearm grip.

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I had GBS now CIDP. Am numb and tingling from the chin down. I use a four pronged cane for short distances and fore arm crutches when i need more stability or unfamilier territory(bad weather also) I was relyig on my cane more this summer but things have changed and i have to use my crutches most of the time when i go out. Bad weather(snow) i resort to my walker. the cane is what i would prefer to use because it is easier to go to the bathroom and easier to get in and out of the car. I also wear an AFO on the leftside due to dropped foot and achilles tendon release. Was wearing them on both feet but right side is stronger than my left. (althoug h lately have noticed issues with the right as well)