For those that are having pain, and prescribed pain pills are not working

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2008 at 2:48 pm

Hi all,
      I know we have discussed this in the past, but I think that even though medical cannibus is legal in my state, (California), I think the pill form, (Marinol) may be available in all states, though other people would have to find out.
      Here is the link to Marinol:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marinol

I am on Neurontin, and have Hydrocodone and Marinol for back-ups.
      Marinol is an excellent drug, and works well for me when pain gets too much. Since I am also on Cytoxin, (chemotherapy), it also helps with the nausea.
      In the article with the link above, I find it very interesting that MS patients are using it for neuropathy pain. Below is an article copied out of the link:

A number of studies indicate that THC may provide medical benefits for cancer and AIDS patients by increasing appetite and decreasing nausea. It has been shown to assist some glaucoma patients by reducing pressure within the eye, and is used in the form of cannabis by a number of multiple sclerosis patients, who can use it to alleviate neuropathic pain and spasticity. The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is currently supporting research into these uses.[14] New scientific evidence is showing that THC can prevent Alzheimer’s Disease in an animal model by preventing the inflammation caused by microglia cells which are activated by binding of amyloid protein.[15]

Research in rats has indicated that THC prevented hydroperoxide-induced oxidative damage as well as or better than other antioxidants in a chemical (Fenton reaction) system and neuronal cultures.[6] The long-term effects of THC on humans have been disputed because its status as an illegal drug makes research difficult.

If the Multiple Sclerosis Society is supporting research with this, I know personally that it helps me, and perhaps helps some of you.
      My neighbor has chronic severe back pain due to a mishap at his work. I gave him some of my Marinol, and now he swears by them, (he had his doctor prescribe it for him).

I hope this might help some of you. I can take up to 3 pills at once, but normally take one or two, depending on the pain.
      Besides helping with nausea, it also increases the appetite, which I need at the moment. So you do get the “munchies”.
      KEDASO

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2008 at 11:56 pm

Very Interesting Ken. I’m glad you have found something that works well for you. Take Care.

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2008 at 12:23 am

Ken,

I went through the college thing and smoked a lot of pot. When I saw several years ago that it might help with pain I was naturally curious. After college I quit doing all that partying and buckled down into a career, a fine family, etc. I wondered about moral and ethical concerns with my kids, I really don’t want them smoking pot, and “do as I say, not as I do” just wasn’t appropriate. But, I was still curious.

I waited until they were all gone to college, and gave it a go a couiple of times. For me, I got high, but no pain relief. I tried to remain conscious about my pain and how if changed or not. So, for me, it didn’t work.

I tried Datura inoxia. Several different preparation methods, different application methods, and even ingestion. I might say that I had some pain relief, but I had “jelly legs” so bad, I couldn’t walk. And the mental alterations rerally made me non-functional. So, I have to conclude that Datura inoxia preparation works, but is useless to live with.

My desire for pain management is to be able to walk and function as long as I can, and remain mentally viable. I do not wish to take more, and have less mental awareness

I guess what I am saying is that we all deal with our pains and our situations individually. Fortunately we can discuss these things like adults and learn from each other. CIDP can be so debilitating for some, and so tolerable for others. Even the Gov’t says that CIDP is not usually an incapacitating disease. So, we must learn how to live with it, and how to do what we can with what we have.

Thanks for your opinions

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2008 at 8:11 am

Hi Kedaso,

I was wondering, Is marinol synthetic or made from the source of THC, and what do you feel taking one pill of marinol is the equivalent of mary jane wise?
      Does it make you really drowsy and all? I am glad to hear that it helps you.
      THC not only helps appetite and nausea, it also helps in sound sleep.

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2008 at 8:27 am

Hi all,

Just to add my experience. I did try a couple (3 in fact) hits of the “real” stuff last weekend, and it did help with some muscle relaxation and sleep. What I did notice is that the twitches and tics got worse (which is normal when I’m relaxing), or maybe they were just more noticeable. It just took the edge off, and I actually got some good laughs in. I don’t plan on purchasing any, as I am too much of a control freak to be “stoned” all the time! But I’m not in the pain that many of the members here are. Go with whatever works!!!

Dawn

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Marinol is synthetic, not the pure THC from our lovely lady Mary Jane. I support the use of medical marijuana, there are currently 12 U.S. states with medicinal marijuana laws. If you want to learn more about marijuana reform laws check out: [url]www.norml.org[/url] Cannabis is most thereaputic for me when ever I bake with it.
      Peace & Nugz,
      Flower

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2008 at 4:54 pm

I too was a pot smoker back in the day but after getting married and having children, I stopped smoking it. Boy was I a pot head back then. High school days and early college years. For some reason though, I would alway’s get paranoid! I guess it might have been because I had parents around and they were alway’s watching.
      I had a friend of mine up North that grew her own plants and smoked them for her Lupus and CNS Vasculitis. In the winter time though she always had to make a pot run into Chester and she got busted! She was so humiliated it was no joke. Had to go through drug classes and all!
      My husband managed to get me some once to see if it would help with my Lupus. While he was gone, I took a few hits and got high as a kite and got all paranoid and nervous. But the only thing I noticed while I was being high. I actually cleaned up my entire house! 😀
      I have a cousin that is on that drug Marinol! He has Mylositic Leukemia. The bad form of Leukemia. He has alot of debilating days and has an RX for this. But in my opinion depending on the disability and the disease itself and for some people that are really chronically ill, I think the drug is very useful! It just depends on the patient, their disease process and how bad that patient is in with thier illness. My cousin’s survival rate for this disease was only 5 years. He has actually held on for 12 years. But getting really bad off with it now doing more suffering than anything else. So whe he got that bad off, the doctors RX’d him the Marinol.
      Poor cousin of mine has a $20,000 a month medicine bill! I hope I never see that kind of bill! But IVIG”s are what? $13000.00. Not cheap drugs are they!