for pts of Dr. Lewis from Michigan

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I know some of the posters here go to Dr. Lewis, who is outside of Detroit in Michigan. I have a question about what his protocal is for pain. I have a neuro who is doing good for my IVIG’s, but I get terrible pain in my hands and feet. I have tried a lot of antidep, some work and then stop working, even after raising the dosage. My neuro does not want me to use Vicodin, but he is not completely against it until he finds something else. Now after more pain has come even the Vicodin does not help it. I can’t use antidep (they don’t work good on me and I get terrible side effects) and I am wondering what other meds Dr. Lewis might use. I have considered changing doctors, just because of the pain issue. I know a lot of people here like him. Any info would be appreciated. I have not lost strength in my arms and legs and the CIDP has not progressed much since the IVIG’s (been on them for about 5-6 years). I just need relief from this pain. 🙁
      Clare in Michigan

• Anonymous
      May 2, 2011 at 12:55 am

Have you tried Alpha Lipoic Acid? I use 1,800 per day. It is over the counter. I had so much nerve pain, I actually went up to 2,400 mg per day for a few months. I is the only thing that helped me. Pain pills do nothing for nerve pain. As far as Dr. Lewis- I’m not so sure about him. There have been several situations that have left me questioning him. I can’t really give a fair assessment of him as I have only met with him on three occassions. I want a doctor who can “know my case. know my meds. know the new cidp meds. be honest and protect me to the best of their ability”. As far as I know, they don’t exsist. Maybe the doctors are overworked; Maybe they are hurrying to get on the golf course- who knows? I think you will learn, YOU are your best advocate. I do research every single night. I still can’t find a doctor who I want to go to. I am considering Dr. Teener from the U of M Hospital in Ann Arbor. I also live in Michigan. Northeast Michigan just north of Bay City. What part of Michigan are you from? You can email me at [email]ddlapan@yahoo.com[/email]

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I go to Dr. Lewis, If it wasn’t for him i wouldn’t be here today, he really did help me and i guess you could say he saved my life. I actually travel 3hrs to see him ever 4 months. He had me on high doses of neurotin, but it never really took away my pain in a whole but it did bring it down, and helped me go to sleep and deal with it. I haven’t used a lot of other meds to help me with pain meds but neurotin has been the best.

I hope this works.

mccy_blueyes