Foot Drop And…

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2006 at 3:08 am

Hi Everyone

Its been a long time when I was diagnosed, Apr 2004. Thou I have recovered a lot, but still not normal, some problems are there.

1. Firstly, I have a FOOT DROP, thou in left leg it is comparetively less, but in right leg I dont have control on my ankle.

2. Secondly, my thumbs are still weak, thou fingers are much better but thumbs of both hand are still not normal (& u cant do much work without the support of thumb).

Just wanna know, is it normal that recovery in these parts of body takes much longer time or these problems will accompany me for rest of my life.

Looking for your suggestions & help…

Take Care
      Pravesh

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2006 at 7:10 am

pravesh,

yes. also constantly exercise these parts. force them to try & be normal. never give up. never give in. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2006 at 7:14 am

Pravesh,

From my view point, you still are in the early stages of recovery. I feel you have a great chance of getting more control of your feet/ankles and thumbs back. In my case it took many years to get what I have back. I have use of my thumbs even though they are weak and am able to do much of what I did before GBS. Also I have never gotten rid of my weak ankles and foot drop, but have been able to eliminate the use of leg braces and am able to walk about anywhere I choose if I am careful. Give yourself time and you may be surprised how you will slowly improve. Even if you do not get it all back you will learn to improvise. Good luck..

GB

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2006 at 8:50 pm

hang in there pravesh…you learn to make accomodations. i am still showing improvemetn over two years later.

take care

sherry

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2006 at 11:51 pm

Hi

Thankx for all the motivation and advice.

Some people adviced me for AFO, but my doc says I dont need them as I can walk without using any artificial help. But while walking I have to raise knee quite a bit to clear the ground & stairs climbing is even more difficult. According to doc my ankles are very-2 weak (almost no recovery since the onset), I wanna know [B]Is there any specific exercise which can help strengthening my akles[/B].

Take Care
      Pravesh

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 2:48 pm

If you can’t control your ankle you need an AFO, I use them in both ankles because I can’t move them either and the AFO’s help you avoid falls and who needs more complications? right?

as to exercise I go to a very good PT and we focus in streaching a lot

hope I helped.

Simon

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 10:04 pm

Pravesh, take a tennis ball or hard rubber ball and put it under your foot, roll it back and forth using your foot/ankle muscles to move it. try not to move your thigh, just your lower leg. make sure you exercise your toes also. you can do these exercises anywhere and anytime. it also feels like a message on your feet. while you put your toes on the ball try to stretch your achilles tendon, slowly, pushing your heel downwards, don’t push them too far or too fast.

Foot Drop And…

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2006 at 3:07 am

Hi Everyone

Its been a long time when I was diagnosed, Apr 2004. Thou I have recovered a lot, but still not normal, some problems are there.

1. Firstly, I have a FOOT DROP, thou in left leg it is comparetively less, but in right leg I dont have control on my ankle.

2. Secondly, my thumbs are still weak, fingers are much better but thumbs of both hand are still not normal (& u cant do much work without the support of thumb).

Just wanna know, is it normal that recovery in these parts of body takes much longer time or these problems will accompany me for rest of my life.

Looking for your suggestions & help…

Take Care
      Pravesh

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2006 at 8:43 am

Hi there,

I can’t speak to the CIDP, having GBS, but I do know about hands and fingers and thumbs. When this area is effected, keep streatching the thumb and index fingers, keeping the webbing between them plyable and streatched out. Nobody saw that for me, and that webbing shrunk reducing range considerably, no matter how much the nerves come back. Having had a crash coarse in complete quad training an adaption, if all fails, the thumb and index finger will be the only savior, if healing doesn’t bring it around. It called a quad grip. Like making an Ok sign with your hand, touching thumb and tip of index fingers together. You’d be surprised how much can be done and carried with just this grip. Even in a weaked state. So, those two, need the most attention and work, but don’t neglect the others too. Always remember, weight of an object, will be the enemy for awhile as strength comes back, so always start with the lightest objects, to learn feel and technique. By knowing this and learning this, it’s more of a bottom line you are establishing, should things deteriorate. Not that you’ll be like this from now on.

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2006 at 3:14 pm

If foot drop is in any of your family or relatives, have you considered Charcot Marie Tooth aka CMT? I researched it trying to identify my symptoms before I was diagnosed with CIDP.

CMT is a family thing, having hammer toes, “stork legs,” (severe muscle atrophy in the legs, hence the name.) It was my first neurologist that suggested this before I got my real Dx.

Take care
      Patricia

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2006 at 4:42 pm

They are beginning to find that people with inherited neuropathies sometimes have acquired neuropathies, too. The best way to confirm CMT is genetic testing.

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2006 at 7:20 am

hi ,
      I think it is the best way to give masage to you finger and move it up and down and it is very important to give massage to you finger

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2006 at 6:50 pm

I am a chronic relapser CIDP diagnosed 1996. I thought I recovered from that episode well tho’ I couldn’t dorsiflex my right foot completely. After my next “significant” episode I have foot drop in my right foot and my ankle is not flexible at all. My left has reduced fexliblity. I have had that for past 10 years and I have to work hard to keep the flexiblity that I do have. Every small attack my achelles tendon seems to like to shorten – I have a sleeping splint to keep my right foot in a flexed postion – this helps a lot.

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2006 at 10:49 am

Pravex,

AFO’S (ankle/foot braces) help me most with foot-drop which I have in both.
      I haven’t fallen since I began to wear them and I was falling freq

Click me

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2006 at 12:02 pm

My right ancle wants to go out to the right. If I forget to try to walk with it straight, it turns out, more and more and it feels like it’s right. If I turn it straight it feels like it is pointing in. Is there a devide to keep it straight?

Good health to you
      Patricia

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2006 at 11:50 pm

Hi

Thankx for all the motivation and advice.

As far as AFO is concerned, my doc says I dont need them as I can walk without using any artificial help. But while walking I have to raise knee quite a bit to clear the ground & stairs climbing is even more difficult. According to doc my ankles are very-2 weak (almost no recovery since the onset), I wanna know [B]Is there any specific exercise which can help strengthening my akles[/B].

Take Care
      Pravesh

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2006 at 3:31 pm

You can improve ankle strength with elastic bands. Check it out at any sports outlet.

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2006 at 1:09 am

Hi

I woud like to knw more about Elastic Bands.

Pravesh

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2006 at 1:10 am

Hi

I would like to know more about Elastic Bands.

Pravesh