Food and GBS

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2008 at 7:23 am

Monday, November 24, 2008
      Food Safety:
      cut and paste the following link for the complete article.
      http://pcefamiliesconsumers.blogspot.com/2008/11/food-safety-one-drop-can-do-so-much.html

One drop can do so much damage —-

It’s only one drop but the damage could last a lifetime. More than 200 known diseases are transmitted through food. Each year 76 million cases of food borne disease are reported. Even though the majority of cases are mild, lasting 1-2 days, the more serious cases will land you in the hospital. The very young, very old and those with a compromised immune system are most at risk. Yearly, 5,000 cases lead to death. The Food and Drug Administration estimates that illnesses from food borne bacteria can lead to secondary, long-term illnesses in 2-3 percent of the cases. —–

Your family and friends may not trace their illnesses back to meeting the most popular pathogens “Campy,” “Sammy” and “Cal” at your dining room table because these guys may rest a few days before making their presence known. Campylobacer strikes the door of 2.4 million people every year. It is the most common identified bacterial cause of diarrheal illnesses. These bacteria live in the intestines of healthy birds. Most raw poultry has it on it. A single drop of raw chicken juice can infect a person. Another culprit is eating undercooked chicken. Contracting this microbe in your lifetime is the most common precipitating factor for Guillain-Barre Syndrome. —-

For more food safety information during the holidays check out the following article:

http://www.fda.gov/consumer/updates/foodsafetytips111307.pdf

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2008 at 6:29 am

Wow! That is a very interesting article! Thanks for sharing this. And we as women that cook in our kitchen may be clean but those little bacteria’s are something we can’t even see.
      I always cook my meats until they are tender. Even Pork gets over cooked where it almost falls apart. I will not even eat a medium rare steak. It has to be well done.
      Thanks for sharing this.
      Hugs! Happy Thanksgiving!