Folate deficiency all along?

• December 19, 2017 at 1:27 pm

I’ve had CIDP since 2001. IViG was not effective. In 2003 I began taking Cerefolin NAC and felt a big improvement. At the time, I wasn’t sure that was why I was feeling better. I thought perhaps it was getting my thyroid numbers under control. I switched neurologists and the new doctor felt it was nonsense and that an OTC vitamin B supplement would be just as effective.

This year, I returned to my original neurologist. This time he suggested I get a genetic blood test which revealed a significant variant (MTHFR 677 T/T) associated with reduced folate metabolism. He said this could lead to demyelination. He wasn’t willing to say that this mutation is responsible for my CIDP but it certainly would complicate it. It all seemed to fall into place for me as I always felt there was a key to unlocking this mystery.

This time, he prescribed PoDiaPN which he likes better than cerefolin because it also contains alpha lipoic acid. It has (6S)-5-MTHF which is supposed to be better than folic acid. According to their website, it’s supposed to be seven times more bioavailable than folic acid. I have to say that I do feel better and although I can overdo walking, my recovery seems quicker. I’ve now been on PoDiaPN for 2 months so we’ll see how it goes… Marketing hype or the real thing.

I’m wondering if anyone else has experience with this type of prescription…. PoDiaPN, Cerefolin or something else?