flu shots for our children

    • Anonymous
      February 15, 2007 at 2:18 pm

      Hello everyone , I have a concern for my children getting the flu shot, since my mother came down with GBS in 2004 ( not from flu shot ) I am scared to have my children get the flu shot. Here in Minnesota 5 people have died from the flu , I guess because they didn’t seek medical attention in time. Because some GBS cases occured after the flu shot and I witnessed the hell my mother went through with GBS , I am more afraid of GBS than the flu ! I’m I wrong , or should I get them the shot ?? Is there any data on the % of people who get the flu shot and then get GBS ?
      thank you , Jodi

    • Anonymous
      February 15, 2007 at 5:08 pm

      Hi Jodi,

      My husband developed GBS/CIDP from the Flu vaccine, and I try to give any information pertaining to the flu shot to anyone who will listen.

      Yes, you can get GBS from the flu shot just as you can from any other vaccines that are given to children. The decision always lies with you, only you can make that decision for your child.

      Most of the time the flu vaccine that is given does not protect you from the flu that might be around for that year. It’s a crap shoot on the pharma companies when developing the vaccine. No one knows which flu strain will hit for any given year.

      So just remember it is your decision alone to vaccinate or not.:)

    • Anonymous
      February 15, 2007 at 5:40 pm

      Hi Jodi,

      My brother asked his doctor if his flu shot had anything to do with his getting GBS. The doctor told him that it’s the “event” that happened two weeks prior to coming down with GBS that they consider the ‘trigger’. My brother had the flu shot about 5-6 weeks prior. The two week prior event was the bronchitis / upper respiratory infection. — dunno — ?? That’s what his doctor said… but there are probably going to be lots of opinions on this. Even my brother was still dubious.

      I’ve decided that I’m NOT going to get the flu shot anymore. Instead, I’m going to watch my vitamin D level and take the D3 supplements. I’m asking my sons to consider giving cod liver oil or some other D3 supplement to my granddaughters instead of getting the flu shot.

      I heard about the problem you folks in Minnesota are having with the flu this year. And as a Mom, I know it’s really hard to figure out what to do for your kids. Obviously, talk to your doctors about your concerns and do your own research too.

      I wish you the best… and hope you figure out a plan.


    • Anonymous
      February 15, 2007 at 6:20 pm

      I read a website today that explains just how easy it is to get a reaction from flu vaccine and what they’re made from that is so risky.
      You can cut and paste this to your browser and read it. See what you think.

    • Anonymous
      February 15, 2007 at 7:07 pm


      Thank you for posting the link about GBS and flu shots. It is interesting and alarming.

      I wonder if children of GBS patients are more likely to get GBS from the flu shot than other individuals. While there is no direct genetic link to GBS, it is known that some familys have a predisposition to getting auto-immune disorders.

      My daughter will soon be deciding about getting flu shots for my grandson. I wonder if the fact that I have GBS and hypothyroid (another auto-immune problem), and my daughter also has hypothyroid, might make my grandson more at risk for getting GBS.

      Maybe I’m over-reacting…. :confused:


    • Anonymous
      February 15, 2007 at 7:41 pm

      I only have a quick minute to respond here but I wanted to add that my daughter’s home care nurse does NOT get a flu shot because she’s seen way too many patients that have developed autoimmune diseases from then.

      I will never have one again & neither will my husband. I don’t feel that they are necessary. The Polio vaccine is necessary not a flu shot.


    • Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 12:06 am

      I think its important to get all the info we can about what may have caused us and our family members to become so sick that they nearly died.
      There are autoimmune related illnesses in my family too, besides Nate.
      I have RA and my sister had Ulcerative Colitis until they removed her colon.
      I know I will not ever and neither will Nate get a flu shot again.
      Nate’s flu shot in November 05, then his gallbladder shutting down just weeks later, then paralysis the same day of surgery, then diagnosis of GBS within 1 week of that is just too suspect to me to be ruled as just coincidental.
      I can no longer just accept what other people tell me to do without checking it out for myself.
      Too many things happen that you don’t expect.

    • Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 10:04 am

      Thank you all for responding to my fear about flu shots. My mother said “no” to getting the flu shot . I think we both fear the unknown and it would be a nightmere if the kids got GBS because shot. We still live in fear of someone else we love getting GBS. If we get the flu here at home I will make sure to go to the doctor right away ! I see all those people in line for the flu shot and wonder how many of them will come down with GBS. It is sad that many people do not even know about GBS to this day ! I know when mom got it we all raced home to research GBS. I had this urge to hand out papers explaining symptoms of GBS to all those parents in line for shots.
      Thanks again, Jodi

    • Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 11:29 am

      Hi Jann,

      The window of opportunity of developing GBS is around 6-8 or 8-10 weeks from the flu vaccine or any vaccine, I keep forgetting the correct week span. This would put your brother at the timing for GBS to develope, but the span is quite alot of time.

      Take care

    • Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 12:30 pm

      I read that it was from 6 to 8 weeks but I can’t remember where.
      That would put Nate right in the ball park.

    • Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 2:15 pm

      Hi Jodi, my son (8 yrs) got the flu vacc and came down with the flu anyway. i also came down with it and it wasn’t pretty. my hubby got the vacc and came down with a very mild case of it at the same time. my daughter (13 yrs) didn’t get the vacc and didn’t get the flu. i have concluded that it is not worth the money and worry so i will not vacc my kid(s) anymore against the flu. i hope your mom and your family are doing ok this winter. take care.

    • Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 2:53 pm


      I feel that my children are quiet healthy and have decided not to let them get the flu shot. Hopefully if they are strong enough to fight off the flu if they do get it, and getting the shot does not guarantee them from not getting the flu in any case. I have elected also not to have my 14 year old daughter get vaccinated against meningitis, it is an optional shot they are wanting to give highschoolers now.