Flu in the house

• Anonymous
      December 16, 2006 at 9:21 pm

This may be really stupid question, but I don’t know the answer & I can’t seem to find it on my own. My hubby had GBS 4 yrs ago. He is doing rather well now. Residual tiredness, still. But my question is, my 3 yr old has the flu. Is there any chance of that causing hubby to relapse? I want him to stay away from her, but he refuses. Please advise. Thanks. I lurk here a lot. This is my first post.

• Anonymous
      December 16, 2006 at 10:00 pm

Lea Anne

I’ve been searching for an old thread that you may have found interesting about this topic, just cant seem to find it …. In anycase, I cant quite remember the correct numbers. I know that it is rare, but possible, to get GBS from flu again .. rare being the operative word – but then again getting GBS is rare 😉 . Many who do get flu tend to have residuals that seem to get worse for a time, and some of them find it hard to shake the flu. There are also those who say that they seem to be more resiliant than they were before, and also that the flu doesn’t seem to bother them much. So I’m sure that doesnt help you out at all, or answer your question. I think the important thing here is to make sure your husband washes his hands OFTEN, specially when he has been around your 3 year old.
      I dont think any of us know what could cause a relapse, and we know that however ‘rare’ it could be, it is still possible. Your husband obviously doesnt want to miss the precious time he has with your 3 year old, but I do understand your concern.

• Anonymous
      December 17, 2006 at 12:08 am

Hi Lea Anne and welcome!

My PCP says his “secret” to staying well during the winter is “wash, wash, wash those hands”:D Every winter he follows his own advice, he doesn’t get sick. When he doesn’t, he gets nasty sick just like everyone else. I’ve been his patient for over 6 years and have witnessed it first hand (so to speak!). It probably would be best if your husband didn’t cuddle his little one for a few days, especially if there is fever.

• Anonymous
      December 17, 2006 at 12:15 am

Lea Anne

Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) is a cause of Infectious Mononucleosis (Glandular fever) and is also one of the known triggers for GBS, the others are campylobacter jejuni (a food poisoning bug), Cytomegalovirus (one of the sore throats)and Mycoplasma pneumoniae (atypical pneumonia affecting upper lobes of the lungs). DocDavid

Sorry your daughter is suffering with the flu.
      The fact is not all triggers are known so you are wise to use the cauctions that were suggested by Ali. Doc David in an answer to a question regarding
      Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) gave the following answer.

EBV is a cause of Infectious Mononucleosis (Glandular fever) and is also one of the known triggers for GBS, the others are campylobacter jejuni (a food poisoning bug), Cytomegalovirus (one of the sore throats)and Mycoplasma pneumoniae (atypical pneumonia affecting upper lobes of the lungs). DocDavid

Cases of GBS such as mine were preceded by an Upper Respiratory Infection(URI) was not declared as flu. Both Primary Care and Neurologist fet that it was the trigger for my GBS. I have had Colds, URIs etc since the initial bout in 2000 accompanied with some increase in residuals. However, I would not consider that the same as a relapse.

• Anonymous
      December 17, 2006 at 5:37 am

Flu is a loosely used term to cover upper respiratory infections from the common cold onwards. Influenza is an epidemic illness, I recall influenza epidemics where I was doing housevisits till 11 at night and it ws not worth taking my stethoscope off but kept the end warm in my waistcoatpocket. Very different from the common cold. DocDavid

• Anonymous
      December 17, 2006 at 10:45 am

Lea Ann,

I suffered through influenza a few years ago and came out of it okay. It was a horrible week of the crap, but I kept telling myself it was better than taking a chance getting the flu shot and getting GBS that way again. I did take Tamiflu which helped some.

As others pointed out, does your child have the real ‘flu’ or upper respitory stuff???

I guess our theme should be wash, wash, wash, and then rest, rest, rest. We need lots of rest to keep our systems happy.

Good luck,

• Anonymous
      December 19, 2006 at 4:42 pm

Real flu. Now 2 of the kids have. Dr said I was next.

• Anonymous
      December 19, 2006 at 4:46 pm

Adam “has” to cuddle his babies. I have told him to stay away. It is very upseting to me. We have been washing our hands & lysol-ing like crazy!

• Anonymous
      December 19, 2006 at 4:50 pm

Thanks to everyone with all your advice.

• Anonymous
      December 19, 2006 at 9:48 pm

This grandma knows ~ I “have” to cuddle the little ones, too. BUT, ask you husband “how will I be able to handle it all if you have the flu also and what if it put you in the hospital”?? Gently remind him that you need his support to best care for the family. And this is something he can do! It won’t be so long before all are feeling better and if Dad doesn’t catch the flu everyone will rejoice! I wish you all “well” 🙂

• Anonymous
      October 12, 2007 at 12:40 pm

I need some info real quick ! I feel like I am coming down with the flu and I called the Dr. office yesterday afternoon and asked if he would call me in something for it. When my wife went to pick it up and brought it home I opened it up and there it was the TAMIFLU tablets and a bottle of Anaplex DM. Wife called this morning and the Dr said none of the things he called in for me would not give me the flu. Well, I reminded my wife that the Dr. also has tryed for 5-6 years now for me to get the flu shot. I think I finally got to him the last time he tryed and I reminded him again that people with GBS should be careful about getting the flu shot. He then said, I guess there would be some concern there. I don’t know where to take the Tamiflu tablets or not ? I would appreciate some help with this really fast; as I have never taken the Tamiflu tablets before. Thanks and a big God bless to all my GBS family.

Drummer