Fish Oil Again

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2008 at 4:47 am

It’s a conspiracy I’m sure… Norb have you been in touch with my Dad? Anyway, my fountain of chemical info has forwarded another tidbit I thought I’d share with you all…

[QUOTE]It is unusual for FDA to allow labeling on a food for therapeutic claims. This week’s edition of Chemical and Engineering News (American Chemical Society) has a lead article in its Business column over Omega-3s fish oil acids and Vegetable Sterols. These foods have been thought to be effective and claimed for a few years to reduce total triglycerides and improve the ratio of HDL to LDL, but FDA’s allowance means enough data to enable labeling: “diets including omega-3s and sterols may reduce the risk of heart disease” on their product labels. Foods containing these were in packaging with icons of little red hearts and little blue fishes. The author quotes a comment that statin drugs do the same but have side effect for some people. The problems overcome are fish oils and plant sterols smell bad and taste awful, but there are brief descriptions how these objections have been over come. In your grocery shopping you might look for those icons if you want to give the product a try. If anyone wants to read the whole article I will scan it tomorrow. Let me know.[/QUOTE]

Let me know if anyone wants the entire article and I’ll ask my Dad to scan it for me – personally I’ve gotten as close to fish oil as I plan to get – it took weeks to get the smell out of my hair when that stupid radioactive pill burst on the back of my neck. I may never recover from that horribly smelly experience… and I still have a bottle of fish oil capsules if anyone wants it – my dogs won’t even take them! 😮

Julie

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2008 at 8:31 am

I take the fish oil too because I have really high cholesterol. It runs in my family. Never had any problems with smells though. But never had a capsule burst either. Hmm! I bet that was smelly! 😀
      Worst part! I have cats too! They would eat mommy here up smelling something like that! LOL!

• August 1, 2008 at 11:00 am

I take it too and have not had any problems with smell or burps that I have read is often a “side effect”. I take it for the heart/cholesterol benefits as well as the anti inflammatory since our western diets include way too many omega 6’s….plus I hate eating fish or any seafood.

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2008 at 11:45 am

I’m with you fairly odd mother-I take it because I hate seafood and eat a couple of fish. Also take flaxseed oil, my sil said it helps the omega 3 work better. Have to take it at a different time than Vitc,b,calcium-D, the pharmacist told me-one group is water soluble and the other fat soluble, I believe..some days hard to remember the 2nd set, which is the omega-flaxseed. The softgels I take don’t smell bad or leave an aftertaste, just big.
      Emma

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2008 at 11:50 pm

Julie:

You can get a newer fish oil that guarantees no after taste. I take it for my cholestrial also. Plus I also eat fish. I take 3 a day but can take up to six according to a endocronologist I had while living in Ohio. It does help

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2008 at 9:28 am

Julie,
      I’ve been taking Rite-Aid’s PharmAssure brand of Omega 3-6-9 softgel capsules for years now, with no after taste or burping. As Emma noted, these are big softgels, but they go down easy.

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2008 at 11:36 am

I’m still taking the softgels I got at Sam’s Club. A few weeks ago I ran over one in the bathroom with my power chair and it burst. It did have an unusual smell, not very strong, but it certainly wasn’t fishy. But then I’m not very sensitive to fishy smells and you, Julie, may have hated it. Am I getting any benefits from taking the fish oil ? I don’t really know.

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2008 at 7:10 pm

The key to taking these fish oils is to keep them in your freezer and by the time they warm up, they are past th epoint at which you will “burp” them.

I took them many years ago and they built up in my system. I had a migraine equivalent – no pain like a migraine because it centered in the vision part of my brain. I saw a hot dog suspended in the air. Honest. So Freudian. It took a month for it to get out of my system. I had brain freezes that entire time and not since. I just wanted to warn people that sometimes weird symptoms are merely an overtaxing of the body. I have not taken fish oil since and the last time I got my bloodwork done, my HDL(good cholesterol) as off the charts. So I must be doing something right. Not sure which supplements are doing that.

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2008 at 8:08 pm

Julie’s dad mentions fish oils as acting like statins. I have read a lot about statin drugs recently (for a research project about heart attacks), but have been impressed with the fact that in addition to effects on lipids, they have a profound effect on the immune system. Statins have been tried with enough success in MS to lead to second generation trials. They have also been tried in other autoimmune diseases. The best information is with the animal models of GBS and MS; in these two the results are really impressive. It may not be as much in humans with all their variabilities, but it seems to me a really promising area.

There are also reports on the benefits of Fish Oils on modulation of the immune system. This is a little less in the “medical literature” and more in the Alternative medical literature, but still. I take Flaxseed Oil because I was told by my internist that it is as beneficial and you do not taste fishy surprises.

WithHope for a cure of these diseases

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2008 at 8:24 pm

Have any one taken Red Yeast Rice 600 for cholestrial. I have been taking it for over 5 yrs and and dropped my cholestrial from 265 to below 200 in 4 months. It is all natural and my doctor prefers it over the Meds. If you decide to try it and are on something like Zocore check with your doctor before you switch. and remember so many doctors hate to admit something natural will replace one of their drugs. and you will not have a book telling you how the med will kill you and one parigraph saying how great it is for you LOL (Steve)

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2008 at 3:39 am

I had to try several different kinds of Statins before I finally found one that worked very well Lovastatin. That’s a good Cholesterol med with no bad side effects. Fish oil is used for so many things. Even Lupus patients is helps for. But if you have allergies to seafood Fish Oil can be dangerous. Just depends on the seafood allergy.