First day at work

    • Anonymous
      October 17, 2006 at 12:37 pm

      Tuesday, October 17th!!!!

      My husband is going back to work today. I’m so excited and happy for him. The rehab consultant started him off with 2 days a week for 4 hrs. That is the plan for six weeks and then they will decide whether to add more 1/2 days.

      It’s been about 20 months since it all began back in Feb 2005. 11 weeks ICU, paralysis from head to toe, vented, 1 surgery for Peritonitus and lots of plasmapheresis treatments and two treatments IVIG. Three months later it was the Prednisone that seemed to be the solution for him

      He was diagnosed CIDP at the beginning of May 2005 and started 80mg Prednisone. He’s now off the Prednisone completely. His biggest problem is the fatigue and pain/aches in his feet, sleeping and keeping up with our now 2yr old daughter.

      So keep the faith.

      Hugs of support to everyone!!

    • Anonymous
      October 17, 2006 at 12:59 pm

      Hi HeHasWhat, welcome to the family. That is great news about your husband. Is he taking neurontin for the aches and pains? it is great for the nerve pain. Please give him my best and make sure he doesn’t over do it and gets plenty of rest so he can play and enjoy the time with your little angel. take care.:)

    • Anonymous
      October 17, 2006 at 6:33 pm

      Glad to hear that, what a huge step. He sure has come a long way.


    • Anonymous
      October 17, 2006 at 8:22 pm

      Congrats and welcome! Such a great story and I’m sure the relief in getting back some parts of his old life and thrilling!

    • Anonymous
      October 17, 2006 at 11:16 pm

      Welcome… thats great news to hear about him going back to work again.

    • Anonymous
      October 18, 2006 at 9:01 am

      He isn’t taking Neurontin. He used to take Gabapentin but he felt it didn’t help him at all.

      As for the sleeping, I finally convinced him to get a sleeping pill but he didn’t like the way he felt the next day. He didn’t sleep well before he got sick but I attribute that to his shift work. I think years of over-ridding his body telling him that he was tired kind of messed him up. Now, of course, his CIDP makes it even worse. Perhaps I will try to convince him to ask the doctor for a prescription sleeping aid rather than an over the counter one. He really doesn’t like taking pills though.

      As for his first day, it went well. His work has been very supportive of him and all his collegues too.

      I should also add that last weekend I saw a piece on Good Morning Canada on GBS. It was about a man from Montreal who had GBS and was put on steroids. It wasn’t very detailed but it was nice to see GBS in the media.


    • Anonymous
      October 19, 2006 at 6:44 am

      I hope, from my own experience, as he will keep going at work and thereby keep himself busy off the GBS, he will get soon better. I also got much relief when I resumed my duties and self-confidence started slowly building up.

      But take care as stated by others and not to do overwork.

    • Anonymous
      October 19, 2006 at 11:45 pm


      Your husband should try another type of sleeping aid. Ambien or Ambien CR are both very effective and don’t leave you with a drug hangover the next day. Rest is SO important for recovery.


    • Anonymous
      October 23, 2006 at 11:14 am

      Going back to work, even part-time will emotionally do a lot for both of you. My neurologist also prescribed Tramadol – for muscle pain. I find that the Gabapentin/Neurontin isn’t enough alone – even in high doses and the combination helps the pain as well as helping me sleep at night. If I don’t take the Tramadol ( Ultracet), I will wake up in pain about 3AM. A pain management doctor also prescribed 10 mg of an antidepressant to help with the sleeping. Now it is rare that I awake in the middle of the night in pain ( I only awake from my husband’s snoring – I wish there was a pill for that!).

      Wishing you all peace and health.


    • Anonymous
      October 24, 2006 at 12:56 am

      I don’t get actual pain but I wake up early every morning becaus the stiffness in my lower legs becomes so great – it becomes a cross between restless leg vs cold (mainly because I kick the covers off due to temp variations probably due to GBS) I envariably do some stretches, etc. and change my sleep position but sleep is fitful from then on. I believe I have hit a plateau – 80%? Becoming extremely tired after doing anything prolonged. Still frustrated.