First cold since GBS

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2006 at 12:14 am

Ben is sick with his first real cold since getting GBS 19 months ago. He’s pretty miserable, and I feel so bad for him, especially since he’ll be sick on his birthday tomorrow. I asked him if he felt achiness or tingling anywhere, and he said he feels too numb to know. He doesn’t seem to be having trouble with paralysis though, so I’m taking that as a good sign. I’ve been trying not to freak out all day today, but I really hate seeing him so bad off. I don’t know how to describe his symptoms since he hasn’t told me anything specific, but he’s sneezing a lot and almost vomited when I tried to feed him chicken noodle soup. His brother stopped by, and we managed to get him to eat an orange and drink some OJ. He did that with no problem. He does seem to be going to the bathroom a lot, which concerns me, but no diarrhea as of yet. He also says he has a sore throat, and it hurts to talk.

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2006 at 4:08 am

Hi Shannon, I can imagine you’re being scared right now, especially because the memory of Ben having GBS is still very fresh for you. From what you describe all the symptoms he is having right now are not GBS-related, but sound like an old-fashioned flu to me. Good thing you are there to keep an eye on him though, to comfort and take care of him. I will be thinking of you both. And oh, yeah, happy birthday to Ben!

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2006 at 6:21 am

Hi Eva,

Thank you for the response. I was wondering if this could be the flu or just a cold, but it is seeming like the flu more and more. He says his nerves are definitely affected though, as they feel “jumpy” and “sensitive.” He was up and down all night. I think I may be calling in from work today to be here with him. I’ve been helping him walk because he’s very weak right now, and I think he would hurt himself if I’m not here. I’ll let him make that call in three hours. Okay, I’m going to try to get a little more sleep before the alarm goes off!

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2006 at 9:17 am

Okay, I won’t be going to work today. Ben’s nerves are noticably jumpy now, and he’s kicking his legs uncontrollably. We’re waiting to hear back from the neuro.

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2006 at 9:28 am

Hey Shan,

I am sorry to hear that Ben isn’t feeling well. Every time I get the flu or a cold I feel completely miserable. I think calling his Neuro was the best idea, just to be sure. Call me if you need/want to I will be around today, leave me a message if I don’t answer. Take care and talk to you soon.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2006 at 10:40 am

Hey, thoughts are with you 2 as you “weather this storm” together! Don’t forget the Vitamin C and lots of liquids ๐Ÿ™‚ hugs, DocMom

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2006 at 11:41 am

Jer – Thanks for the call back! You know I appreciate it!

Judi – DocMom gives great advice! I totally forgot to give Ben his vitamins yesterday! I’ll be sure to give them to him today!

His PCP wants me to take him to the hospital, so we’ll probably be there all day.

Love, Shannon

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2006 at 11:51 am

Good luck at the hospital Shan and your very welcome. Give me a call later and let me know how it goes. Take care and don’t be afraid to kick Ben a kick in the a** if he is being stubborn ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jer

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2006 at 12:23 pm

Thanks again, Jer. I just talked to the neuro, and he is going to meet us at the hospital. Sounds like an MRI of the brain is in the works for today. I’ll let you know what’s going on as soon as I have a chance to call.

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2006 at 12:38 pm

Shan give Ben a Big Hug for me. Sorry to hear he is not feeling well, hopefully it is just the flu. lots of fluids and popsicles. Hapy Birthday Ben, get feeling better so you can celebrate! Take care of yourself also Shan. Hugs!!!

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 9:04 pm

I’m back from the hospital. Ben is staying overnight for his second night. I was able to take a couple days off work, so I stayed with him last night. We had a little slumber party, and fortunately, the drugs were kicking in so he felt better by the end of his birthday. We stayed up all night talking and giggling. Ben’s so cute when he’s high on narcotics. :p

Right now he’s on a salt and sugar IV and is taking Quinine every eight hours. His shakey legs are starting to not be so shakey, and he says he feels great. He had a few MRIs this morning, and tomorrow he will have an MRI of the brain along with an ultrasound on his gallbladder.

Well, I haven’t slept in two days, and I suddenly feel like I’m going to crash. I think it’s time to call it a day!

Love,

Shannon

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 10:14 pm

Hey Shannon ~ sounds like a great party! We were all there in spirit ๐Ÿ˜‰ Hugs to Ben and you for being brave and ‘hanging in there’. I’m praying that you’ll get some answers soon. There are more rainbows to see together ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2006 at 7:22 pm

Thanks, Judi. He’s still in the hospital tonight. He’s been having diarrhea, so they’re waiting on the test results from that and the MRI. I hope he’s home tomorrow!

Love,
      Shannon

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2006 at 8:08 pm

Yay, Ben was just released! I’m going to get him now! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2006 at 11:17 pm

Shan,

That’s awesome, I am so happy to hear he’s coming home. Call me if you need anything, tell Ben welcome home for me.

Jer

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 3:49 am

Hi Shannon,

Yes, take him home and make sure he stays there;) . Hope you have another BIG party.

Eva

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 8:49 am

Shannon I am wishing you both the best. Hope you take care of yourself so you don’t get run down and sick.

Sue

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 9:31 am

Shan, glad to hear Ben is doing better and is home. give him my best, and big hugs. tell him to behave himself or i’ll kick @#&*!;) shan you make sure you take care of yourself also! ๐Ÿ™‚ Hugs!!!