Finally Getting Power Wheelchair

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 3:26 pm

Hi,
      I’m finally getting a power wheelchair, probably a jazzy and I’m getting it from “THE SCOOTER STORE”. I don’t know yet when it will be delivered. Since I’ve just made a move, the internist I went to is a brand new doctor who doesn’t know me yet, but the SCOOTER STORE said that he did a fantastic job at filling out the evaluation forms. They said they were amazed. I will get 100% coverage from Medicare. I’ve had CIDP for ten years now and I never got one before because I would not have fully benefited from one, but now, I live in a very large retirement community (they have 425 acres) and I’ll be able to go to the community center, the cafe, the pool with a hydralic lift, the big food store is close enough I can go there, etc., etc.

Now, I’ll have to get over my panic of getting stranded with a dead battery ๐Ÿ˜ฎ If that happened I cannot walk, I’d be totally helpless. I’ve thought of getting a flag that says “if you pass by me a second time and I’m still here, HELP”.

• September 10, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Great news Liz!!!
      If possible could you bring it to the symposium? It would be helpful. About the battery, when Kevie was little he had a power wheels jeep, we took that thing everywhere. I bought an extra battery/charger and would always bring it with for the ride back. Any possibility you could purchase an additional battery to always have with? I am sure they are a bit more pricey than the $50 the jeep battery was!!!! BTW, did you get the brochure yet?
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Ah Liz! Freedom! That chair is going to get you places! How exciting! Be sure to tell us all the stories of your “travels”!

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 12:07 am

Liz,
      I am sooo happy for you!!! And no, you will never find yourself stranded with a dead battery, so don’t even imagine that happening. I have had one for six years now & have never had a dead battery yet. I used mine all of the time from July of 2002 until I began walking in July 2004, but as you know, I only walk shorter distances even now. I give my grandson really long rides on it & the batteries last a long time. If you are worried, just plug it in every night, I plug mine in about once a week. You will absolutely love the freedom you are going to have now. I am jealous, especially of where you live, as since the day after Labor Day a cold front moved into northern Minnesota & will remain until next summer… Actually summer didn’t even begin here until the middle of July; how I envy you!
      Pam

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 6:47 am

Hey Liz,
      That’s wonderful. I am so happy for you. You will absolutely love your freedom. I can just see you buzzing along and keeping your little flag handy just in case. Tell those men to put their running shoes on because now you can catch them. ๐Ÿ˜€

Take care and have fun.

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 8:27 am

Liz,

that is awesome !

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 10:37 am

Ahhh Good News! Makes me HapHapHappy ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 11:53 am

Liz, congratulations ๐Ÿ˜€ you will love it. You shouldn’t worry about the battery too much. Since I had mine replaced I never had a problem again. I just make sure it is properly charged before I go out for a longer ride. I always take the battery charger with me. To take an extra battery along is in my opinion not a good idea. They always come in a set of two, they are awfully heavy and I would not have the faintest idea how to be replace them without the proper tools.
      You may have read my earlier stories on venturing out on my own to a nearby shopping area. It was three miles and when I came back I had enough power to spare. I must admit, I was a little nervous at first but the second time I felt a lot more confident.

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Liz Congratulations on the move and getting back on the computer. I am happy about you finding a new type of freedom with the set of wheels! Take care!

• September 11, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Liz

congrats on everything! You are so brave and I admire that. Glad you are getting the chair and will continue your indepence.
      If I had one, I would deck it out with hotrod flames and fake headers and pipes! I may not be a kid anymore, but I sure like having fun ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 5:22 pm

Hi Liz: I think you will love it. I love the scooter I just bought-what a great sense of freedom and self reliance. I can go by myself to place that previouisly I had to ask my wife to take me and I love going for long rides around a lake near by. I charge my battery every three days and so far never a problem. Its also great you got such good coverage from the insurance. Enjoy. Jeff

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 6:59 pm

MY JAZZY POWER CHAIR WAS DELIVERED TODAY. I couldn’t go out on a test drive because it rained again (does it ever stop raining in central florida?), so it’s up to me to learn. People better watch out, sweet lil innocent me used to drive her convertable with the pedal to the metal. I’ve already upped the speed around my home. Ran into the fridge, ooooops.

I don’t now if I can take it to the symposium. That would mean I’d have to find vans or taxies with wheelchair lifts at both ends of the airports, Orlando and Chicago and I’m traveling alone, who dismantles the powerchair and assembles it again.

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 1:13 am

Liz,
      I always take my manual chair when I travel on airplanes, as it folds up so nicely. But then I do have my husband to push me around. I know airlines do allow power chairs, but I think the batteries may have to be taken apart. Read up on the sight of the airline you are using; just click on passengers with disabilities.
      Pam

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 7:08 am

๐Ÿ˜€ Hi Liz! Sounds like you are really enjoying your move and getting a better life now. So happy for you that everything is working in your favor. You diserve to have fun and happiness! Can’t wait to hear how your driving it goes on your next posting~ LOL! Just stay out of the Tavern here on day’s your going out! Hugs:D