Female toileting problem

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2008 at 7:08 pm

Hello,
      Due to my weak legs I have difficulty getting up from a low toilet. I can manage if I can get my power chair into a stall and up to the toilet (not always possible.) I thought a female urinal would work but it is 34 oz capacity, a foot high, no handle, smooth surface and hard to hang onto. I had hoped for a smaller container not so big around and easier to hang onto. I recently found a web site called http://www.Disaboom.com which is for the disabled and I asked for help. Someone pointed me to a product called P-Mate. This is a disposable formed wax-coated cardboard device that can be used while standing up or even sitting in a wheelchair. Handy for hikers, campers, the military, people with hip replacement or who have difficulty with toileting, etc., or to avoid dirty toilet seats (in airplanes, etc.). Not real cost effective maybe (About $5 for pkg of 5 but I’ll pay it for the peace of mind .) Other similar products I found are TravelMate, Freshette and Whizzy.

Hope this helps someone else as I was desperate.

Mari

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2008 at 11:49 pm

I Am In A Wheel Chair. I Am Just Learning To Transfer. I’ve Had Gbs Since May 2007. I Am Going To Check Out Your Website. Thanks For Your Post. My Husband And Cargivers Are Still Assisting Me. I Have A Severe Case Of Gbs. I Pray For The Day I Can Go To The Bathroom Alone.

Tina C.
      Onset May 2007
      Ivig/7 Plasma

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2008 at 5:04 am

Thanks for sharing this! Will keep this bookmarked!

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2008 at 5:50 pm

I wish you the best Tina. Its a long hard road. I just passed year 7. I’m 68 years old. Not a full recovery but I am doing okay. No real pain to speak of. Fill my days with so much I hardly have time to scratch. Either I’m trying to make up for lost time or making sure I don’t have time to get sick again. Take care.

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2008 at 5:58 pm

By the way the Disaboom site has a list of illnesses and Guillain Barre is not on it. I’m not real good at navigating websites so I have a little trouble finding things so far on there. My short term memory problems don’t help.

The P-Mate product has a short video clip and also a diagram showing what it looks like and instructions on use. Also a section on testimonials.

Mari

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2008 at 6:28 pm

I had a problem when I had my attack on my nervous system in June. It was scary. Had spine surgery on my lower spine. After that surgery when that attack happened the top of my legs got so weak and were shaking while sitting on the toilet. I too was having problems myself trying to get up off the toilet. I know most people that have bad legs have their arms to rely on building strength in their arms. But when you have your arms bad too, that has to be hard doing. It’s great they have some things for us to use. I have trouble bending and just recently bought myself a grabbing cane. That really is a useful tool! I no longer have to bend over picking up stuff off the floor anymore. Works great when my grandchildren are visiting. And you know how babies can be. Toys get scattered everywhere! This would make a great section on placing things in here to help with disabilities.
      The Cane Grabber is also great if you are wheel chair bound. You can pick things up and be in the wheel chair at the same time. Very easy to use too!

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2008 at 7:08 pm

Thank You For You Well Wishleys. I Haven’t Been At The Web,site But Will, Check It Out Later Today.

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2008 at 7:43 pm

I use my grabber thingy often. I can usually lean down and pick some things up but when they get under a table I need the grabber. I also use the Sock-ease device to put my socks on. I have a riser on the toilet. Have to be a contortionist to wipe yourself while on that. Causes me to scrunch my ribs and hip bone together making my side sore. Rehab was an absolute disaster for me. The therapists I got didn’t know what to do with me. Resulted in a fractured leg. After that they got me AFO’s which I still wear. Knees don’t hold without them. I was taken to the hospital one night by ambulance. While there of course my nerves got my bladder going. Too shaky to use the walker I asked for a bed pan. They must have went to the store to get one! I thought I’d never hold out. Couldn’t believe a hospital wouldn’t have one available near the ER. I swore I’d take one with me the next time. Ever since I’ve been looking for some other way to handle this problem.
      Visiting Nurses got me am easy chair that raises me up so I can get back out of it. I try to keep a happy attitude and I love humor. Not that I don’t have some pretty awful days if I dare to think about the things I can no longer do. Guess really I feel lucky to have made it to over 68 years. Some don’t even get a start. Que sera sera.

Mari