Fatigue meds?

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2010 at 11:04 am

Has anyone taken any meds for fatigue, such as Provigil, Alertec? I have been struggling with this more lately and wondering if docs will prescribe these and if they help. Also, I think I had read somewhere that Provigil was expensive and that insurance companies won’t approve this.

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I do not know anything about these rx’s – my primary care dr. gives me b-12 injections when fatigue is really bad & it seems to help. The only other help is lots and lots of “down time”. Rest, sleep and more rest.

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Thanks Alma. Do you find that the fatigue goes up and down? I had gotten some of my energy back and then the last week, I can hardly keep my eyes open all day. It is frustrating.

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2010 at 5:27 pm

I’ve been taking Provigil on and off for the past two years. I can’t say it has done a whole lot about “fatigue”, but it has helped me stay mentally alert. Just don’t take it too late in the day or sleeping may be a problem. I found that out the hard way. :rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2010 at 7:31 pm

I took wellbutrin for a time, didnt feel like did much for me. Then He gave me concerta. I works great. Its a time release pill. so you have to take it early in the morning and it gives you energy all day and helps a lot with concentration.
      There are different strenghts, my insurance covers it Ijust have to pay the co-pay ($30),but i know its expensive. check with your insurance .
      I also get the B-12 inyection once a month. It helps too.

I will recomended its I think one of the best ones. It helps me a lot.

Good luck,

Rossana

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2010 at 11:09 am

[QUOTE=jessicah]Thanks Alma. Do you find that the fatigue goes up and down? I had gotten some of my energy back and then the last week, I can hardly keep my eyes open all day. It is frustrating.[/QUOTE]

Yes – my bouts with fatigue are like a roller coaster ride! Good periods vs bad periods – and this has ruled my life since 1993. giving in to it and just getting extra sleep and rest for a while is sometimes the only way to cope – but the b-12 injection series has also been a boost for me. When I was working full time I often used my lunch hour to go to my car and sleep! The other biggest boost for my energy is a visit from kids & grandkids! ๐Ÿ™‚ And when they leave – I go to bed for a week but that is genuine exhaustion – it feels different & I don’t mind that so much.

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2010 at 11:08 am

Jessicah,
      I have been exhausted the last few weeks. What I do is call friends up and see how they feel. If we are all exhausted, then I know it is something going around. There is a hedge that is blooming with these tiny white flowers and a nice fragrance. So my tiredness is allergies. I do not get most of the other allergic symptoms because I take vitamin C which keeps it away. I have been taking FOUR HOUR naps in the afternoon which tells me I am fighting something off. Perhaps this is your problem?
      Just a thought….

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Jessica –
      We must be on the same roller coaster! This past week I haven’t been able to pull it together at all. I went to bed a 7:30 on Thursday, got up at 6 with hubby and then went back to bed at 9:00 AM after hubby left for work. I woke up at 2:30 when he came home! (he is teaching summer school so has shorter hours – otherwise I’d have been asleep until 5) So, Saturday came and I went to bed at 7:30 and slept through until 8 when I had to get up to get to church by 9:30. Took a nap this afternoon. The temperature is down – only in the mid 90’s, so that’s not it – and nothing has the courage to bloom on the Arizona desert in June with average temps from 103 to 108, so there really aren’t too many things out there blooming. I see my PCP soon and will ask him about the B-12 – thanks Alma and everyone else who thinks they may work. I really don’t want any more Rx’s – I have a huge cocktail as it it. ๐Ÿ™‚
      So, Jessica, what are we going to do? Maybe we both are just far enough on our roads to recovery that we are doing too much? Are your kids school age, and therefore now out of school? In my case I know I am really pushing myself with some pretty tough coursework to add more to my teaching certifications. (brains and learning, whoo – a lot of stuff about the nervous system, nerves and how the brain learns – but very amazing, especially post GBS) Maybe we need to go back to being kinder to ourselves like in Fe/march. I dunno.
      So, I promise more naps – you do the same, okay?

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Cathie,

Sounds good, about taking more naps! ๐Ÿ™‚ But where to find the time. I think you are right about pushing it. I think we need to try to take it easy more. Sounds like things are picking up for you too. Both of my parents are teachers and a lot of my friends, so I have a lot of respect for teachers. ๐Ÿ™‚

I am trying to live my normal life, which is very busy, working full-time and taking care of my 2 little ones, 2 and 4 after work. Perhaps it is because the weather is warmer. My kids like to play outside and ride their bikes, and swing on the swings. In the winter, things were calmer and I could rest while they played. I try to sit in a chair outside and tell them, “I am not pushing you right now on the bike, etc.” but I find myself getting up constantly. I don’t want to just be sitting on the sidelines, so that makes it hard. I cooked dinner for my husband last weekend and sat on a chair in front of the stove because I knew that if I stood too long, I would pay for it later. How crazy is that, to have to do that now? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks all for the advice on the B-12 injections and the meds. This is very helpful and I am going to mention it to the doctor next time I go.

• Anonymous
      June 21, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Jessica –

I have a bar stool in my kitchen that I couldn’t live without! I wash dishes sitting on it – fix dinner on it – even get the morning coffee sitting on my bar stool. If anyone tried to take it away – well I think energy would swell up within me for the fight! ๐Ÿ™‚

Last night for father’s day dinner I split hot dogs in half, covered them with the left over mashed potatos from the night before, and smothered them with shredded cheese. Stuck them in the toaster over under the broiler and my hubby actually raved about the meal. So, we get by. And sit on our stools in the kitchen.

I am getting one for my classroom – oh, how I hope we have a great wek. Enjoy the little ones – they are so busy and wonderful when they are that age.

• Anonymous
      June 22, 2010 at 10:32 am

Jessica,

I take a timed release B-12 tablet every day. It helps a little. I have days when I am so tired I can hardly function but I just try to rest. A 30 min nap works wonders. I try to stay away from medicines because of the side effects.

• Anonymous
      June 22, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Thanks boomerbabe. I am going over to get some B12 sublingual right now to see if it helps. Any advice on when to take it if it is timed release, a.m. or p.m.?