Eye Trouble

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2007 at 11:39 pm

Hello All,

It has been some time since I have posted something. I have a question, when I 1st became ill with GBS they thought I had Bells Pose because my face was not function on one side and at that time I had trouble with one of my eyes. Lately I have been having trouble with one of my eyes it keeps twitching and I have trouble seeing have any of you ever had this problem??? Thanks so much:confused:

• August 22, 2007 at 11:58 pm

I have had problems with vision since i got sick too. Sometimes it is fine, other times my left eye feels hyper sensitive…I can feel every little movement and it feels like pressure/pain. And I swear I need a new eyeglass perscription. I dont often get twitches anymore. Hopefully someone else here is of more help.

• Anonymous
      August 23, 2007 at 6:36 am

tammie,

your cranial nerves were involved in your gbs attack, called the miller-fisher variant. more than likely you are over doing it & need big time rest lying down. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      August 23, 2007 at 7:02 am

Ditto what Gene says, my right eye twitches, throbs, gets blurry and aches if I over do things – too much reading or sunlight will also set that off. Sometimes my eye also becomes paralyzed and the iris doesn’t dialate properly either – all of these were explained to me as part of the attack on my cranial nerves. I’ve thought about a new prescription too but my eye won’t settle on a particular level so I just have to make the best of it until things calm down a little. I find that if I put a patch over the eye when it starts twitching that usually helps, it’s like my eyelid is struggling to stay open but doesn’t have the strength to either open or close so I just shut it and let the muscles recover. 😮

• Anonymous
      August 23, 2007 at 9:19 am

I also experience eye problems mostly when I am tired but not always. My issues are double vision or blurred vision. I started in May of 06 and it still hasn’t recovered. I got a new prescription in Jan 07 as I couldn’t see out of the glasses anymore and my prescription had actually improved! By the end of Feb I couldn’t wear those anymore and got a new prescription again in March. I asked my neuro and he had never heard of this happening but he said just be grateful! 😮

• Anonymous
      August 23, 2007 at 11:22 am

Tammie,

Good to see you posting again, let me know via pm or phone call how your job is going and how your mom is doing.

I think I may have told you this before, but before I was correctly diagnosed they diagnosed me with Bells Palsy (on the left side I think). I still have funny twitches now and again, im not sure if I can relate that back to GBS though. Sometimes the twitches just go on and on and on and are so irritating! My vision seems to be fine, just gets blurry sometimes, but I’m sure thats my allergies and eczema around my eyes. When tired, my left eye does droop.

• Anonymous
      August 23, 2007 at 11:54 am

Every since the initial “event” I often have what I call a flutter. First thing in the a.m. if I’m tired (more!) my eyes are like the old TVs when they signed off for the nite (ok, I’m ancient!!) that horitzontal waves stuff. It’s like my eyes/brain need some time to remember how they are suppose to work. My right side was most affected, so that eye droops. And when the twitches come, I know it’s rest flat time 😮 Oh, and yes, I’m forever thinking I need a new prescription but by the next day or to, I’m seeing fine again ~ grrrr!!

• Anonymous
      August 23, 2007 at 12:21 pm

All this sounds so familiar! Now when we are out visiting or at a long event my husband can tell I am tired, my eyes does droop. He asked if I have had enough and I know it is time to go home and rest. I had hemoraging in my eyes and they actually were sore when I touched them while washing my face I knew there was pressure in the eyeball. My eyes were wide open for the whole hospital stay and double vision. I had the slow focusing before having the MF. While in the hospital a nurse told me to request a Neurophthalmologist, which I did. He seen me twice while in the hospital and has seen me many times since I come home. Very slow results, but each time he sees improvements. I have had my reading glasses prescription changed twice since I started going to him. I get them at the dollar store so no big deal I can just donate them to the thrift store afterwards. I always make sure I get the glass lenses. Before the GBS/MF I had twitching but during it everything was paralized. Now no twitching. I did have trouble with dry eyes. The nurses used drops, again at my request. Pretty hard to request stuff when you are not able to speak. When they suggested stuff I would agree and they would forward those requests to the Doctor. I also requested warm compresses. At night I did not get the drops I got a gel that they use on coma/stroke victims that can not closer their eyes. These are times when your family member or advocate can help. Now my eyes are much better and open and close properly, not watering as much. I still do get some salt build up around the eyes and goop but that is minimal! [B]One caution that I would like to see the hospital staff do is not tilt the bed of patients that have eye problems. This puts unnecessary pressure on the eyes that can cause damage. Yes, it is nice to use those beds to slide a patient that has slid down the bed to the top again but THINK![/B] Sorry for the vent! 😡 LOL A quick tilt would be ok for the normal person, but to let someone lay there upside down while the assistant is paged to help you is a little much! Oops! Venting is brought on by Guillain Barre Syndrome! 😮
      Eyes are important so don’t let things go too long without talking to a Doctor if things persists. We tend to blame everything on GBS!

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2007 at 10:40 pm

😀 Thank you,

All for the great input it has really help, there were many things said that I had not thought of.