Eye Lash Loss???

• December 19, 2009 at 8:55 am

Well, here’s a new one. I’m planning on bringing this up with my neurologist, but my appointment is a couple of months away.

I’m losing my eyelashes on my right eye upper lid. The bottom eyelid seems fine. The tissue is maybe a little swollen and itches some times. The left eye is unaffected.

Have any of you experienced eyelash loss?

Thanks, Gary

• Anonymous
      December 19, 2009 at 11:32 pm

I have not ever heard of this as a manifestation of CIDP. Body stress including illness can cause hair loss, but it is more likely on both sides. I did a Google Scholar search and came up with two to three possibilities.

One thing discussed is endocrine problems–such as a high or low level of thyroid or diabetes and it can be on just one eye despite these being “systemic” conditions. A second is infection/inflammation along the eyelashes–often called blepharitis. Since the area is slightly swollen and itchy this seems more likely. Blepharitis usually looks like yellow crustiness along the edge of the eyelid by the eyelashes. It can be treated with very diluted baby shampoo applied with a Q-tip along the eyelids, very gently rubbing to get rid of the crusties. You can also use a washcloth, but the Q-tip works better. This is a relatively common infection and does not seem to bother the eye itself (no pink-eye/conjunctivitis). the third thing that stood out was an autoimmune “alopecia” or loss of hair, but I did not see this just of the eyelashes.

Another thing I have seen is if the eyes itch from allergies, people can rub them and often rub one side more than the other, so you could thing about it this is any part of it. Probably not.

It the eyelashes are getting really thin or noticably-to-others thin, you might want to go to see either your primary doctor or an ophthalmologist or a dermatologist. The google scholar search said that the name of the condition for loss of eyelashes is “madarosis”–this sounds angry, doesn’t it? Medical terms are so often strange.

Saying as a e-friend, your picture shows you to have handsome eyes, so I hope it is sorted through soon. WithHope

• Anonymous
      December 20, 2009 at 2:27 am

Hi Gary,
      Over the course of my illness (years) I have had hair loss on areas that were affected by my CIDP. That’s my lower legs – not a problem for a female as now I don’t have to shave them:) Also my cranial nerves (face) were affected and my eyelashes sometimes fall out or thin out, then will re-grow and also just around my hairline it will thin and then regrow (touch wood that it re-grows!). I don’t have a rash though or swelling with this and it is symmetrical. It’s quite amazing actually as the hair loss on my legs is exactly where my sensory symptoms are. My Neuro said he has heard of this happening.

Kazza

• Anonymous
      December 20, 2009 at 5:43 am

Hi Gary,
      I am on Cytoxan.
      I did not lose all my hair on my head, but about 2/3 of it.
      I lost all the hair in my airm pits, and most on my legs.
      But my eyelashes did thin out, though I did not lose all of them.
      I do have a “stupid” eyelash that grows underneath my eyelid,
      of which my doctor has to pull out by tweezers every 6 months
      or so, as it irritates the eye–just a stupid eyelash they have
      a technical name for it, (of course there is a technical name for
      EVERYTHING in the medical world).
      If I remember right, aren’t you on a chemo-type drug?
      If so–that could be what it is right there–losing hair around the
      body is one of the side effects.
      If not–dunno–but at least you don’t have to use eye-liner anymore…
      LOL…
      Ken
      (KEDASO)