Eye & Facial muscles is not responding

• Anonymous
      December 29, 2006 at 2:15 am

i got GBS attack two month back. i was totally grounded unable to lift both leg/hand & waist. Eye & facial mucles paralysed both side.after getting ivig 25gm/Day for 5 days power has started to come back. after one & half month of rehabilitation i am strated walking & now after two month i use to ride motor bike.

But still my facial muscles is not properly responding. I am unable to make smile. eye is not closing/blinking.

Can anyone help to increase my facial expresion?

Regards,
      Hindustani

• Anonymous
      December 29, 2006 at 9:18 am

hi hindustani & welcome,

regardless of the outcome [even if no reaction],TRY to make your muscles respond the way you want them to act. by doing this over & over it will speed up recovery in this area. but please remember that gbs stands for Get Better Slowly. so don’t get discouraged if nothing happens for a while. be sure you get plenty of rest. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      December 29, 2006 at 7:14 pm

Hi,

After two years I still cant smile as I once did. Thats because the nerves make new paths I guess. I can shut my eyes which I like you couldn’t do at first. I can eat without any problems. I don’t drool. So I have a lot to be thankful for! You do need to exercise those facial muscles. I had exercises
      that the speech therapist gave me in the hospital. I can’t whistle anymore and it’s hard to blow out a match but I’m better than I was.

Caroline……

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2006 at 7:31 pm

We have a forum member who is from Mombai, his name is Sandeep Ekbote and he lives in Mumbai. If you go to our member list, find Sandeeps name and you can send him a private message and Im sure he will email you back so that the two of you can talk about your experiences.

As you can see by Caroline’s response, some things take a very long time to come back. After just over 20 years, my left eye still droops when I get tired, so I think that will be with me always. Please do not be discouraged and keep on working at it.

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2006 at 7:59 pm

I had GBS Miller Fisher in July this year and was unable to open my eyes. Over a few days to weeks i gradually openend my eyes, then regained my peripheral vision. I suffered double vision and left hospital after 7 weeks still wearing an eye patch. A week after i left hospital my double vision disappeared overnight. I also suffered paralysis of my facial muscles but these too recovered gradually. At first it was just the left side but now i can barley notice any difference at all. I know i am one of the lucky ones and not everyone will have a total recovery or as fast a recovery. It really just is a waiting game.