Explanation of IVIG and Plasmapheresis

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2007 at 12:38 pm

Hey everybody~! There was a thread a while ago, a television show wanted to do a story on GBS and needed someone with GBS in the NY area. Well, it turns out I am doing the show 🙂 It is “Mystery Diagnosis”, and we’ll be filming my interview this weekend.

Just so I can be clear in my descriptions, I was hoping someone might be kind enough to post descriptions of the procedures of [B]IVIG[/B] and [B]plasmapheresis[/B]. I went through them, I just want to make sure I describe them accurately~!

Thanks so much. I’ll keep everyone updated on the TV epsiode!

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2007 at 12:51 pm

I don’t know about IVIG since they didn’t do that with nate, but I will tell you what the technician told me about PE and how it works.
      He said that PE removes the Plasma from your blood. The plasma is the water in your blood and it contains the Auto Antibodies that are literally eating the Myelin or nerve coating, causing paralysis. That’s called Demylination or removal of Myelin.
      When they remove the Plasma enough times, they feel safe that enough of the Auto Antibodies are removed to stop the progression of the Demylination.
      They put IV lines in your arm and neck, one to take the blood out and into the machine, then another to put the blood that has been mixed with Saline and Albumin back into your body. Your body then makes new Plasma.
      The machine that they use spins the blood 220 rpm’s to separate the Plasma from the red and white cells. It looked like a big bag of beer hanging over the machine when the 2 hrs was up.
      They do it in 2 hr sessions, either 10 or 12 hrs, depending on how acute the case is.
      They did nate for 12 hrs. He was also sedated so as not to move his head any.
      They destroy the Plasma that they remove since it is of no use to anyone.

Trudy, natesmom

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2007 at 10:57 pm

ivig is given in the amount of 2grams per kilo of total body weight. you should be premeded w 2 tylenol & 2 benedryl. this total amount is usually divided up into 5 equal amounts & given in 5 successive days. it can be divided in half & given in 2 days. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2007 at 2:10 am

Guppy that is Awesome!!! so you have a list of people to say HI to? just kidding!!;)
      Ivig is made up from 10,000 donors. It has a 70% chance of slowing down the progression of nerve damage. PP is cleansing the patients blood, it also has a 70% chance of success. Some Drs use a combination of both procedures, pp then ivig.

Take a deep breathe and You’ll do Great!!!!!:)

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2007 at 6:59 am

Cheryl I thought the PP washed away the IVIG. So you either take one or the other.

Sue

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2007 at 7:38 am

sue, if you get the pp before the ivig, the pp does not wash the ivig away & so you get the chance of either working for you. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2007 at 11:15 am

Your appearance on the TV show is fabulous! Please call me so we can go through the description of both IVIG and PE as well as other questions you may have. This is a wonderful opportunity to increase awareness among the lay public and healthcare professionals so you want to make sure that what you say is, in fact, true.

You can call me at 610-667-0131 or toll free at 866-224-3301. I am here everyday until about 3:30 eastern time.

You’ll have to tell everyone when the segment will run so that we can all tune in!

Barbara Katzman
      Executive Director
      GBS/CIDP Foundation International

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2007 at 1:31 pm

Thanks Gene. I was thinking IVIG first and PP second that is why.

Thanks

Sue

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2007 at 4:28 pm

That’s great! I just happened to catch that show the other day while flipping through the channels. I thought it would be really great if they did a show on GBS! Great news! At least some people will know what it is.
      Good Luck!
      Jenn