excruciating back pain

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2007 at 3:35 pm

I know this has nothing to do with my CIDP but I have been in excruciating pain for a week and a half now. My neuro says it’s sacroilitis – inflammation of the sacroiliac joint. It’s been a hell of a time for me. She gave me a nerve block last Friday which helped for several days but yesterday it was awful again. So, I called her and got another nerve block. I have a CT Scan scheduled for this pm and my neuro was able to get me into a spine and pain clinic tomorrow am. All I want is no pain anymore.:o

Thanks for listening – you’re the best support group! 🙂

Cathy

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2007 at 5:15 pm

Cathy,

Unfortunately this is such a common thing for me…. well, about twice a year. Many years ago, I would start off by going to my gp, getting a referral to the physical therapist …… hundreds in co-pays later, it would slowly start easing, along with muscle relaxants and shots. Finally, I gave up in disgust because I found out that if I didnt move :rolleyes: for a few weeks and stayed in bed with heat packs, I got the same result as if i want to PT. Fast forward to 2 years ago, I wanted someone to massage my joints and muscles, and I had always thought that that was what a PT was supposed to do (I had one PT who used to do that, use massage therapy instead of all the machines). I was moaning one day to someone at my sons school, barely able to walk or move, and she suggested a massage therapist, who I managed to find at our local hospitals wellness centre. Thank goodness i got a therapist who did believe in ‘working’ it, as not all of them do, and she works absolute MIRACLES on me. No more trying to treat the awful pain with meds that do not work, just plain relief and getting up and walking in a matter of days, not weeks.

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2007 at 5:24 pm

Forgot to mention,

Unfortunately it isnt covered by med. insurance, but I seem to spend enough on co-pays for pt, meds and docs, so it works out even in the end.

The therapist can feel where the inflamation is, and also which muscles are tight and need attention.

• September 13, 2007 at 10:03 pm

Now I really have a grand idea, first some medicinal marijuana to set the mood (pureley medicinal of course) and then a massage, maybe a cleaning lady at the house while all this is going on, and a really hot massues (spelling) Now that would get a kink out of my back!

WOW!!!
      Dawn

• September 13, 2007 at 10:09 pm

Sorry I could not resist after reading the previous thread on marijuana! Seriously, I do feel your pain, I have two herniated discs and degenerative arthritis in my coccyx (spelling) I occasionally get a set of three cortisone shots they work wonders. I hope you too can get some relief soon! Back pain is like constant labor pains with no break in between contractions! Good luck to you! Hopefully the doctors will find something to relieve the pain. We will say some prayers for you. Kevie and I have become quite the praying duo! We mention all of our caring friends most every night and ask God to help! ALL OF US!!

Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2007 at 10:29 pm

I can relate to back pain, as my back is constantly at it. It literally drives me up the wall, mine was set into motion by a rear end auto collision in 2005. I got a very nasty whiplash from a shoulder belt in the car I drive, & the jerks that hit me ran.

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2007 at 3:22 pm

Thanks for all your input and support. I visited the spine & pain center this am and had shots of kenalog deep in the si area. seems to help some but my hip/leg joint is still aching as is my right leg (outside), hen I checked out their website, they said it could be 3-5 days for the full effect! That’s too long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

I have 2 days of IVIG this weekend so I’m looking forward to have to sit for 2 days.! ARGH!:(

cAthy

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2007 at 11:51 pm

[FONT=”Book Antiqua”]I can remember when they did the IVIG on my wife Debra, they thought it would help. But literally it did no good at all, I think that the GBS did so much damage to her. It just didn’t work at all she had 5 treatments of plasma pherisis back earlier in the yr. That was also useless, I feel like the night before she passed away. She got to the point that she could not move, I believe the GBS was coming back. I still don’t know what took her life as I haven’t heard anything back on her autopsy or the toxocology results. So I’m still wondering how long that’s going to take.[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2007 at 1:59 am

Cathy,

I had two shots in the back of that kenelog, or however you say it. Several others told me that if it doesn’t work after two, you move up the food chain. I presume the muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories don’t work either.

If none of that stuff works you might have a disc that is deteriorating or damaged. I had a neurosurgeon go in and “clean it up” between L4 and L5 for me. Part of the disc had ruptured, he trimmed that part back and cleaned up the debris left over from the tear. That freed up enough room for the nerve to get out without being pinched or impeded.

My pain went away and that has been since 2002.

I hope you can find some relief. Constant pain is no fun at all.

Dick S