Exciting news for our school

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2008 at 8:07 am

Our high school just won a competition for the “Extreme Prom Extravaganza”
      I know, seems like, why would anyone care………….but the way they won it speaks volumes for the character of the kids.

One of the boys at our high school was hit by a car several month ago and was killed. His mother didn’t have enough money for his funeral so the kids gave the money they had saved for prom to his family to help pay for all costs for his funeral/headstone, etc. They had no idea how they would pay for prom as it is the responsiblity of the junior class to pay for prom. At the time, they really didn’t care about prom, they cared about their friend dying.

A few months ago they entered a contest about why your school should win the Extremem Prom Extravaganza……..they wrote an essay about their friend and what had happened. They beat out 29000 other school entered in the contest and won.

The company is paying for all decoration/food/favors and bringing in Jon McLaughlin and his band to play at prom. Everyone attending will take home some memento of the prom. The award is worth $25,000.00

I know, some of you are probably thinking how ridiculous, why didn’t they do something else with all that money, but the fact is, the company put it out there for someone to win and our school won.

The best part is that they were never thinking of anything when their friend died but how to make it easier on his family and now they have been recognized for their “character”.

My son will be going to prom as it is his senior year so it is very exciting here.

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2008 at 9:28 am

What an awesome and inspiring story… Our young generation should be applauded for their love and care of a fellow student.

Congratulations to your school and the students. I look forward to hearing how it went and what your son thought of the evening! Keep us posted!

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2008 at 10:59 am

Pep, That is just AWESOME!!! Sounds like a Great Bunch of Kids who really are getting a Great Education! I know of other schools who could learn a thing or 2 from those kids!!

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2008 at 12:13 pm

That is so cool! I hope the kids have a great time! Please post pictures so we can see the prom goers.

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2008 at 5:51 pm

Given all the horror stories we see on the news, it great to see that some of the younger generation still have a spirit of empathy and compassion.

• Anonymous
      April 13, 2008 at 1:09 am

Totally awesome!! Thanks for sharing a great story about some super kids.