Epidurals

• July 29, 2006 at 7:53 am

I’m getting closer and closer to the delivery date and I am getting very excited.
      My other deliveries were awesome…I had an epidural and felt no pain throughout the entire delivery. Not knowing I had CIDP, I did notice with my second child that it took awhile for my left foot to ‘come back’.
      I was wondering if any of the other moms with GBS or CIDP had an epidural and if you had any problems with it. I would ideally love to have another painless delivery, LOL, but wonder what to expect.
      Any info or help would be appreciated:)

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 4:01 pm

Personally, I had specific orders in my chart all three deliveries not to use an epidural, and to avoid drugs if at all possible. It didn’t make sense to me to inject a foreign body into my spinal cord to numb me after experiencing complete paralysis with GBS. Given white cells are found in the spinal fluid (as was my case) with GBS, I don’t think they know enough about how safe this use is for us. If pain is your primary concern, I found the neuropathic pain associated with GBS (for which there weren’t drugs or treatments when I first came down with it 30 years ago) much worse than the discomforts of labor. Natural child birth methods can do a lot to augment the discomforts and there are other methods used by obstetricians to handle these discomforts other than an epidural. Best luck with your decision-making process and with the delivery. Please follow up with an announcement when the little one makes its appearance.

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2006 at 6:54 pm

Mary,

Both my children were born after GBS. For my first child I was knocked out as I needed an emergancy C section. I elected to have an epidural or spinal block when my second was born because they said I was far too narrow to give natural birth. I just cant remember if it was an epidural or spinal block I had, well, whatever it was, it turned out to be far better than I had thought it would be. I didnt notice anything strange, but then I didnt know what I do now. Only problem was I threw up during the whole thing, which they said happens often. 😮

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2006 at 2:23 pm

I had GBS 8 years ago while pregnant with my second child. I was diagnosed when I was 10 weeks pregnant and was still very much recovering when I delivered. I had an epidural with no problems. I had a high risk OB/Gyn who was familiar with GBS as well as my anesthesiologist (sp?). The anesthesiologist hung around with me for a while after inserting the epidural just to make sure I didn’t have any wierd reactions. Perfectly normal delivery, baby, and I recovered very quickly once the baby was born. Today she is a perfectly healthy 7 year old.

Just make sure your doctors are totally aware of your situation and familiar with GBS/CIDP – so many really don’t understand what it is.

Good luck! Diana

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2006 at 4:26 pm

Mary

I had two surgeries with epidurals since GBS. In both cases pulmonologist did not want me to have general anasthestia and this was best option. There were no negative reactions afterward.

Love,
      Auntie M

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2006 at 9:41 am

Mary,

I had an epidural with my first child after GBS and a spinal block with my second child, had no problems. I delivered by c-section both times though, the only problem I had was vomitting thru it. Good Luck with your delivery and don’t stress out about it. Stress adds a whole lot of different problems to the mix you already have. Take Care!

• September 15, 2006 at 8:45 pm

Thanks for the input.
      I met with the anesthesiologist yesterday and she was well-prepared. She had not heard of the illness but researched it before our consultation. She feels an epideral will not affect my illness and will be on call that day and administer it herself.

She even gave me her cell and home number in case I had any questions. She worked at NorthWestern and said anything she couldn’t answer, she would find someone who could. Amazing to find such a caring doc…especially an anesthesiologist who seems more concerned/educated (about CIDP) than my OB/GYN.