Emily wants to get her ears pierced…advice wanted

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Emily has decided she wants to get her ears pierced before school starts. Originally my husband & I said she could get it done at 12 years old. But I’m reconsidering that. I’m thinking it will be part of her birthday present from us.

Problem is I’m not thrilled with the idea of taking her to a place like Claire’s or to a mall kiosk to have it done. I don’t want someone who only had to watch a video & practice a few times on a fake ear anywhere near my baby’s ears. I don’t know how sanitary that is either. Ya’ll should know by now that I have become a germaphobe when it comes to Emily. We’ve already dealt with 1 awful infection (in the Broviac) & I do NOT want to go through that again!

I’ve been doing some research & apparently the way to go is to have a professional piercer pierce her ears. Problem with that is professional piercers work in tattoo shops & I’m having trouble finding one who will pierce her ears because of her age.

Tattoo shops have to meet very strict sterilization requirements…which makes me feel more at ease about this.

Has anyone heard anything about people with CIDP getting their ears pierced? Is there anything I need to worry about?

Any great stories about Claire’s (or mall kiosk) ears piercers? Any horror stories either?

I know when I was a kid my ears kept getting infected because I just wasn’t old enough to understand the responsibility of having them. I feel that Emily is & I know how badly she just wants to fit in. I realize that’s generally not a good reason to let her put holes in her body but she knows she’s not like everyone else because of her CIDP. I just want her to be able to feel normal…for once in her life.

Thanks,
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2009 at 2:20 pm

My pediatrician’s office pierces ears. I believe that is common now. dont put it in the hands of a teenager at the mall. good luck.

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I called the pediatricians office. They don’t do it. They recommended the mall…UGH!

I will definetly NOT be relying on some kid at the mall to do this!

Thanks,
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2009 at 5:28 pm

You might try the jewelry dept in an upper-end department store. I worked in one years ago and they were pretty careful and usually older sales associates. Dont blame you for your worry. Regina

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Kelly, I believe your idea about taking her to a tattoo studio is a good one, if you’re careful in your choice of establishments. Even though all studios must meet state hygiene requirements, some studios excel in that area. Find one of those and you should be fine.

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2009 at 11:46 pm

Hi Kelly,

My brother was a registered nurse and also did piercings in a tatoo shop. He had to go thru a lot of stuff to do this and it was extremely steril. Most shops will pierce ears if you sign a waiver. Usually have to provide a birth certificate and some other things.

I would check out a few more and see if they will do it.

Take care and good luck.

p.s. I would like to get mine done for a second hole but am a big chicken. So tell emily I’m excited for her.

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2009 at 12:25 am

Thanks all!

Rod – Of course I would make sure I was taking Emily into an appropriate tattoo shop. Emily thinks the worst bad word is “shut up”…so I’mcertainly going to check out any shop I take her to.

Regina – Thanks for the advice. I’ll check into it.

Stormy – I put a call into a friend who knows people that own a tattoo parlor. She’s going to see if they will consider doing Emily’s ears. I had my ears re-done at around 12 & it didn’t hurt that bad. I’ve been watching YouTube videos with Emily of little girls getting their ears pierced & most of them don’t even flinch.

Thanks again!
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2009 at 12:36 am

I am not that concerned about her getting them done initially, but it’s what might happen in the long run. My daughter first had her ears pierced in junior high, but they kept getting infections, even though she was super careful about cleaning them every night with the alcohol. Then she had them redone in college, & the same thing happened, even though she only would wear the studs. Last year she had them done again (she is 33 now) & the same thing happened again, so she gave up. I went through the same problem, only I gave up after the first time. I know so many women who can only wear the studs, or very expensive earrings. But I do hope she can wear them well…

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2009 at 12:51 am

Pam – The research I did on ear piercings says you should use titanium. If you use gold it should be 18 karats or more. Also studs aren’t really recommended although they are the most common. Apparently small hoops are the way to go especially for 1st earrings because they have to be in the ear for so long. Studs sit too close to the ear & allow for infections. With hoops nothing is against the ear & it can breathe.

It really was quite fascinating to read all of this info. I read things I would have never thought about.

Kelly

• August 5, 2009 at 11:47 am

Bring her over to me, I am sure I still have my old macrame T pin. We’ll numb her up with some ice, give her some mogan David and bam!!! Just kidding, thats what my friend and I did in middle school, back when you would put 5 hole in one ear. Man I was a whack job. I will call you later!
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Was ???? 😀

good luck Kelly…

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2009 at 1:50 pm

yeah I pierced my ear in class once. just jammed an unsterile saftey pin through my ear lob. it seemed like the punk rock thing to do and it got a great reaction from the rest of the class. hmm why didnt the teacher try to stop me. lol I didnt get my youngests ears pieced because I didnt know there were more sterile options than the mall. parenting changes you. but no wonder my immune system is hyper vigiliant.