Emily is now a 2nd grader!

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 9:37 am

Today is Emily’s first day of 2nd grade. She woke up at 6:30am today, came into my room & said “Mom, hurry up! I’m going to be late for school!”. Then she proceeded to give me time updates every 5 minutes. We ended up being 30 minutes early to school this morning.

Emily is in a 2/3 split class this year. There are 13 2nd graders & 10 3rd graders. They picked the smartest 1st & 2nd graders from last year for this class. She’s going to learn 2nd & 3rd grade science & social studies!
      She’s very excited about that because she LOVES science & for 3rd grade social studies they get to study the presidential candidates & the school holds a mock election with 3rd, 4th & 5th graders. But since they have a 2/3 split the 2nd graders get to vote as well.

She has a real desk this year. Last year they just had round tables but this year she has a desk that lifts up & everything. She’s so excited about that. She’s sitting with 3 other girls (the desks are in groups of 4) – that was all my doing. Emily usually only plays with boys & I’m trying to get her to expand her horizons & spend some more time with the girls. I hope it goes well today. I’m worried about her fitting in. Girls can be so mean.

Because my husband works at the school Emily already knew her teacher. She’s very nice & understands that Emily may have some special needs, like eating 5000 times a day, LOL. Emily usually eats every 2-3 hours – just small snacks. If she goes longer than that she gets a stomach ache. The teacher told her to just keep her snacks in her desk & eat them whenever she wants.

Here are some pics of Emily from this morning. NOTE: She’s not happy that I’m taking pics of her. Apparently she’s getting too old for that.

This 1st pic was taken in front of Emily’s flower garden at our house.

[IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb45/kelgrace/Emilyfirstdayof2ndgrade9-2-08002-1.jpg[/IMG]

This pic was taken in her classroom. She was NOT happy with me when I took this one. I had to bribe her!

[IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb45/kelgrace/Emilyfirstdayof2ndgrade9-2-08003-2.jpg[/IMG]

Hope everyone’s kids have a great first day of school (for those who started today!)

Kelly

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 10:15 am

I hope Emily has a great day. Being in a split class is good when you are the younger of the 2. You get to hear all the classes for the older kids so when its your turn its just a review. Can’t wait to hear her views on the presidential election. Maybe you could post her perspective! You did well with the picture. I didn’t get mine this year. Its the first year I have missed sinced kindergarten. I have a junior and senior and I couldn’t bribe them anymore! I threatened that I will still get them them when they get home today since they wouldn’t cooperate this morning so we will see! Hope its a good year for Emily!

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 10:35 am

Hey Jan –

How in the heck did you manage to bribe them this long?!?!?! I have a feeling Emily is going to hide my camera for the 1st day of school next year.

Emily was in a split class last year too – it was a 1st/2nd grade split though. We think she’ll be in one every year because they don’t have enough kids in her grade to make 2 fulls & I guess the grade ahead has a small group as well.

I’m glad she’s being taught up because she is truly a very smart person but I worry about her socially. She’s a young 2nd grader (she’ll be 7 next week) and she’s around 3rd graders who are going to be turning 9 this year. I’m certain she’s going to be exposed to some rather interesting things this year.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 10:43 am

What a beauty and smart too! Good thing you got her away from those darn boys! HaHa! Hope she has a great day. My kids let me take their pix the first day of school each year, only inside the house and only thru middle school 🙂
      Thanks for sharing, brought back some nice memories!

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 11:42 am

Kelly

Thanks for sharing those cute pictures!

I have a teenager…I almost had to bribe him to go to school.

He was really excited when I woke him up with his favorite breakfast, then he realized I only did it cause it is his first day of school!:)

Enjoy the day

Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 11:56 am

Kelly,

Emily is beautiful! Gorgeous pics. I hope things went well today and she will find some girls she can relate too. I was like her. I had more in common with the guys than I did the girls!:D

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 11:59 am

Thanks for the update, kelly, and the pictures. She is really cute. Glad to hear she is doing well. I forgot how self-conscious little kids can be. Our 3-year old grand-daughter still loves to pose for pictures but some day this might change, too.

Take care

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 12:17 pm

Great pictures of Emily! I have a 13 and 15 year old and they still tolerate me taking pictures of them on the first day. I do it on the front steps well before everyone comes to the bus stop, try to minimize the embarassment. I always tell them I’ll be scrapbooking for them thru senior year and I have to have a first day of school picture! They don’t get a choice.

Sounds like she’ll do great in a split class, my sister is a teacher and she said they usually put the better behaved kids in split classes as well, to make it a little easier on the teacher. So I’m sure she’ll have a great year! Second grade was one of my favorites for my kids!

Keep Smiling!

Marjie

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Kelly, Emily is such a Beautiful Young Lady!!! Nice Captures!!!:)
      Boy that split stuff reminds me of when I was young:eek: we had 5th/6th split, and I Had to sit with girls too!;) I always played football, baseball basketball etc with the guys anyways. My parents worked in the system also, what a drag!!;)
      I think its Great you are able to get shots of Emily each year, my kids would never allow me to do that-plus I would forget!
      Give Emily a Huge Hug for me, and I hope You can get some Me-Time now. Take Care.

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 2:45 pm

Hi Kelly,
      Emily is just beautiful..Tell her I said congratulations and show those 3rd graders how it’s done. I know all about pictures. My son and I took my daughter, alyssa, to the armory this morning because she was activated yesterday for hurricane relief, naturally I took my camera with me and was going to take a picture and she was like..no way mom,put the camera away. It was all I could do to get a hug from her. LOL. Then to top it all my son , who is still not happy with college, tells me that he is thinking about joining the military so I just threw my hands up in the air and drove straight to the recruiters office. For the next three hours we met with the Marines, then the Air Force and then the Navy. He is actually considering joining the Navy. Heaven help me I’ve lost control.:D

Enjoy those pictures for now.

• September 2, 2008 at 4:59 pm

Emily looks so cute!
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 8:51 am

Smart AND pretty ! Many reasons to be the proud mama that you are.
      SO glad she’s doing so well.

Thanks for sharing !

Stacey

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 10:51 am

Emily is a very pretty girl. Hope she keeps doing good. Get those pictures to always treasure and keep sharing them with us.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 12:19 pm

Kelly your little girl Emily is just charming to look at. Thanks for posting the photos and the update.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Thanks all!

Emily is having a bit of trouble adjusting to school – same thing happened last year. She loves it but it’s a long day & it’s hard on her.

She called me this morning around 11am saying her stomach hurt. That’s code for she just needed to talk to me. She said that she was nervous but wasn’t sure why. I talked to her for a few minutes & then she decided she needed to get off the phone & go back to class because they were going to play a game.

Last year I gave her the first 2 weeks to adjust & let her know she could call me if she needed to. I’m hoping she’ll be fine by the end of the week. It’s always been a hard adjustment for her though. She’s a creature of habit – just like her mom. I don’t do well with change either – even when it’s something that I want & am excited about.

Kelly (missing my girl just as much as she’s missing me)

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 2:20 pm

Hey Kelly,

It’s tough when the kids have a hard time adjusting. Good for you for figuring out a code so that Emily could get her reassurance and then move on with her day. Enjoy this closeness. They get to be teenagers and some times distance themselves and never let us into their world! 😮

Take care,

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Hey Kelly, so glad you have that special bond with Emily. While I was reading today’s update, I was thinking the same as Janet, I hope you can hold onto that. Sometimes day to day living makes you forget how special that is until they are grown and out of the house. No matter what I always tried to let my kids know that I am in their corner (if I’m not who will be?:D). If they need an excuse to do or not to do something, I’m it. It worked. I’ve two wonderful kids, daughter 27 is a physicians assistant and son is 22 and a computer tech with the county. I usually hear from them every day and we get together once a week for family dinner. So enjoy every minute you can with sweet Emily as long as she’ll let you.
      Denise

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 5:40 pm

🙂 Hi Kelly,

Ive got a 2nd and 3rd grader…, so understand how excited and sometimes overwhelmed the school stuff can be.. If I read your post correctly your husband works there? That can be a big plus I would think, as far as knowing how your child is doing… Remember all the other 20 some kids are adjusting too! Take care, 2008/09 is going to be a great year..

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 1:05 am

Jan & Smiley – Thanks for the kind words. My mother made me feel like I was doing something wrong with letting Emily call home. I remember what it was like to be so young & overwhelmed at school. I wish I would have felt that I could call my mom – just to get some reassurance. I think people forget that Emily is still 6 (will be 7 on Sept 9th though) but she’s in a class with 8 & 9 year old kids too (those are the 3rd graders). It’s a lot of pressure on her.

Deanop – My husband works afternoons at the school so he doesn’t really get to see Emily. It would be nice if he could be there during the day though. I’m actually trying to get a job working as a lunch aid at the school so that way I can be in the building if Emily needs anything.

Emily does get special treatment because her dad works there & because everyone has known her since she was about 3 years old. They all know about her health issues & all the teachers look out for her. It really is a great supportive environment for her.

By the end of the day all of the kids are just drained. You can see it on their faces. The first few weeks are hard on everyone – even the teachers. It’s a big adjustment for everyone.

I’m going to bribe Emily with ice cream tomorrow to not call home. I did the same thing last year & it worked. That child will do almost anything for some ice cream.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 1:13 am

awwww!!! what a cutie!!! i like the look she has in the 2nd picture, like that “hurry up and get this overwith” look. what a sweetheart:p

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 8:15 am

Kelly,

I think it’s great that she can call you for reassurance. Sometimes they just need that. She’ll continue to adjust and wont have to call…even without the ice cream. :p

Since Connor has started kindergarten, he doesnt want to hold my hand as much especially around school. I can understand how they may not be cool for a boy. But, I cant let go yet. I tell him to please hold my hand b/c that helps me walk. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesnt.

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 10:27 am

Kelly,
      Treasure these times. You have a bright and courageous child. Before you know it she will be in high school then off to work or college. Someone told me that a long time ago. Turns out he was right. Keep you camera handy to capture these moments. It seem like only yesterday Patty was diagnosed as deaf [3 months old]. Now she has graduated from college, started teaching and in her spare time earned a master degree.

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2008 at 8:37 pm

Kelly,

She is so cute. I am so happy she has started school. I am sure there will be an adjustment period for both of you for awhile. Tell her I am proud of her, she is way stronger then I would be.

Jerimy