Emily had her port removed last Friday

• Anonymous
      May 4, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I just wanted to update & share some info.

Emily had her port removed April 29th @ Children’s Hospital in MI. Let me tell you, it was a GREAT experience. I HIGHLY recommend this hospital should anyone need it. They took fantastic care of us & were really great with Emily.

We met with Dr. Michael Klein right before Emily’s surgery. We discussed the concerns about her port getting stuck because she had it for 4 years 7 months. We decided, if it was stuck, that he would make a small incision at her neck to see if he could loosen it from there. If he was unsuccessful he would detach the actual port & leave the catheter in. We could then make the decision, at a later date, to leave the catheter in forever or to go to a cardiac surgeon to have it removed.

Apparently the cardiac surgeon can go into the vein with a sheath that goes over the catheter. The sheath will attach itself to the catheter & then the cardiac surgeon can pull the catheter out. The procedure is done under general anesthesia for children. I’m not sure if they would do it under twilight for adults.

There was a recent study suggesting it was perfectly safe to leave the catheter in the blood vessel forever without any negative effects.

The surgeon did not need to do those things as the port came out. He did have to cut some of the muscle that attached itself to the port & he did have to tug a bit to get it to come out. But it came out & Emily was in & out of surgery in 20 minutes.

She spent an hour in the 1st recovery room & then we were called back into another recovery room where we spent another hour with her. She came out of anesthesia just fine (she has been a thrasher in the past & the anesthesiologist assured me he would give her something to help with that). She didn’t even cry!

When she was brought to us she was sitting up in bed & eating a popsicle. We sat with her for an hour & then she was released to come home.

Her incision was closed up with dissolvable stitches & covered up with 3 steri-strips.

Emily has been just fine since then! She was running around in the house 3 hours after getting home.

Kelly

• May 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm

so great Kelly, so happy for you too

enjoy life:)

• Anonymous
      May 4, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Kelly,

I’m so glad to hear that things went well for Emily. Wonderful news!!!

Take care,

Tina

• Anonymous
      May 4, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Great News Kelly 🙂 always keep us posted.

Sue

• Anonymous
      May 5, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Awesome Kelly…I am so glad that it went smoothly for you. I have been through surgery with my son several times and it is VERY stressful and the experience with the docs and the hospital makes all the difference. Children are so resilient, aren’t they? My son had a scope recently and same thing, he was eating and playing just hours after. Amazing!! So glad it went well for you.

• Anonymous
      May 5, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Emily IS amazing too! Such a brave lady!
      I sure wish that I’d get a popsicle after some outpatient surgeries myself!
      So, she’s doubly lucky!

• Anonymous
      May 5, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Yay Emily! I am so glad Kelly. God Bless sweet Emily.
      Laurel