EMG Scheduled – What can I expect?

• Anonymous
      November 27, 2007 at 1:32 pm

I’m having a consult with a new Neuro on Thursday, an EMG Bilateral the following week.

I’m a little nervous about what I can expect.

If nothing much shows there (they’re only doing the lower half since they know I have spinal damage on top), then what?

I realize my problems, compared to everyone elses, are so minimal, and I just want to send out kudos for the courage I hear from each of you every day.

• Anonymous
      November 27, 2007 at 10:16 pm

cyn,

make sure they do the ncv part of the emg recording both the f & m waves. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      November 28, 2007 at 12:09 am

Does it hurt bad? How many needles can I expect? I’m totally in the dark about it, and hate needles.

• Anonymous
      November 28, 2007 at 5:40 am

cyn,

if they truly know you have gbs, the emg, that’s the needle part does not have to be done. the ncv gives you shocks from mild to a few quite noticeable. think of other things. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      November 28, 2007 at 7:53 am

Cyn I am going for an NCV today to see whether I am going into a relapse. I had it done many times and yes it stings but it doesn’t last long. Each stings last a few seconds. I don’t thing they will do the muscle thing because most of the time they feel why bother unless my CIDP really got worse they might.

Sue

• Anonymous
      November 28, 2007 at 8:27 am

Hi, I had that done yesterday. They had to do the electrical part twice, cause they at first couldn’t track a response. turns out those f or m waves were really slow…..It didn’t hurt too bad..its not fun, but keep your mind on happy thoughts, it helped for me to talk to the gal during it…I had the needles to..not to bad either..you will get thru it, stay focused on thje big picture..My thing is I would like to have some one explain a prognosis for me, as I guess I have severe nerve damage (i postede my gbs story got it 10/07…good luck

• Anonymous
      November 29, 2007 at 9:28 pm

I had my Nerve test yesterday and the needle in my muscles of my right thigh and right my shoulder and right arm. My nerve test showed that I did improve since having my IVIG this past summer. The needle in the muscle showed that the one done on my thigh the muscle kept twitching and it wouldn’t stop. She decide that maybe I can improve more since I am still having problems with my hands thighs and shoulders and back. I don’t think they are all CIDP related but we will wait and see.
      She is ordering 3 more days of IVIG. Not sure when it will happen because of the holidays. It will still be in Ottawa. It will only cost me to get there and to get a room for 2 nights at the non-profit motel for people who need the hospital or visiting people in the hospital. I will loose 3 days of work if not more depending how I feel but being in Canada the IVIG is free.

Will let everyone know when it will happen.

Sue

• Anonymous
      November 30, 2007 at 7:28 am

got my bill for my ivg in the hospital 5 bags approx $40000!!! I think insurance will pay most, but wow, is it expensive..deanop

• Anonymous
      November 30, 2007 at 4:06 pm

Wow it is expansive. Mines was in a bottle a small bottle of 5 grams and the bigger bottle of 20grams for 5 days. This time I don’t know how many gram for my 3 days.
      I thank God I don’t have to pay a penny.

Sue

• Anonymous
      November 30, 2007 at 10:35 pm

Cyn, I have had both of them done. It all depends on how bad the damage is in my opion. I have really bad nerve damage so I really don’t feel anything. They can shock either arm and my fingers dont move on the carpal or ulnar. So they up the shock factor and still nothing. My Emg’s show NR or no responce in volicity. I have been stuck everywhere in the arms, legs and back. Don’t be scared of pain if possible. Take care.

• Anonymous
      December 2, 2007 at 5:22 am

I’m just disgusted. The neuro said “well, if this was your GBS, you would have had residuals since it happened, you probably have fibromyalgia”.

I tried to tell him that’s exactly what has happened, but he ignored it.

I’m sick of the situation being ignored.

I’m ready to cancel the EMG, I’m sick of people telling me it isn’t from the GBS, even my ex who doesn’t trust doctors, knows where this all started.

Apparently its normal for people to get paralyzed from Mono.

I’m just done with this.