emg results of right hand and arm

• Anonymous
      December 16, 2008 at 3:36 pm

I had this done on 12-9-8

Sensory of the right ulnar stimulating the little finger- no repsonse recorded
      Sensory of the right median at palm-no response recorded
      Sensory of the right median at the index finger-no resposne recorded.

The motor of the right median and ulnar at the elbow wrist is very low. 7 to 10.8 when the normal range m/sec is 45-75.

he said-
      “abnormal study of the right upper extremity. The emg evidence is most consistant with a longstanding length dependent neuropathic process with demyelinating features. There is evidence of AXONAL loss which may be secondary to a primarily demyelinating process. No evidence of a distinct median neuropathy. Clinical correlation is needed.”

He did the emg to rule out carpel tunnel.

his note to my other dr’s also includes this –
      “Stacey has chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoplexus neuropathy. She has had very slow progression since summer of 2006. I explained the goal is to arrest progression or slow it down. Improvement may not be expected but would be a blessing if it were to occur.”

Alot of other stuff is said, but this is the jist of it. Please tell me your thoughts regarding axonal loss.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      December 16, 2008 at 7:44 pm

Hi Stacey,
      My husband has significant axonal loss in his right hand. Initially he was diagnosed with carpal tunnel and had surgery. After major wasting and loss of use of his right hand (couldn’t hold utensils or a coffee cup) he was diagnosed with CIDP. He still has major atrophy/wasting of the right hand, but IVIG has restored about 60-70% of his strength in the hand. About 3 weeks ago I started doing passive range of motion and tendon gliding exercises with the hopes of building a little muscle. His thenar muscle is non existent. We think we are starting to see a little muscle happening with the exercises. The neuro. thinks due to axonal loss he will be unlikely to obtain normal function, but we want to prove her wrong . We’ve got three months until his next appt. to impress her.
      Laurel

• December 17, 2008 at 11:22 am

Stacey Girl!!!
      Don’t be discouraged. Lets just get this ball rolling. This should be the lightbulb moment of the century for your doc to do the loading doses for a few MONTHS to get this cidp process STOPPED. Thenhe can maintain the stability through maint. doses. The report is conclusive that the process is present, happening, NOW! Obviously the current treatment plan has not halted or stopped anything. Were there any tests of your legs done? the way I see it, the neuro doing the test was your gift from God and now we have to get your neuro to see the light, LOADING DOSES FOR A WHILE. Is it possible that the administering neuro could talk to your neuro? Could he see you. He seems wonderfully comapssionate and knowledgeable. Could you call HIS office, talk to him, be open cry if you have to and get him to convince your doc? I feel that although the report may be something other than what you wanted to hear, it may be exactly WHAT you needed to hear to prove to your neuro times a wastin. Can I come to your next doc appointment and shake that guy up? I really will if you want me to, I mean it!!!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      December 17, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Well at least now you know what it is and maybe this is a wake-up call for both you and your doctor. It’s time to step up the pace and treat Stacey like she is sick, OK? So take your medicine, use your cane and don’t let the doc get away with being complacent, or yourself either. Don’t let this disease get the better of you Stacey!