effects of stopping neurontin

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2006 at 9:58 am

Does anyone have experience in stopping neurontin? The doctor changed our med from neurontin 4oomg a day to cymbalta. she stopped neurontin ,cold turkey, and took about 2 doses of the cymbalta and has had stomach ache ever since. I cant seem to keep her in school ( 7th grade) the school keeps calling me to pick her up. she has missed 5 days of school. after the two doses of cymbalta I stopped it because I didnt want anything upsetting her stomach. We took her to the doctor friday and she drew blood ( just a complete blood count and renal panal and everything came back normal) I dont know if this is med related, anyone have any similar experiences???:confused:

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2006 at 10:47 am

why did the doc change meds? 400 mg of neurontin is not near enough. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2006 at 11:51 am

opps I was thinking the neurontin was 100mg capsules but they are 300 mg capsules so it is 1200 mg of neurontin that she was taking.

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2006 at 2:19 pm

[QUOTE=donettiwanek]Does anyone have experience in stopping neurontin? The doctor changed our med from neurontin 4oomg a day to cymbalta. she stopped neurontin ,cold turkey, and took about 2 doses of the cymbalta and has had stomach ache ever since. I cant seem to keep her in school ( 7th grade) the school keeps calling me to pick her up. she has missed 5 days of school. after the two doses of cymbalta I stopped it because I didnt want anything upsetting her stomach. We took her to the doctor friday and she drew blood ( just a complete blood count and renal panal and everything came back normal) I dont know if this is med related, anyone have any similar experiences???:confused:[/QUOTE]
      I tried to go off the neurontin and use cymbalta with poor results. I had stomach problems and felt like I was burning from the inside. Like sunburn and was really tired. also lots of trips to the bathroom for kidneys to unload. I tried it for 2 days and just could not tolerate it. I went back to a larger dose of neurontin and I got okay. Many have had good results with cymbalta, but not for me.

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2006 at 4:47 pm

how long did your stomach problems last?

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2006 at 5:34 pm

as with all meds, don’t stop cold turkey, decrease slowly over at least a 10 day period. although stopping neurontin might not cause alot of bad sideeffects, you really can’t rule that out as a problem. i have stooped it cold turkey, and was changed to lyrica the very same day-which gave me a really bad headache, and the lyrica didn’t work as well for me as neurontin- so i went back on it within a week. i do miss the neurontin when i’m not on it, i take 2100 a day for the most part. if there is break thru pain, then ask to raise the dose of neurontin, it is non-addictive. if your daughter was put on an anti-depressant i would be more cautious with the side effects of a drug like cymbalta on a teen or young person. thats why there are black box warnings on anti-depressants.

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2006 at 7:49 am

I am like Gene……”why stop the Neuronton??”. I would put her back on it, and possibly increase the dosage.

Perry

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2006 at 5:02 am

I stopped Neurontin cold turkey and didn’t have any negative effects that I know of. I stopped because I was actually starting to feel more pain than when I was on it. Doc was surprised but different strokes for different folks. Thankfully after 9 months of this BS I’m only taking Norco as needed for pain, Effexir for my head and atenelol so my heart stays in my chest.

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2006 at 8:30 am

hey jever, glad to see you on again. hope things are good with you. take care.:)