e-stim specific for foot drop part two

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2008 at 8:02 am

Last night I went back to PT to try his new toy. E-stim just for foot drop.
      He said, first I want to show you on your arm so that you will know what to expect with your leg. He attached it to my arm and explained that he had done this to himself and started moving involuntarily at 19. He ramped me to over 30 and nothing. Nada.
      So, he hooked up the legs. Ramped over fifty. Nothing. I felt the zing for sure but there was no “action potential” on either leg or the left arm. My right arm, however at high ramp did move a bit but not like it should. He told me that he was very surprised that my hands werent “dropped”. He said, “what is with you girl ?” I told him, I have severe demylenation. I asked if we could keep trying and he said probably not b/c the ramp he’s going to will eventually burn my skin.

So, after crying all the way home and feeling like crap last night, I realize today is a new day and I have my appt with the aggressive Dr.

I’m seeing for the first time in two years that I cannot be in denial anymore. If I dont do something, how long until I cant use my hands ? I dont want to find out.

I’m praying for strength.

The aggressive Dr has an EMG scheduled to figure out what’s up with the hand issues lately. I have to tell him I’ve gone for the second opinion which by doing so, I think I’ve really screwed myself. If I’d have stuck with him, I wouldnt have been getting such small doses of IVIG and maybe the e-stim could have worked. Maybe I’d be better.

No need for all the what if’s…it’s too late. I have to just go forward from here.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2008 at 7:13 pm

Stacey, you are right! “What ifs” don’t help. Today IS/WAS a new day — so how did your appointment go? First of all I want to say that I think EVERYONE has a RIGHT to seek a second opinion if you feel like you are not getting the care you need. You should not feel guilty about that. I hope that you find the answers you are looking for and that a treatment plan can be developed to get you where you need to be. I’ll be saying prayers for strength and patience for you! Hang in there girl!

• December 9, 2008 at 10:33 pm

Good attitude woman!!!! I admire your stregnth, I know this doc will help. If he gives you slack about the other doc, give him the same line you just wrote. Heck, give him tears if you have too!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      December 10, 2008 at 8:00 am

Hang in there Stacey – trust me you really don’t want them to turn it up high enough to burn your skin, I still have a scar two years later. As for the second opinion, it’s your body – you did what you thought was best, it didn’t work out, so now you move on. I understand your reluctance to face this, remember my nickname used to be Cleopatra Queen of DeNile (Denial)? But in the long run it doesn’t do you any good, as you know, to deny yourself treatment and lose function. I am really glad this doctor is following up on your hands with the EMG, I certainly hope it’s not demyelination but it’s better to know than wonder.

Keep your chin up, at least your smile still works! 😀

Julie

• Anonymous
      December 10, 2008 at 8:21 am

Thanks guys. I faced my fear and saw him. He’s upping my IVIG…I put it all in another thread…”back in the hands of the right dr.”

Julie denial is not easy to overcome ! yikes. what’s it gonna take for me?????
      I know…and I’m really getting better with it. The denial that is.

As for e-stim…he told me not to bother with it anymore. It just isnt going to work for me. I’ll stay with PT…anything is better than nothing. We have a stationary bike at home…I’m gonna get my big butt on that every night…even if it doesnt help my legs, it will be a bit of cardio.

thanks to everyone for all of your support !

Stacey