Dumb Laws

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2007 at 12:52 am

[B][COLOR=red]Dumb South Carolina Laws[/COLOR][/B]
      [COLOR=red][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]It is a capital offense to inadvertently kill someone while attempting suicide. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]Every adult male must bring a rifle to church on Sunday in order to ward off Indian attacks. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]It is perfectly legal to beat your wife on the court house steps on Sundays. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]When approaching a four way or blind intersection in a non-horse driven vehicle you must stop 100 ft from the intersection and discharge a firearm into the air to warn horse traffic. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]It is illegal to sell any alcoholic beverages on Sunday, unless you own a private club. (Repealed November 2000) [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]Horses may not be kept in bathtubs. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]It is considered an offense to get a tattoo. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]Performing a U-turn within 1,000 feet of an intersection is illegal. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]Musical instruments may not be sold on Sunday. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]No work may be done on Sunday. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]An exception to the above law is that light bulbs may be sold. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]All schools must prepare a suitable program for Francis Willard Day. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]Dance halls may not operate on Sundays. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]Merchandise may not be sold within a half mile of a church unless fruit is being sold. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]Fortune tellers are required to obtain a special permit from the state. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]A railroad my not remove itself from a town of more than five hundred people. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]Railroad companies may be held liable in some instances for scaring horses. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]By law, if a man promises to marry an unmarried woman, the marriage must take place. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]It is illegal to communicate with a woman using obscene messages. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]It is illegal to display a confederate flag on a courthouse. [/COLOR]
      [FONT=tohama, tohama, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2][COLOR=red]It is perfectly legal to beat your wife on the court house steps on Sundays. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=tohama, tohama, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2][COLOR=red]It is illegal to give or receive oral sex in South Carolina. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[B][COLOR=red]Charleston [/COLOR][/B]
      [COLOR=red][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]It is against the law to drive a motorized vehicle on King Street. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]The Fire Department may blow up your house. This law was made so that the fire department could create a fire brake. [B]Fountain Inn [/B][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]Horses are to wear pants at all times. [/COLOR]
      [B][COLOR=red]Lancaster County [/COLOR][/B]
      [COLOR=red][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]It is illegal to dance in public in Lancaster. [/COLOR]
      [B][COLOR=red]Spartanburg [/COLOR][/B]
      [COLOR=red][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red][COLOR=red]Eating watermelons in the Magnolia Street cemetery is forbidden.[/COLOR] [/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]

[/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2007 at 2:53 pm

Remarkable what kind of law exist.

California
      In 1930, the City Council of Ontario passed an ordinance forbidding roosters to crow within the city limits.
      In Los Angeles, you cannot bathe two babies in the same tub at the same time.
      It is illegal to drive more than two thousand sheep down Hollywood Boulevard at one time.
      In California, animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.
      In Los Angeles, a man is legally entitled to beat his wife with a leather belt or strap, but the belt can’t be wider than 2 inches, unless he has his wife’s consent to beat her with a wider strap.

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2007 at 3:50 pm

[SIZE=”6″]Florida[/SIZE] 😎

If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.

You may not fart in a public place after 6 P.M. on Thursdays.

It is considered an offense to shower naked.

You are not allowed to break more than three dishes per day, or chip the edges of more than four cups and/or saucers.

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2007 at 5:56 pm

And to think that “somebody” probably got paid to enact these laws 😀

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2007 at 9:00 pm

[B]Dumb Kentucky Laws [/B]

No person shall sell, exchange, offer to sell or exchange, display or possess living baby chicks, ducklings, or other fowl or rabbits which have been dyed or colored; nor dye or color any baby chicks, ducklings or other fowl or rabbits; nor sell, exchange, offer to sell or exchange or to give away baby chicks, ducklings or other fowl or rabbits, under two months of age in any quantity less than six, except that any rabbit weighing three pounds or more may be sold at an age of six weeks. Any person who violates this section shall be fined not less than $100 nor more than $500. -KRS 436.600 (Passed 1966 Ky. Acts ch. 215, sec. 5.)

It’s illegal to fish in the Ohio River in Kentucky without an Indiana Fishing License.

Any person who displays, handles or uses any kind of reptile in connection withany religious service or gathering shall be fined not less than fifty dollars ($50) nor more than one hundred dollars ($100). -KRS 437.060 (Passed 1942, from Ky. Stat. sec. 1267a-1.).

All bees entering Kentucky shall be accompanied by certificates of health, stating that the apiary from which the bees came was free from contagious or infectious disease. -KRS 252.130 (Passed in 1922; Repealed in 1948)

No person owning or controlling a billiard or pool table shall permit, for compensation or reward, any minor under eighteen (18) years of age to play any game on the table, unless such minor shall have first displayed an identification card containing his name, age, photograph, and the signature of his parents or guardian. The minor shall keep such identification card on his person, and it shall be subject to inspection at any time by any peace officer. The person owning or controlling such billiard or pool table shall keep and maintain a registration book in which each minor shall sign. The person owning or controlling such billiard or pool table shall supply a blank identification card to each parent or guardian who makes request for same. Any person who violates this section shall be fined not less than ten ($10) nor more than one hundred dollars ($100) for each offense. -KRS 436.320 (Passed 1893; Amended in 1954, Ky. Acts ch. 232, sec. 1)

It is illegal to fish with a bow and arrow in Kentucky.

Any person who appears on any highway, or upon the street of any city that has no police protection, when clothed only in ordinary bathing garb, shall be fined no less than five dollars nor more than twenty-five dollars.” – KRS 436.140 (Passed in 1922; Repealed in 1974)

Lexington
      By law, anyone who has been drinking is “sober” until he or she “cannot hold onto the ground.”

It is illegal to transport an ice cream cone in your pocket.

Owensboro
      A woman may not buy a hat without her husband’s permission.

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2008 at 9:07 am

Idaho Dumb laws:

Illegal for a man to give his sweetheart a box of candy weighing less than fifty pounds.

You may not fish on a camel’s back.

Riding a merry-go-round on Sundays is considered a crime.

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2008 at 10:16 am

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”6″][COLOR=”Blue”]Alabama

It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.
      Dominoes may not be played on Sunday.
      It is illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      March 9, 2008 at 10:32 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”4″][COLOR=”Blue”]Hawaii

• All residents may be fined as a result of not owning a boat.
      • Coins are not allowed to be placed in one’s ears.
      • Honolulu: Within the limits of any public park, it is unlawful to annoy any bird.
      • In Hawaii it is illegal to get a tattoo behind your ear or on your eyelid unless in the presence of a registered physician.
      • It used to be the law in Hawaii that children had to obey all “lawful and moral” commands of their parents.
      • It’s illegal for a shooting gallery to offer liquor as a prize. The shooter might want to come back after drinking the prize and try again.
      [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      March 10, 2008 at 4:57 pm

[B][U][COLOR=navy]Virginia and VA county laws[/COLOR][/U][/B]

[I]It is illegal to tickle women. [/I]

[I]It is illegal to kick your wife out of bed. (Lebanon)[/I]

[I]Spitting on a sea gull is not tolerated. (Norfolk)[/I]

[I]A man may face 60 days in jail for patting a woman’s derriere. (Norfolk)[/I]

[I]Women must wear a corset after sundown and be in the company of male chaperone. (Norfolk)[/I]

[I]No person may keep a skunk as a pet. (Prince William County)[/I]

[I]It is illegal to cuss about another. (Prince William County)[/I]

[I]It is illegal to flip a coin in a restaurant to see who pays for a coffee. (Richmond)[/I]

[I]It is legal for a man to beat his wife on the courthouse steps so long as it is before 8:00 pm. (Stafford County)[/I]

[I]If you are drunk and not driving your car, and the person who is driving the car is drunk as well, you may both receive DUI’s. (Virginia Beach)[/I]

[I]It is also unlawful to drive by the same place within 30 minutes on Atlantic Avenue.(Virginia Beach)[/I]

• Anonymous
      March 11, 2008 at 8:59 am

Ok, I admit I am from Nebraska, but what is with the ok to beat the wife on the courthouse steps ????

• Anonymous
      March 11, 2008 at 10:51 am

I agree Stacey! What about the fact that a man can get 60 days for patting a ‘[I]woman’s derriere’, [/I]but as you said, a wife can be beaten on the court house steps AT CERTAIN TIMES!

• Anonymous
      March 11, 2008 at 5:21 pm

In Kansas, restaurants cannot serve cherry pie ala-mode but you are allowed to shoot fish with a shotgun from an overhanging tree limb.

• Anonymous
      March 11, 2008 at 8:48 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”5″][COLOR=”Blue”]New Jersey Crazy Law

It is against the law for a man to knit during the fishing season.

You may not slurp your soup.

It is against the law to “frown” at a police officer. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      March 12, 2008 at 10:51 am

Anybody find a law about beating husbands during a certain time or place? [I][B]NOT[/B][/I] that I would want to do that you understand, just curious ……….;)

• Anonymous
      March 12, 2008 at 1:08 pm

🙂 [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=4]Ok Ali just what are you trying to say 😉 [/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      March 12, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Well Terry, whats good for the goose is good for the gander …. dont you think? All I can think is that since there are no laws about not beating your husband, that it probably means he can be beaten anyplace, anytime …:D And let me be clear, I would [B]NEVER[/B] beat my husband anywhere [SIZE=1][I](that cant be covered up)[/I] 😉 [/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2008 at 7:40 am

How fun. I agree with Ali ! I, too, would never beat my husband…but my friends’ husband, maybe. 🙂
      It would be very interesting to know more about this whole thing. The way the world is these days…how could a man REALLY get away with that ?

have a good day everyone.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2008 at 7:59 am

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]Just what got everyone started on this topic, your suppose to love your spouse. Not think about something like that ![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2008 at 8:48 am

I finally have one to add:

[B]The coyote is legally classified as a nuisance species and may be killed at anytime, except coyotes may not be killed with a gun, firearm, or other weapon on Sunday.[/B]

you might ask why I would have a reason to check out the coyote page on the Va Dept of Wildlife and Fisheries… saw one this morning – yep, absolutely sure it was a coyote – and on top of that apparently he and a skunk had just met in our front yard – right next to the air conditioner and the skunk sprayed the air conditioner. Guess what my house STILL smells like? 😮 😡 😮

P.S. I’m not going to kill it, I just wanted to know whether I should consider it a threat or not.

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Terry, I truly, madly, deeply (does anyone know the song?) love my hubby with all my heart, I just thought it was so strange to have a law that says husbands were allowed to beat their wives during a certain time.

Cleo ….. yuck! skunk smell …….. hope it goes away soon. in CA the cats and dogs would always be locked up at night because the coyotes used to walk down the streets in packs at night, the one morning the next door neighbors cats intestine etc. was lying all over our front lawn. I probably may be more scared of you, just keep your animules 😀 locked up.

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2008 at 9:22 am

HISTORY OF HOW SMILE POCATELLO CAME TO BE

In 1948, the Mayor of the City of Pocatello, George Phillips, passed an ordinance making it illegal not to smile in Pocatello. The Ordinance was passed “tongue in cheek” as a result of an exceptionally severe winter, which had dampened the spirit of City employees and citizens alike.

The Ordinance unintentionally remained on the books and was discovered by staff and later by a local reporter who wrote an article appearing in 1987 in the Idaho State Journal. The American Bankers Association chose our outdated ordinance to use in their national advertising campaign, emphasizing the theme of outdated laws to convince the United States Congress to modernize banking laws.

On December 10, 1987, in response to an invitation from Pocatello’s Mayor, representatives from the American Bankers Association visited Pocatello and declared our community the “U. S. Smile Capital.”

Pocatello received a great deal of national and international media attention for the “Smile Ordinance,” and in the spirit of fun, the event was perpetuated by making “Smile Days” an annual event.

Traditionally, our status as the U. S. Smile Capital is celebrated with a poster contest for elementary school children; a smile contest; “arrests” of those who do not smile; and a community celebration at the end of the week.

Join the fun and help us celebrate the universal language of a smile!

Keep Smiling!!!!!

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2008 at 9:49 am

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=purple]Here’s a couple of dumb laws from Ky The cities of Lexington & Owensboro.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [B]Lexington [/B]

By law, anyone who has been drinking is “sober” until he or she “cannot hold onto the ground.”

It is illegal to transport an ice cream cone in your pocket.

[B]Owensboro [/B]

A woman may not buy a hat without her husband’s permission.

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2008 at 10:56 pm

[LEFT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2][COLOR=red][B][SIZE=4]New Jersey [/SIZE][/B]
      • Automobiles are not to pass horse drawn carriages on the street.
      • Bernards Township: It is illegal to frown as the town is a “Frown-Free Town Zone”.
      • Caldwell: You may not dance or wear shorts on the main avenue.
      • Car dealerships are forbidden from opening on Sunday.
      • Cranford: Citizens are not permitted to park their own boat on their lawn.
      • Cresskill: All cats must wear three bells to warn birds of their whereabouts.
      • Elizabeth: It is forbidden for a woman, on a Sunday, to walk down Broad Street without wearing a petticoat.
      • If you have been convicted of driving while intoxicated, you may never again apply for personalized license plates.
      • In Berkley Heights you may not walk your cattle on the street on Sunday.
      • In Newark it is illegal to buy ice cream after 6:00 p.m.
      • In New Jersey it is illegal to delay or detain a homing pigeon.
      • In New Jersey, it is illegal to slurp soup.
      • It’s illegal in New Jersey for parents to give their children under the age of 18 even a sip of alcohol.
      • It is against the law for a man to knit during the fishing season.
      • It is against the law to “frown” at a police officer.
      • It is illegal to delay or detain a homing pigeon.
      • It is illegal to offer whiskey or cigarettes to animals at the local zoo.
      • It’s also illegal in this state to throw a bad pickle on the street.
      • Lovers in Liberty Corner should avoid satisfying their lustful urges in a parked car. If the horn accidentally sounds while they are frolicking behind the wheel, the couple can face a jail term.
      • Manville: It is illegal to offer whiskey or cigarettes to animals a the local zoo.
      • Newark: It is illegal to sell ice cream after 6pm, unless the customer has a note from his doctor.
      • Ocean City: People may not slurp their soup. Pinball machines are not to be played on Sunday. Raw hamburger may not be sold.
      • On a highway you can not park under a bridge.
      • Raritan: Profanity is prohibited.
      • Raw hamburger may not be sold.
      • Sea Isle City: There will be no boiling of bones on the property.
      • There is no horse racing allowed on the New Jersey Turnpike.
      • Trenton: You may not throw a bad pickle in the street. Pickles are not to be consumed on Sundays.
      • Unless you have a doctor’s note, it’s illegal to buy ice cream after 6 PM in Newark, New Jersey.
      • You cannot pump your own gas. All gas stations are full service and full service only.
      • You may not slurp your soup.[/COLOR] [/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2008 at 12:08 am

Between the hours of 8AM and 8PM, 70% of music on the radio must be by French artists.

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2008 at 11:23 pm

The Fed came up with this one:

[SIZE=”5″]Sec. 2074. False weather reports

Whoever knowingly issues or publishes any counterfeit weather forecast or warning of weather conditions falsely representing such forecast or warning to have been issued or published by the Weather Bureau, United States Signal Service, or other branch of the Government service, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ninety days, or both.

Last modified: April 12, 2006[/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      March 24, 2008 at 10:43 am

In Indiana, bathing is prohibited during the winter.

• Anonymous
      March 24, 2008 at 11:48 am

It is illegal to tie your horse to a hitching post on a Sunday.

• Anonymous
      March 27, 2008 at 5:49 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”5″][COLOR=”Blue”]Florida

If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2008 at 8:43 am

In California No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour.

• Anonymous
      April 22, 2008 at 1:00 am

It is illegal to kiss on railways in France.

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2008 at 8:25 am

In Wisconsin whenever two trains meet at an intersection of said tracks, neither shall proceed until the other has.

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2008 at 12:41 am

No pig may be addressed as Napoleon by its owner.

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2008 at 8:23 am

Dumb Law in Missouri
      Single men between the ages of twenty-one and fifty must pay an annual tax of one dollar (enacted 1820).

• Anonymous
      May 15, 2008 at 11:21 pm

Dumb Laws in Maine

Shotguns are required to be taken to church in the event of a Native American attack.

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2008 at 6:41 pm

[B][U]Alabama[/U][/B]
      It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.
      Dominoes may not be played on Sunday.
      It is illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church.

• Anonymous
      May 23, 2008 at 8:30 am

In Ohio, if you ignore an orator on Decoration day to such an extent as to publicly play croquet or pitch horseshoes within one mile of the speaker’s stand, you can be fined $25.

• Anonymous
      May 24, 2008 at 7:58 am

In Idaho Riding a merry-go-round on Sundays is considered a crime.

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2008 at 8:21 am

In Louisiana Law “Fake” wrestling matches are prohibited.

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2008 at 1:30 pm

[B][U]Louisiana[/U][/B]
      It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water pistol.

• Anonymous
      May 29, 2008 at 1:02 am

In France An ashtray is considered to be a deadly weapon.

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm

RI law Riding a horse over any public highway for the purpose of racing, or testing the speed of the horse is illegal.

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2008 at 1:15 am

In Canada — If you are released from prison, it is required that you are given a handgun with bullets and a horse, so you can ride out of town.

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2008 at 4:39 pm

In Florida it is illegal to ride a bike without a helmet, but it is not illegal to ride a motorcycle without one.

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2008 at 9:42 am

Dumb Law in Wisconsin
      At one time, margarine was illegal.

• Anonymous
      July 10, 2008 at 12:56 am

Dumb Law in Switzerland
      Clothes may not be hung to dry on Sunday.

• Anonymous
      July 10, 2008 at 1:48 pm

Colorado

Colorado Water laws prohibit the use of rain barrels or any methods to catch rain for use. They claim the rain has already been legally allocated to the state and individual may not capture and use water to which he/she does not have a right.

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2008 at 6:29 pm

[COLOR=red]More SC Laws:[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]Horses may not be kept in bathtubs. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]It is illegal to sell any alcoholic beverages on Sunday, unless you own a private club.
      A permit must be obtained to fire a missile.
      [/COLOR][COLOR=red]It is illegal to give or receive oral sex in South Carolina.
      When approaching a four way or blind intersection in a non-horse driven vehicle you must stop 100 ft from the intersection and discharge a firearm into the air to warn horse traffic.
      It is perfectly legal to beat your wife on the court house steps on Sundays.
      Every adult male must bring a rifle to church on Sunday in order to ward off Indian attacks.
      It is a capital offense to inadvertently kill someone while attempting suicide.
      A person must be eighteen years old to play a pinball machine.
      [/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2008 at 10:57 am

😀 [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=4]I sometimes wonder if the people that came up with those dumb laws, weren’t intoxicated. Here’s a couple from Ky.[/SIZE][/FONT]
      One may not dye a duckling blue and offer it for sale unless more than six are for sale at once.
      Throwing eggs at a public speaker could result in up to one year in prison.
      or one from Fort Thomas Ky. Dogs may not molest cars.

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2008 at 10:02 pm

Law in Wyoming: Any person who fails to close a fence is subject to a fine of up to seven hundred and fifty dollars.

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2008 at 10:58 pm

Florida:
      It is illegal to sell your children. [even if they are teenagers]

Jim C

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2008 at 1:07 am

Dumb Law in Vermont
      Women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2008 at 8:36 am

Now you have me going in looking up my laws for NC. LOL! No telling what I will find in my country hicktown state! LOL

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2008 at 2:26 pm

Dumb Law in Massachusetts: At a wake, mourners may eat no more than three sandwiches.

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2008 at 8:45 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”4″][COLOR=”Blue”]In Pennsylvania: Non-flavored bottled water is not taxable, but if it’s flavored it’s taxable – unless it contains at least 25% juice, in which case it’s not![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      August 7, 2008 at 9:28 am

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Here’s one from Fort Thomas, Ky that cracks me up. It is illegal for a dog to molest a car, That I would truly like to see, that should really be a funny sight. 😀 [/FONT]

• Anonymous
      August 7, 2008 at 4:22 pm

Dumb Law in Texas

When two trains meet each other at a railroad crossing, each shall come to a full stop, and neither shall proceed until the other has gone.

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Dumb Law in Mississippi: It is illegal to teach others what polygamy is.