Dr. House

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2010 at 11:42 am

I was watching a newer episode of Dr. House last night, the woman who had the digestive issues and the open marriage. It turned out she had Heinlein something purpura, which is an autoimmune disease I believe. At one point, she was paralyzed and I kept hoping that they would mention GBS! They said,”We will give you high dose IVIG and something else and you will be fine.” She had kidney failure at this point. I was excited that I knew about IVIG, but I was disappointed that they make it seem like, “oh you will have this treatment and you are good as new, no problems ever again.” That is Hollywood for you..wish it were so! Just sharing an interesting observation.

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I saw that one too and honestly I thought the same thing! House
      reminds me of some of the DR.’S I’ve seen over the years. Actually
      House is kinder.

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Ms. Judy,

That is scary..if Dr. House is kinder than some of the dr’s you’ve seen! 🙂 But I think he is big softy underneath and even though it is a challenge to him and a puzzle, I think deep down he does care about people and have humanity. I wish I could find a Dr. House!

It is one of my favorite shows and I think that the writing is very good. In this episode, I loved how they had the thread of honesty going in 3 different ways, with James and his ex-wife, and Taub and his wife, and the patient and her husband. It makes you think about things!!

I hope they do a GBS or CIDP episode sometime!

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I have heard them mention GBS on many shows of HOUSE in the past. Recently I am looking at the show differently. By the time it gets to the last 10 minutes and they have finally reached the correct diagnosis, the patient has already had major surgery and organs taken out. Don’t know how I missed that before. Maybe I am identifying with the patient more. I think we need to stop giving conditions a name….like Herpes. They should call it – the body has an imbalance of arginine and needs more Lysine. Or Gout- just call it “eat some cherries and you will be fine – too much uric acid in your system.” I would take the fear out of these diseases. Thank Goodness that Guillain-Barre sounds so much milder than French POLIO.

I bought HOUSE(Hugh Lauries’s) book at the library book sale …THE GUN SELLER..50 cents. Can’t wait to read it and see what his personality is really like – it is supposed to be funny.